Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've noticed the same recently.
All I've heard is 'if you were on the upgrade list today, no seats were available in either cabin, so board at listed zone'.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by expert7700
All I've heard is 'if you were on the upgrade list today, no seats were available in either cabin, so board at listed zone'.
Maybe this will be the next announcement I hear at the airport, from people who work at the airport.

Looking forward to ignoring it.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:41 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've noticed the same recently.
My flights they always announce Zone 1 and 2 at the same time..... must be my luck
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RZR
My flights they always announce Zone 1 and 2 at the same time..... must be my luck
Mine are all from recent transcon SS flights... were any of yours? Sounds like QK shenanigans to me.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:09 am

So, curious, how long does one play chicken with this YBYL thing? #1 on a list where 16/16 booked and checked in. Experience has taught me there can be checkin no shows, but with carry-on I hesitate slightly. Morning flight, so misconnects less likely.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
So, curious, how long does one play chicken with this YBYL thing? #1 on a list where 16/16 booked and checked in. Experience has taught me there can be checkin no shows, but with carry-on I hesitate slightly. Morning flight, so misconnects less likely.
-Gate agent can tell you if J boarded full (but they often brush us off or lie). Sometimes J is full by the time.Zome 2 is boarding. "how many of the 16 are onboard" is a better ? as it encourages them to actually look.

-Lurk to the side of the boarding computers, and try and catch a glimpse of J boarded vs unboarded #.

-Walk up at end of Zone 1/2 and instead of holding your BP to immediately scan, ask them to show you the count onboard, and say you will step aside till they tell you it is full.

-Send a spy in J who can text you the real count, and tell you when it is time to admit defeat and board.

-if another elite is spotted playing YBYL, and their name is above yours on the list, it gets more awkward. Carry-on space be damned, you need them to chicken out and board.

Last edited by expert7700; Jun 20, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Why was I not upgraded?

I am S100K member, and last week I requested for upgrade to J (using my e-upgrade credits), YOW - YYZ. Upon check-in, 16/16 booked, and I was #1 on the wait list for upgrade. Concierge and gate agent assured me that if seats opened up after I boarded, they would gladly come and move me to J. I boarded, and sat in my Y seat. Passengers were boarding, and seats were empty in J. Boarding completed, and I asked the FA regarding my upgrade, she had no idea. At the last minute, the J cabin was full of uniformed captains and FAs, including the FA who shrugged me earlier.

I was curious, is this correct? I thought AC employees only take J seats after the upgrade list of passengers is done. Thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:30 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by aircanada_loyal
Concierge and gate agent assured me that if seats opened up after I boarded, they would gladly come and move me to J.
Nope. Hence the existence of this thread, where I've moved your post.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 7:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
aircanada_loyal - to their credit, some GAs even go out of their way to make PA announcements at the gate telling people with pending upgrades not to board until they announce otherwise.

Not in every case, but more than 50% in my limited sample size.
kenlor likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
So you are telling me that had I stuck around the gate and not boarded, I'd have gotten a seat in J cabin.

My question is: do uniformed AC employees trump a revenue passenger?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: AC 75K
So you are telling me that had I stuck around the gate and not boarded, I'd have gotten a seat in J cabin.

Deadheading Captains do. Can’t remember if FOs are entitled too.
YYC3722 likes this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Jul 28, 2022 at 8:16 pm
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
aircanada_loyal - to their credit, some GAs even go out of their way to make PA announcements at the gate telling people with pending upgrades not to board until they announce otherwise.

Not in every case, but more than 50% in my limited sample size.
I'd say I'm 0% for hearing that.

Yes
Not in this specific case, assuming everything you've said is true.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Quite possibly.

If you've boarded, you've effectively taken yourself off the list. They don't trump you, they're just the last people left on the list.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Deadheading Captains do. Can’t remember if FOs are entitled too.
Deadheading pilots, whether captains or FOs, are entitled to J, and revenue passengers can even be downgraded, if need be, to accommodate them.

Deadheading FAs and all commuting staff only get what's left over.
YYC3722 and asovse1 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:26 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd say I'm 0% for hearing that.
Interesting.

My sample size of flights is smaller than yours, but maybe it's because I'm often at the gate before they commence boarding and thus get to hear the announcement? Dunno.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Interesting.

My sample size of flights is smaller than yours, but maybe it's because I'm often at the gate before they commence boarding and thus get to hear the announcement? Dunno.
​​​​​​ I've heard something like that once, on a flight that I hoped was overbooked, on a flight I didn't want to take. And I didn't board. They told everyone to board because J was full.

Then I called the concierge and SDC'd to a different flight.

So my only similar experience is pretty much the opposite
I stand by YBYL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.