Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
The gist of this thread is that if you board while waiting for an upgrade, and someone no-shows for J, there is a decent chance the agent will not come on to upgrade you. There are no guarantees either way though.
Print Wikipost

YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I have a worse version of YBYL than not getting cleared for the upgrade: when the GA *did* upgrade you after boarding (& the upgrade instruments were withdrawn from your account) but nobody actually bothered to tell you and you sat in Y for the flight.
Oh man that's infuriating. You can't even prove that you sat in Y, short of having a fortuitous string of selfies...

Originally Posted by canopus27
I've had them tell me that "nope, there's no chance" ... and then I notice (by reading upside down) that my new (upgraded) BP has already been printed out and is sitting on the counter in front of them.
Thankfully, the in-app upgrade list has gone a long way in making those kinds of situations a blast from the past ^
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
I had a gate agent apologize that the best she could get us upgraded to Premium Economy from YYZ-DXB. Turns out when she handed us our boarding passes, she had upgraded a 7yr old to J... Rather than pointing this out, I quickly traded boarding passes and got the better end of the deal.

//the 7 year old.... err, my 7 year old apparently had more seniority on the upgrade list
The kid sat in PY by himself, or was there a third person in your party?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'd never heard YBYL before, but man I've lived it, I hate that it's a thing, but I almost hate more the inverse.

I Volunteered for the bump at BOG a few weeks ago (for a UA) flight, no bags, plenty of time on the connections could've easily been rerouted home no problems. I ask if they'll need me, she flippantly says (without looking at a damn thing and not even being at the podium) "No, we're ok". I kinda brushed it off because of the way she acted and I said "ok, well they asked on the website, but I don't wanna stand around at the gate for the next hour while you guys decide, here's my name, seat number, I'll be right above the gate in the lounge". Sure enough she comes up to the lounge 10 mins later to ask me for more info and says "we'll probably need you, but obviously I can't tell until the end". I understand this completely. My problem is you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. So I wait and wait, everyone boards, then I get told they don't need my seat. Great...I board, there's no room in the overhead for my carry on, there's no room under the seat in front of me even for my backpack because the entertainment box takes up a big chunk of the space. I look to the overheads (at the back of the plane where I was sitting, like 3 rows from the back) and of course, 1 is for blankets/other crap, 1 is LOCKED and for flight crew and 1 for flight instruments/fire suppression stuff (who could EASILY have their bags in the hold as gate delivery items) so now you've got a full flight, overheads are usually a disaster, plus 3 huge overheads that are off limits. The flight attendant starts giving me crap about it. I was trying to be helpful, though a VDB is beneficial for me too, but it certainly keeps them from any fighting with passengers, but I'm getting attitude from the flight attendants? I'd rather just board the plane first (if I've got my carry-on, I often board early with my status) get my needed space, then get the boot off the plane afterward, since I've already volunteered you won't need to Dr. Dao me, if they need the space.

So it's really, YBYL or YDBYL...screwed either way. I'm sure I've missed an upgrade along the way by not being at the gate too, wouldn't it be awesome if we all had devices where they could contact us quickly and silently using all the personal info we've given them? How awesome would an alert be in your AC/UA app that says "You've been upgraded on your YVR-YYZ flight, please click here to receive your new boarding pass" and it could just have a "cancel" next to it or something to deny the upgrade in case you're travelling in a group you wanna stay with.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Before the upgrade list on the app days: red eye SFO-YYZ. Waitlisted for Business and told that I was near the top. Boarding is called, so asked at the desk about the upgrade. Didn't get it and no chance - all full. So I board with Group 2 and settle into 14A - wrap and inflatable pillow all tucked in for the night- and take a Benadryl. At the end of boarding, a woman boards holding a bp for 14 A and tells me I'm in her seat. FA comes back, confers with the boarding agent, and voila, it turns out that I'd been upgraded and no one bothered to tell me when I asked (or it happened after I boarded - no one knew). Told brusquely that I've have to move to my assigned seat (my boarding pass said 14A, and I had asked!). So, I have to get all my stuff together and change seats into 3A after everyone has boarded. I suppose I could have just told the woman to go sit in my seat in J, but I wasn't thinking that fast (and shouldn't have combined the Benadryl and a glass of United Club wine) and it was a red-eye. I looked like a right rube dragging my pillow and blankie up with me to J. And on deplaning, my rollaboard was still back above row 14.

Early December had a YBYL at YYZ. Told by the Concierge she'd put me on the upgrade list as a courtesy as I was running to make the connection they thought I'd not make. I'd called to get put back on my original flight, as I had gotten the "we've rebooked you" text on landing. Made it to the gate before boarding - according to the app, number 2 on the list with 2 seats open in J (I'm SE). Asked at the gate as I arrived 30 min before the listed departure time - growled at that I didn't get it, please take the assigned 21 C next to the mid-cabin bathroom on the A321 (had lost 14D during the unloaded - reloaded "we rebooked your connection for you just in case" part) and get on the plane and don't ask silly questions. Mentioned the waitlist on the app and was told to call the concierge. After boarding, looked at the app again - I'm no longer on the upgrade list (clearly YBYL, as had been on just before boarding), but they're showing 2 empty in J, then 3 empty. Called the concierge, who chatted with the gate agent, and I finally got moved up to J. Flight left with 2 empty in J. And of course, the credits got deducted for my "courtesy" upgrade, but since free upgrades aren't SOP at AC, I'm not going to fuss about that. The 2 concierges with whom I'd spoken that day were polite, very helpful, and pro-active. The gate agents ... not quite.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dibby
Before the upgrade list on the app days: red eye SFO-YYZ. Waitlisted for Business and told that I was near the top. Boarding is called, so asked at the desk about the upgrade. Didn't get it and no chance - all full. So I board with Group 2 and settle into 14A - wrap and inflatable pillow all tucked in for the night- and take a Benadryl. At the end of boarding, a woman boards holding a bp for 14 A and tells me I'm in her seat. FA comes back, confers with the boarding agent, and voila, it turns out that I'd been upgraded and no one bothered to tell me when I asked (or it happened after I boarded - no one knew). So, I have to get all my stuff together and change seats into 3A after everyone has boarded. I suppose I could have just told the woman to go sit in my seat in J, but I wasn't thinking that fast (and shouldn't have combined the Benadryl and a glass of United Club wine) and it was a red-eye. I looked like a right rube dragging my pillow and blankie up with me to J. And on deplaning, my rollaboard was still back above row 14.

Early December had a YBYL at YYZ. Told by the Concierge she'd put me on the upgrade list as a courtesy as I was running to make the connection they thought I'd not make. I'd called to get put back on my original flight, as I had gotten the "we've rebooked you" text on landing. Made it to the gate before boarding - according to the app, number 2 on the list with 2 seats open in J (I'm SE). Asked at the gate as I arrived 30 min before the listed departure time - didn't get it, please take the assigned 21 C next to the mid-cabin bathroom on the A321 (had lost 14D during the unloaded - reloaded "we rebooked your connection for you just in case" part) and get on the plane and don't ask silly questions,, and was told to call the concierge. Looked at the app - I'm no longer on the upgrade list (clearly YBYL, as had been on just before boarding), but they're showing 2 empty in J, then 3 empty. Called the concierge, who chatted with the gate agent, and I finally got moved up to J. Flight left with 2 empty in J. And of course, the credits got deducted for my "courtesy" upgrade, but since free upgrades aren't SOP at AC, I'm not going to fuss about that. The 2 concierges with whom I'd spoken that day were polite, very helpful, and pro-active. The gate agents ... not quite.
You definitely drop off the app's version of the onload list when you board.

Given that some people have been upgraded after boarding, you clearly don't drop off the main list, or some other list (there are at least two).

I'm at the point where I won't board unless I can see the GA's screen that says J has boarded full.

One time I was flying with three other people. Two of us were in J, two were waitlisted (both SE, top of the list). I told them to hang back. I boarded first, noticed that "zone 1" was saying 3 passengers left. Then the other J pax boarded, and it dropped to 2. "Nevermind, J has boarded full, come on."

But GAs tend to believe that if J has checked in full, that's the end of it. And I clearly proved that wrong on Sunday (by SDCing after the announcement was made that they were full and there would be no upgrades).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:13 pm

Flying out of DXB.
Passenger talking on phone boards in PY cabin.
It sounds like he's talking to someone about upgrades.
He leaves his stuff at the seat, marches off the plane.
Comes back 10 minutes later with a new boarding pass for row 1.

He almost lost.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by tracon
Flying out of DXB.
Passenger talking on phone boards in PY cabin.
It sounds like he's talking to someone about upgrades.
He leaves his stuff at the seat, marches off the plane.
Comes back 10 minutes later with a new boarding pass for row 1.

He almost lost.
Assume it was a concierge. You’d hope the plane wouldn’t leave without someone who just left his stuff on board, at least without removing it first.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by Vancouver Guy
About two weeks ago I was on YYZ-YVR in PE. The plane was very full. Just before takeoff the GA came to our row and moved the fellow in the middle seat next to me to J. I wasn't on the list so I don't know if anyone else got upgraded.

I'm not doubting that YBYL may be an unwritten (or written!) guideline, but my recent experience was to the contrary.

Same experience- I had previously asked if there was any possibility of e-upgrade at the gate, GA told me unlikely as very full and more elites ahead of me. Indeed my e-up request did not go through and several elites were called to the gate to get their new BPs.

Low and behold, when I was seated in my comfortable Y seat (forget which plane, but no seat in front just the FA seat facing you, so unlimited leg room)- FA came to me and provided me a J BP and relocated me, and another pax took my nice Y seat.
I later saw that 10 e-ups were duly removed from my account
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Last month in FRA boarded with Y BP and sat in my seat (18A). Concierge come on board and presented my with a PY Seat (12 E). I was on the list, so it does happen from time to time.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I am slightly concerned about my YYZ MCO flight, booked in X but paid for I, should I go to gate directly and wait there until last minute to ensure I will get upgraded properly or just let the GA do his thing?

On the other hand, I have seen plenty of times GA(or FA) coming in to PY or Y to present ppl with boarding passes so maybe the system does work(sometimes)
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by expert7700
Turns out when she handed us our boarding passes, she had upgraded a 7yr old to J... Rather than pointing this out, I quickly traded boarding passes and got the better end of the deal.
This has to be the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever. :P
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
My experience on wide-bodies (ie. 777 & 787) between YVR-YYZ is that after boarding is complete the gate agent will usually come on-board and hand out upgrades. I've been upgraded at least 2 times in past year, where they come on-board to give me a J BP.

For 777 flight, that means boarding might start T-60, but flight doesn't close until T-45. If you're on the upgrade list, then you should at least wait until T-40! I believe they have to manually print the upgrade list at closing time, otherwise your name is cleared from the list after you board.

My sense is on small aircrafts and shorter routes the gate agent can decide if they want to go on-board or just to give it to someone who hasn't board. Personally, I ONLY care on longer flights (3+ hours) that they come on-board.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I am slightly concerned about my YYZ MCO flight, booked in X but paid for I, should I go to gate directly and wait there until last minute to ensure I will get upgraded properly or just let the GA do his thing?

On the other hand, I have seen plenty of times GA(or FA) coming in to PY or Y to present ppl with boarding passes so maybe the system does work(sometimes)
You can see your position on the list in the app. You can see them clear the list in the app.

I don't know why you're concerned.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC
Didnt know this. Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by kiokujai
Didnt know this. Thanks!
It is newish, and probably does reduce a lot of shenanigans.

YBYL is, I think, more about OpUps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.