Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
Sleeping - by a far margin over in-flight dining.

I never really understood the need to ingest so may (unhealthy?) calories and then be sedentary for then next 8 - 16 hours.

I just want to be left completely alone from boarding until deplaning. If I really need something, I'm adult enough to know how to subtly and discretely get the attention a cabin crew member.

I know crew have it hard, since they have to deal with all types, and actions usually boil down to the lowest common demonstrator. I wish there was some way to include in our FF profile some sort of flag that lets the crew know not to interact with me, sort of like a DNR for medical staff. ^

This is the prime reason why I always board at the last possible moment - I just don't want to be bothered by all the unnecessary questions related to pre-boarding drinks, meals, coats, etc. Just let me be and sleep!
I can sleep at home, but I don't have people walking around asking me what drink I want and offering me various meal courses to choose from Sleeping=highly overrated, unless of course you suffer from sleep apnea.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
TK does this too.
Yep, you are right. Most passengers do not go to bed before the flight takes off. A good and forward thinking SD, should be taking orders or chatting up passengers prior to take off and asking if they prefer to dose off or enjoy AC's luxurious afternoon tea and light refreshments served on periwinkle bone china.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona
Sleeping - by a far margin over in-flight dining.

I never really understood the need to ingest so may (unhealthy?) calories and then be sedentary for then next 8 - 16 hours.

I just want to be left completely alone from boarding until deplaning. If I really need something, I'm adult enough to know how to subtly and discretely get the attention a cabin crew member.

I know crew have it hard, since they have to deal with all types, and actions usually boil down to the lowest common demonstrator. I wish there was some way to include in our FF profile some sort of flag that lets the crew know not to interact with me, sort of like a DNR for medical staff. ^

This is the prime reason why I always board at the last possible moment - I just don't want to be bothered by all the unnecessary questions related to pre-boarding drinks, meals, coats, etc. Just let me be and sleep!
Damn how do I get one of those?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
On SAA and EVA Air they just ask. Which is as good as a sticker lol
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Sleep sleep sleep.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
On SAA and EVA Air they just ask. Which is as good as a sticker lol
Only if they remember what you said and care enough to adhere to it.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Damn how do I get one of those?
You have to be a common demonstrator.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
You have to be a common demonstrator.
I'll print out some giant signs for everyone on my next flight.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
These stickers were in the amenity kit from all of my recent TK flights.

Personally, my preference is sleep.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
Oh and BTW, I remember some airlines (KE I think) having signs in the magazine pocket for "wake up for meal service" and "do not disturb". That's a nice touch.
I haven't flown KE, but also can't remember which airline does this (post right above - it was TK!). Great idea, costs almost nothing. I may know if I want the first meal, but on long haul I have no idea what I'll want.

One thing that would be nice is a snack/sandwich that would be available on leaving the plane. I've never seen it and usually bring my own, but I may still have a couple of hours of travel or need to rush to a meeting (OK - not me, but others!) and a quick snack (or bacon butty in London) is a really great help. Same with hotels that will pack a quick breakfast for super-early departures when I can't make breakfast.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
These stickers were in the amenity kit from all of my recent TK flights.

Personally, my preference is sleep.
Stickers have come and gone in the past and kudos to TK for the direction on where to "stick it". Remember well stickers being plastered on tray tables, tv monitors, sidewalls, windows, bathroom mirrors, and tray table covers which required solvent to remove the adhesive backing.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Stickers have come and gone in the past and kudos to TK for the direction on where to "stick it". Remember well stickers being plastered on tray tables, tv monitors, sidewalls, windows, bathroom mirrors, and tray table covers which required solvent to remove the adhesive backing.
What about the crumbs on the plane seats, how much does it cost to remove those? I have not in my entire travelling life seen any stickers stuck in the washroom or tv screens, but have seen hair and crumbs of food in the seats as well as the side panelling of the plane in the cabin, wish they could clean that instead.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
given technology now, you dont need stickers. I would love to see the menu, drinks, meal preferences all on the IFE. if you need a G&T, you dont need to call anyone for it. Same with if I want to be woken up or not for meals.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by karachi
given technology now, you dont need stickers. I would love to see the menu, drinks, meal preferences all on the IFE. if you need a G&T, you dont need to call anyone for it. Same with if I want to be woken up or not for meals.
The Panasonic ex3 system has the menu as well as the duty free offerings on the IFE system. Regardless, a printed menu still remains a staple product in the premium cabins of most airlines AFAIK.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
The Panasonic ex3 system has the menu as well as the duty free offerings on the IFE system. Regardless, a printed menu still remains a staple product in the premium cabins of most airlines AFAIK.
As it should be!

Along with printed newspapers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.