Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Why do they have to clear it away?
A nice sandwich is all I am asking for. Doubt they have to clean away that by law?
My answers to "Why not?":

!. Because the food in all of the MLLs - especially international - is not what I consider quality. There were some excellent choices the summer of 2015 but it has now evolved to nothing that I can eat.

There has not been any consistency with offerings and quite frankly, the fact that someone at AC and Compass made the decision to fill MLLs with giant bowls of pickles, has completely eroded my trust in their ability to serve anything edible, except for some of the plain greens.

2. Many business fliers arrive strait from work and don't always have time to MLL

3. I don't want the mess that comes with people carrying food from the MLL onboard.

Last I checked, the MLL doesn't offer anything that one can take-out (well except for Coke Zero And I don't see the few staff there getting busy with wrapping meals to go.

4. They had nice sandwiches. On baguettes.
They took those away.

While AC's plane food in J has not been as good as the meals I had in 2015, at least there are some options and I am being served.

I have enough to do before a 13 hour or 16 hour flight without wanting to stand in a buffet line, look at utensils in serving bowls and such.

BTW, the reason they sell sandwiches in the terminal is for those who'd like to eat them prior to flight or bring them onboard.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by 24left

Last I checked, the MLL doesn't offer anything that one can take-out (well except for Coke Zero And I don't see the few staff there getting busy with wrapping meals to go.
Many lounges that I've visited, have signs that clearly state that food and beverage is for (general) consumption in the facility.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Many lounges that I've visited, have signs that clearly state that food and beverage is for (general) consumption in the facility.
That too!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: TK *G
On TPAC and Canada bound TATL flights, I prefer dining over sleeping, with the exceptions of late night departures, for example, when AC8 is late leaving HKG.

I think as long as meal order is taken on the ground, it's easy to ask passengers if they want the meal service or they prefer to sleep, as everyone should be awake at this moment.

I think the most awkward meal service is probably the breakfast AC156. It's too early for both YYZ and YVR time, and when meal service finishes, we still have around 45 to 60 minutes to YYZ.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
You may have noticed that boarding is a pretty chaotic time. Grabbing a chocolate bar, chips or nuts would certainly not be an issue.
I understand, but if you are already going back and forth to check inventory, offer OJ and ask people for their meal choice. Would giving a J pax a wrap(or have it in tray) be that difficult?

Esp since this J pax prob would not eat a meal afterwards, which does save some efforts for FAs, no?

Obviously I am just making this commentary from outside looking in, so please clarify or correct me if I am wrong

I also notice from the moment the door is shut to we begin rolling there seems always to be 10+ minutes of quiet, calm period.... which would be a good time to give some sandwich if pax want one?

I am buying sandwich before I board the redeye next time, but I am just not chilled with the fact I have to pay it out of pocket. :P
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

Oh and BTW, I remember some airlines (KE I think) having signs in the magazine pocket for "wake up for meal service" and "do not disturb". That's a nice touch.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
As an aside, are there many travellers who place a higher value on the inflight food than the comforts associated with premium cabin travel?
BKK-MUC TG F, 6 hour layover, MUC-LAX LH F.

Two 12 hour flights, arriving mid afternoon at my destination.

I'm certainly not going to be sleeping the whole time, and I want to try the food and drinks that are offered.

Very different from something like a SFO-YYZ red-eye.

And is the food not a comfort?
Suspended

Back to the topic of eat or sleep onboard, or combo

It is not that hard. And for example, certainly watching the crews of CX 829 to HKG which leaves at 01:45, or the crews of AC 8 which departs HKG early evenings come around, let you know that your special meal has been boarded, ask your preference re dining vs sleeping...it's all manageable.

One other thing - on those flights where I opted to sleep and asked for my meal later, all of the crews advised that they would need time to heat up the hot food. Well of course, as I would expect. I do understand their point of clarifying as some pax may think the food was already heated and being kept warm.

I just did it on CX, I did it on all recent AC 8s. It was great.

The key, as we know, is training, prep and consistency.
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I understand, but if you are already going back and forth to check inventory, offer OJ and ask people for their meal choice. Would giving a J pax a wrap(or have it in tray) be that difficult?

Esp since this J pax prob would not eat a meal afterwards, which does save some efforts for FAs, no?

Obviously I am just making this commentary from outside looking in, so please clarify or correct me if I am wrong

I also notice from the moment the door is shut to we begin rolling there seems always to be 10+ minutes of quiet, calm period.... which would be a good time to give some sandwich if pax want one?
Logistically, feeding Customers during the boarding process is not feasible and I'm not aware of any airline that engages in this practice. Furthermore to your point about 10+ minutes - service is technically supposed to cease once the aircraft pushes back as per M.O.T. requirements.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Logistically, feeding Customers during the boarding process is not feasible and I'm not aware of any airline that engages in this practice. Furthermore to your point about 10+ minutes - service is technically supposed to cease once the aircraft pushes back as per M.O.T. requirements.
Agreed. The most I've ever received on the ground was an amuse bouche and choice of olives and/or nuts along with a beverage (or more) of my choice, which was in LH F. But I certainly wouldn't expect that from any airline in J.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
We are not supposed to be forced to choose between these two, right? Is this the new Air Canada future customer enhancement survey?

Seriously I consider the cabin seat's comfort level for sleep is the most important thing in overseas trips. Meanwhile, not sure AC will be able to bring a better product than the current pod (by no means I consider AC's product is among the best or top ten), so no point to say much, and equally I don't consider AC's meal choices are the best, so I see no point to complaint about either.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by lespoir
We are not supposed to be forced to choose between these two, right? Is this the new Air Canada future customer enhancement survey?

Seriously I consider the cabin seat's comfort level for sleep is the most important thing in overseas trips. Meanwhile, not sure AC will be able to bring a better product than the current pod (by no means I consider AC's product is among the best or top ten), so no point to say much, and equally I don't consider AC's meal choices are the best, so I see no point to complaint about either.
The ability to sleep on the side?
Some modification can make it possible without getting rid of current pods.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I want sleep.

Cant remember which airline, might of been SQ that had little stickers that said... wake me up for meals.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I want sleep.

Cant remember which airline, might of been SQ that had little stivjers that said... wake me up for meals.
Stickers?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Agreed. The most I've ever received on the ground was an amuse bouche and choice of olives and/or nuts along with a beverage (or more) of my choice, which was in LH F. But I certainly wouldn't expect that from any airline in J.
Another case I can think of was when we were on a ground delay at gate. Pretzel was handed out to Y passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.