Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC SE
Adding another data point from my recent flight last night YVR-YYZ red-eye AC 126.

SE this year. Booked in Flex (company policy) but using the app could see 16/21 booked in PE with me in the top three and 21/30 booked in business with me in the top 8.

Had a moment of hope when they upgauged from a 787 to 777-200LR which then made it 16/24 and 21/40 with me still in the same positions respectively. Thought I would sail through into J.

At the gate, GA told me that it was unlikely I would make J even with 19 open suites. Sure enough, somehow while the boarding started, the app lists instantly ballooned from 21/40 booked to 39/40 booked in J, even though the waitlist still unchanged, somehow. No idea how that happened.

I boarded and took my seat in Y.

As boarding ended, me and another SE in my row were approached by the GA who basically handed us new boarding passes for PE and moved us up.

I am trying to figure out what happened; the list didn't move at all. I hypothesize they op-uped a bunch of PE passengers ahead of people on the eUp list and then op-uped us. (of note, by boarding, my credits went back to my account so it looks like I ended up sitting in PY on their account, not mine.)

But also, making the point that I was despondent that I had definitely "YBYLed" it but still ended up with the wider seat and the parsley omelette at the usual godawful hour 90 minutes to landing.
​​​​
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Seems no way to hold out for J if there is room on PY.
Yes, it really does seem that the opportunity cost of 'cabin of service' means that jumping from Y to J is almost impossible. My experience from last night leaving me wondering if they moved up PE folks to J ahead of SE in Y placing an offering of eUps on the Aerolotto altar.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 29, 2024 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.