Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

Sleeping or Dining? Meal orders have been taken on the ground and no indication for flexible (hold-the-meal) dining has been indicated. International night flight - and a gentle nudge invokes no reaction. Is there a general preference to be woken up or to just stay down for the count until the next meal service?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Sleeping or Dining? Meal orders have been taken on the ground and no indication for flexible (hold-the-meal) dining has been indicated. International night flight - and a gentle nudge invokes no reaction. Is there a general preference to be woken up or to just stay down for the count until the next meal service?
Good question.

Here's how it was done on CX, SQ, LH and BR and one of my AC 7s, plus 3 recent AC 8s:

"Would you like to join us for dinner service or would you prefer to sleep?
If you prefer to sleep, would you like us to serve you your main meal later on or would you prefer just something light?"

Also asked in most of these cases: "Would you like to be woken for breakfast or would you prefer to sleep longer?"

Brilliantly executed by all but especially the teams on 7/8 as I did not expect them to ask.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue
That's a tough one. It really depends on what I have to do on day of arrival. If work, sleep is a priority... if day off, it will be dining...

Either way, I will try to let the FA or SD know.

R&F

Last edited by run&fly; Jun 3, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I like the way BA does it on the YYZ-LHR flights. There is a full dinner service in the lounge, but an abbreviated dinner service in the air. As part of the pre departure beverage service they ask if you'll be sleeping or having dinner. If you want to sleep they leave you alone until breakfast.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
That's a tough one.

If the pax has (fully) reclined their seat, I think it's fair to assume they don't want to be woken up.

If they look like they've just nodded off (with the seat in the uprigth position), I think a nudge and possibly talking at the client is a reasonable effort. To the degree possible, I think it would be nice to keep a cold tray handy for them (not sure whether those are locked away / disposed of after dinner time) in case they do wake up.

It's not uncommon for me to nod off during departure on late evening flights, but I generally "signal" that I want to have dinner by deploying the tray (which most FAs seem to understand).
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Why cant we have the ability to eat the meal on the ground before taking off?
Esp on the YVR-YYZ red eye, or the ability to atleast get a quick bite(wrap, chips snacks etc

Additionally, I have flew AC's J about 10-12 times now, and with the exception of AC156, I can never request to be waken up for meal X hours into the flight. Very disappointing
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Why cant we have the ability to eat the meal on the ground before taking off?
Esp on the YVR-YYZ red eye, or the ability to atleast get a quick bite(wrap, chips snacks etc
Are you asking about the catered onboard meal to eat on the ground?
Never going to happen and I don't think it's a good idea even if logistis and catering can manage it.

As for eating in the MLL, the food is not what I consider to be acceptable pre-flight dining that comes anywhere near what is offered in the business lounges such as: ANA NRT and HND, CX HKG (Pier J, Bridge etc), BA SIN, QF SIN, SQ SIN, SQ LHR, BR TPE, etc

I'd even consider some of the food offered the *A @ HKG (SQ, TG) to be quite good on some days.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I feel like this is something you can never win.

Sometimes I'd want to be woken, other times not.

Asking in advance is the best way to handle it, but then you better damn well follow the response, because at that point, I'm putting my faith in you.

I'm still annoyed that SQ asked me if I wanted to be woken up for my second meal, I said yes, and they did not wake me up.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Sleeping or Dining?
Sleeping. Arriving well-rested and peckish is better than arriving with a full tummy but sleep-deprived. Much easier to solve the former problem.

But we're presupposing a need for FAs to guess. Being able to articulate one's mealtime preference to an FA should be a no-brainer mandatory pre-flight item. Why can't this question be answered prior to pushback?

As an aside, are there many travellers who place a higher value on the inflight food than the comforts associated with premium cabin travel?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Are you asking about the catered onboard meal to eat on the ground?
Never going to happen and I don't think it's a good idea even if logistis and catering can manage it.
Why not?

Originally Posted by 24left
As for eating in the MLL, the food is not what I consider to be acceptable pre-flight dining
Which is why I am making this request
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Why not?
Really? How long should they delay the departure - until they've cleared away your cheese plate?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:22 pm

I think it would be great if AC offered proper pre-flight dining in the lounge, especially for flights that take off after 8pm.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Really? How long should they delay the departure - until they've cleared away your cheese plate?
Why do they have to clear it away?
A nice sandwich is all I am asking for. Doubt they have to clean away that by law?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That's a tough one.

If the pax has (fully) reclined their seat, I think it's fair to assume they don't want to be woken up.

If they look like they've just nodded off (with the seat in the uprigth position), I think a nudge and possibly talking at the client is a reasonable effort. To the degree possible, I think it would be nice to keep a cold tray handy for them (not sure whether those are locked away / disposed of after dinner time) in case they do wake up.

It's not uncommon for me to nod off during departure on late evening flights, but I generally "signal" that I want to have dinner by deploying the tray (which most FAs seem to understand).
You've pretty much nailed how I would handle it. Fully reclined (with the duvet over the head) sends a pretty clear message, whereas partially reclined and nodded off, would warrant a light tap & perhaps even leave the appetizer tray there for a reasonable/brief period of time. Cheese, dessert and light snacks are almost always available, and the actual tray w/appetizer will be held until there are signs of life -- more often than not, it is declined.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Why do they have to clear it away?
A nice sandwich is all I am asking for. Doubt they have to clean away that by law?
You may have noticed that boarding is a pretty chaotic time. Grabbing a chocolate bar, chips or nuts would certainly not be an issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.