Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That sounds nothing like YBYL, and absolutely something I would write in about.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Unless I know for sure that J has boarded full already, I'm not going to board.
Trust no one and make no assumptions!
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC E75K, WJ Gold, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Yep this past week I was YVR-YYZ waitlisted for J. I was watching the upgrade list (which wasn't processed yet) shrink as they called zone 1, 2, 3 lol. I got the upgrade to J after they called zone 4.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Trust no one and make no assumptions!
You should sell that phrase to AC so they can use it as their new marketing slogan!
yyznomad likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by dudestir
The gate agent for a YYZ-YVR A321 flight said the same thing last night. My friend was top of the waitlist for a J seat but the flight did show them all being full. With no PY she waited at the gate hoping. I texted her that 4 seats were still empty after those who boarded with zone 1 and 2 had loaded and she waited for awhile longer but finally thought there would be no overhead space if she waited any more. As soon as she boarded her name disappeared from the waitlist.

All four J seats did fill but who knows if anyone who hung out at the gate longer grabbed on of them.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do not board if your upgrade hasn't cleared.
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Unless I know for sure that J has boarded full already, I'm not going to board.
It becomes an interesting probabilities game - do you risk losing out on an upgrade or do you risk the walk of shame and inconvenience when you are late boarding the aircraft and all of the overhead bin space is full and your carry-on needs to be checked.

PS: When in J I am one of those who tries to be the last to board, no doubt angering those hoping to snag my seat.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

You're not going to be late boarding if you're standing at the gate.

Bin space can be an issue, but as long as it's not a 320 there shouldn't be much of an issue these days, no?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Bin space can be an issue, but as long as it's not a 320 there shouldn't be much of an issue these days, no?
I guess you don't fly E75's or CR9's much.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by The Lev

PS: When in J I am one of those who tries to be the last to board, no doubt angering those hoping to snag my seat.
Or pee in your seat.

There is that risk but I would at least argue that a "savvier" traveler would take that into account knowing then would be playing R games and they are lower on the list. Of course, sometimes there's no choice but to bring a carry on that can't fit under the seat in front.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
You're not going to be late boarding if you're standing at the gate.

There were space issues (likely not optimized) on the B788/789 flights we took in August. On one, we were last to board J after holding up the flight over needing to retrain gate agents on us not needing Covid tests.

We got to the last J bin with space right as FAs were motioning to each other to hold the space for Y bags they were bringing from the back. We won the space by a few seconds. Unsure how it would have played out otherwise.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:36 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by expert7700
... Unsure how it would have played out otherwise.
One would hope it would have played out exactly as one would expect being a J pax: remove those Y carry-ons from the J bins and throw them off the plane.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Far Siren
One would hope it would have played out exactly as one would expect being a J pax: remove those Y carry-ons from the J bins and throw them off the plane.
The FA handling the situation would need to be in the know or there would be someone nearby to mention that those were Y bags. So in this case it might turn out that way due to the temporal proximity of the Y bags needing a snuggly home.

Y pax get free J bin space, but J pax can't get free Y food!
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
I guess you don't fly E75's or CR9's much.
Sorry, yeah, I was only thinking of mainline.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

575 SFO-YVR was checked in 16/16 with two on the list.

Someone no showed.

My party of 3 now has row 3 to ourselves.

YBYL
expert7700 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:55 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Maybe it’s just me, but on five of the last six flights the GA has called Zone 1 and then immediately told pax that the system will take up to five minutes to clear any waitlists and pax in that situation should not board.

Since the language sounded near identical, I suspect this may now be part of the script.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Maybe it’s just me, but on five of the last six flights the GA has called Zone 1 and then immediately told pax that the system will take up to five minutes to clear any waitlists and pax in that situation should not board.

Since the language sounded near identical, I suspect this may now be part of the script.
I've noticed the same recently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.