Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
As has been proven here time and again, I think YBYL is the policy, and any exceptions are just by pure luck. Yet another area where AC could build some goodwill amongst their elites, but their staff are too lazy to bother.
Except there are also anecdotes that gate agents have gone onboard after boarding was complete to upgrade passengers who were on the upgrade waitlist. I have experienced that multiple times myself, even at YYZ. So it’s been proven time and again that YBYL is not always policy.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Almost.

All deadheading pilots sit in J. Period. The end.
Actually not. RP for examples are booked in Y with space available upgrades to J only. And under certain circumstances even CA deadhead can be seated in Y.

The details are outside of the scope of this thread. If you are interested to know more feel free to PM me.

Back to the thread though, in @VoodooYYC's situation, I don't think the GA jumped the FO to the J seat in front of him. That FO was likely originally booked in that J seats for the deadhead.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by etkuo

Actually not. RP for examples are booked in Y with space available upgrades to J only. And under certain circumstances even CA deadhead can be seated in Y.

The details are outside of the scope of this thread. If you are interested to know more feel free to PM me.

Back to the thread though, in @VoodooYYC's situation, I don't think the GA jumped the FO to the J seat in front of him. That FO was likely originally booked in that J seats for the deadhead.
I'm pretty sure @canadiancow was speaking in terms of AC only. At least that's how I read and understood it.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Edited for Double post.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm pretty sure @canadiancow was speaking in terms of AC only. At least that's how I read and understood it.
Maybe too many acronyms... RP for relief pilot and CA for captain instead of Air China and whatever airline RP is? That’s how they show up in the crew list.
etkuo likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

Maybe too many acronyms... RP for relief pilot and CA for captain instead of Air China and whatever airline RP is? That’s how they show up in the crew list.
Yes, I know.

My point is that @canadiancow was talking about AC in terms of their contract with the AC pilot's union.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Did you happen to see if any of the six that were ahead of you were cleared (based on the app)?
i can’t say that I did or didn’t. It would likely be a split second change from on the list to check mark to boarded by that time, no?

As for the rest, my mistake. I thought only 4 stripers were entitled to J, not the Assistant TO the 4 striper. Live and learn.

But given that it was YYZ, I’m going to continue to assume shenanigans or incompetence.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VoodooYYC

i can’t say that I did or didn’t. It would likely be a split second change from on the list to check mark to boarded by that time, no?

As for the rest, my mistake. I thought only 4 stripers we’re entitled to J, not the Assistant TO the 4 striper. Live and learn.

But given that it was YYZ, I’m going to continue to assume shenanigans or incompetence.
My understanding is that in (at least) the latest contract that FOs get J too. AFAIK, it wasn't like that in the past.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:51 pm

Labour contracts are available on this government website.
Negotech Search - Canada.ca

Alternatively feel free to PM
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by etkuo

Good to know, thanks.

But FOs are certainly entitled.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by YYT82
Small AC operated outstations sometimes do it better. Do not expect the same at YYZ/YUL/YVR/YYC. The YDF agent had plenty of time to do things right, since they wouldn't have much to do afterwards for maybe two hours, unlike YYZ where they run from gate to gate, flight to flight.
I can confirm that at least once a GA handed a passenger who e-upped a new boarding pass from Y to J after the passenger had boarded, and this all happened at YYZ.

I was shocked I tell you, shocked!!!!!! To receive that upgrade after boarding.

That being said, I delay boarding to the end if I did not get a confirmed e-up now.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The GA coming on board into PY or Y and handing someone a J BP is not something new or earth shattering. I've seen it at least over 100 times in the past several years.
The problem or issue is that this should be the case most or all of the time.

But in any case, YBYL should be the assumption for all of us...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
The GA coming on board into PY or Y and handing someone a J BP is not something new or earth shattering. I've seen it at least over 100 times in the past several years.
Agreed, nothing new about that. I actually discovered I had received an op-up once when a gentleman presented himself at my Y seat with a boarding pass for that same seat.

The problem or issue is that this should be the case most or all of the time.
Also agreed. However, I’ve noticed a significant uptick in GAs explicitly asking pax on the upgrade waitlist to remain in the gate area once boarding has commenced. That’s discouraging for all the bin space reasons mentioned upthread, but may also suggest a shift towards a more global implementation of a YBYL policy at AC. I’m sure some GAs will continue to “do the right thing” and upgrade pax based on their priority before boarding commenced, but I expect more often than not, “the system” will run the show.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

Agreed, nothing new about that. I actually discovered I had received an op-up once when a gentleman presented himself at my Y seat with a boarding pass for that same seat.

Also agreed. However, I’ve noticed a significant uptick in GAs explicitly asking pax on the upgrade waitlist to remain in the gate area once boarding has commenced. That’s discouraging for all the bin space reasons mentioned upthread, but may also suggest a shift towards a more global implementation of a YBYL policy at AC. I’m sure some GAs will continue to “do the right thing” and upgrade pax based on their priority before boarding commenced, but I expect more often than not, “the system” will run the show.
Perhaps this is an "improvement" in terms of informing those on the list.

But if you already know the YBYL game, the announcement is moot for you.
And if you don't know the YBYL game, you'd have to be there and hear it/pay attention when the GA announces it, or you might board and miss out.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by ffsim
may also suggest a shift towards a more global implementation of a YBYL policy at AC. I
Or that some internal or back channel chat system spread a way to be even more lazy efficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.