Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
Agree with this, but the other line I would also ask the gate agent is "please tell me when the J and PY cabins have boarded full"

Once the cabins have actually boarded full, it's very very unlikely that anything will change (technically someone could offlload, but that's not at all common) - so if the GA can tell you once they are full, you can then board Y and not have to be the very last person looking for bin space
Yeah, the issue is most GAs will say it's boarded full when they mean it's booked full or checked in full.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah, the issue is most GAs will say it's boarded full when they mean it's booked full or checked in full.
Yeah the usual announcement 'If you are waiting for an upgrade, business class has checked in completely full'.
Once everyone boards, some off duty crew will snag the seats - sometimes. Or someone lower down the upg list.
If I am one or two on the list I will wait. If I am lower down (as low as 26), no point in waiting.
billdokes and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by vernonc; Dec 20, 2023 at 9:22 am
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
On two occasions I have boarded and received a text that my upgrade has cleared. I called a FA to get me my new BP from the GA and moved seats. So I guess there is a system in place and perhaps its a lot of work for the GA.
Could it have been a case where you were upgraded earlier, but the text took a while to get to you? I had that happen a couple of weeks ago where I was upgraded at about T-40 (new boarding pass was pushed to the app) but I didn't receive SMS notification of an upgrade until the door closed.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by warrens
Could it have been a case where you were upgraded earlier, but the text took a while to get to you? I had that happen a couple of weeks ago where I was upgraded at about T-40 (new boarding pass was pushed to the app) but I didn't receive SMS notification of an upgrade until the door closed.
Could be. But I thought upgrades were processed around start of boarding and I scanned and boarded in Zon1 followed by most of the plane before I got the text.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
If your UG has been processed and a new BP issued then the old BP should scan an error code and prompt the GA to look for the new BP.
canadiancow, RangerNS and warrens like this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by billdokes
If your UG has been processed and a new BP issued then the old BP should scan an error code and prompt the GA to look for the new BP.
Yeah, you'd think, but I'm inclined to doubt and question everything these days given how much of a trainwreck eUpgrade notifications have been lately.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
If only there was a cowtool for that
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:50 am

Yeah, you'd think, but I'm inclined to doubt and question everything these days given how much of a trainwreck eUpgrade notifications have been lately.
I hear you on the trainwreck...lots of issues not just with e-Up notifications, but also boarding notifications, website issues, app issues, etc, etc...I don't think AC is winning any IT Excellence awards anytime soon. That said, I'm pretty sure each PAX can only have 1 seat attached to them so as soon as your e-Up is processed and you get a new seat your old BP should be invalid.
PhotoSmurf likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by billdokes
That said, I'm pretty sure each PAX can only have 1 seat attached to them so as soon as your e-Up is processed and you get a new seat your old BP should be invalid.
👍🏽 This feature would have nothing to do with eupgrades, as it must be a core feature of the DCS software
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So it's a little more complicated. If the Y segment doesn't drop off the PNR when the upgrade is cleared, then in theory both seats could be valid and active.

That's rare (but I've seen it).

Normally, when your upgrade clear, the Y segment disappears. And if you're no longer confirmed in Y, you're not going to be able to board with a Y seat assignment.
billdokes likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:21 pm
zam

Yup happened to me two weeks ago. I passed through with my original Y boarding pass. My wife who was also gate upgraded had her original boarding pass produce an error and they then gave us both the new boarding passes.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:06 pm

So it's a little more complicated. If the Y segment doesn't drop off the PNR when the upgrade is cleared, then in theory both seats could be valid and active.

That's rare (but I've seen it).
Almost 100% sure I saw it happen, too.

Earlier this year I sat beside a guy who boarded into PY. He had been upgraded to J but he didn't know it. The gate agent came up to him shortly after "boarding complete" was called, handed him a shiny new J boarding pass, and off he went.

But nobody came up from Y to take his seat. The flight went out "full", except for this one PY seat beside me.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 2:08 am

Almost 100% sure I saw it happen, too.

Earlier this year I sat beside a guy who boarded into PY. He had been upgraded to J but he didn't know it. The gate agent came up to him shortly after "boarding complete" was called, handed him a shiny new J boarding pass, and off he went.

But nobody came up from Y to take his seat. The flight went out "full", except for this one PY seat beside me.
That sucks that the GA came with one shiny new boarding pass, not 2. I'd have been pissed if I had been the first loser on the UG list and found out it went out with 1 empty while I was stuck in Y.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Seems no way to hold out for J if there is room on PY.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It is always advisable to ask if your UG has come thru as I have found out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.