Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What do You Value More In-flight? Sleeping or Dining?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
The ability to sleep on the side?
Some modification can make it possible without getting rid of current pods.
I still complain about the upper leg room in the current pod.

Two days ago, I was flying AC3 to Tokyo and the captain announced that this brand new 789 was making its maiden flight to overseas trip...yet, my 6K seat was broken. The flight attendant was timely making a comment like "oh, likely for th last few days in the domestic flights, someone abused the seat..."
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by 24left
Stickers?
Yep.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Guys - the question asked here is

Not how to improve pods.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:08 pm

On longer evening-departing flights, I like getting a meal and a digestif and then going to sleep. TK has this nailed with their YUL - IST and IST - SIN flights as they both leave just before or after midnight local time.

For a middle-of-the-day flight (e.g. SIN -PER), just give me a meal and let me read my book.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Centurion, JetSmarter
Depends if it's day or night flight. But sleep/rest will always be more important when you're trying to get from point A to point B in the best conditions.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by songsc
Another case I can think of was when we were on a ground delay at gate. Pretzel was handed out to Y passengers.
I recall a YYZ-SFO on a 320 that had a 1+ hour mechanical delay.

I don't know what they had for Y, but they brought on a full bar (not one of the carts from the galley) for J, and they passed the snack basket around.

But this isn't really relevant to whether an FA should wake up a passenger

If you can take all the meal orders on the ground, as well as asking if you want to be woken up, there should be no problem.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
AC should just ship a badge like this in the E/SE package we receive every year. Problem solved.

Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jasdou
AC should just ship a badge like this in the E/SE package we receive every year. Problem solved.

LMAO
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
It all depends. If the service and food is top notch, I'd enjoy that and then sleep. If the service & food is nothing to write home about i just want to sleep, this usually happens on N. American airlines not on Asian or LX or LH.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
That's a tough one.

If the pax has (fully) reclined their seat, I think it's fair to assume they don't want to be woken up.

If they look like they've just nodded off (with the seat in the uprigth position), I think a nudge and possibly talking at the client is a reasonable effort.
This is exactly how I would think about it. If I intend to sleep, I've reclined to flat bed. If I haven't reclined, then I probably just dozed off during take-off and even if I want to sleep, a nudge will get me to recline properly, which is in my interest anyway.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
West coast to YYZ red eye, I want to sleep. Its a 4 hr flight and its not worth messing that up for AC breakfast.
Long haul I prefer being woken for the main meal.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I avoid departing on late night flights as I always knock off once the aircraft takes off and my biological clock is at work and skip dinner. I prefer the comfort of a good meal in an early evening flight and then a movie and then knocking off for a good sleep before arrival, a quick customs and immigration clearance, a quick stop at my hotel and heading to my meeting after a shower and a change of clothes.

Corporate life is corporate life.

Last edited by wolf72; Jun 3, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Just ask the pax about how they want their service to go before pushback

Many other airlines do that, and it works way better than not asking.

Ask prior to take off about :
- beverage service, what beverage and when
- dinner service and choice of meal and when
- breakfast service and choice of meal and wben
- whether to be woken up or not
- whether they want a fast service or a slower service. I hate how dinner service on Air Canada takes forever in a long haul flight.
- whether they are interested in duty free

If necessary, put it on a menu card to check off (like breakfast) so it is accurately performed. When you tell one FA or one SD a preference, I find it is not always uniformly performed or communicated throughout
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Sleep.

I opted for "dining" on my last TPAC, and I paid for it on arrival.

To me, the bulk of the value proposition of a J ticket is the rest you manage to get on board, and the lack of jetlag on arrival.

Only exception would be TATLs coming back to Canada.

Oh, and who cares about NA J really. Flights are too short anyway (and I doubt OP was asking about waking you up on a TCON).

As far how to approach it, I think it's clear that OP is doing the right thing already in his approach so...

​​​
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:12 pm
Suspended

I think another element missing in the "calculation" of what customers say they want is: Are they originating with the flight or are they a connecting pax from TATL or TPAC.

This matters. I've talked to fellow fliers who want to eat when others sleep or sleep when others eat as that is where their body clock is.

Drives me nuts to be fed breakfast before landing in HKG in the afternoon on AC 15. At least on AC 3 to NRT, it's the second light meal prior to arrival at about the same time in the afternoon.

Things are easier on the return where it's dinner then breakfast before landing in YVR on AC 8.

What i found interesting is on the 01:45 am departures of CX to HKG and BR to TPE, some pax want their meals and then sleep. Others want sleep first and eat mid-flght. This is how each of us chooses what suits our clocks and work schedules best.

AC 15 leaves at 10 am. No way can I sleep on that flight and I arrive in HKG exhausted. That plus other reasons is why I've chosen alternatives.

At least I know on the overnight CX, I have had good 7 hours sleeps and great meals, so win-win.

Anyway, I don't think there is a correct answer. However, airlines and crews can certainly manage the service. CX ISMs were making the notations on their iPads, which already had other pax info.

Last edited by 24left; Jun 3, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.