Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't need to search because I read it and acknowledged it. However they didn't say so publicly, they said so in a private email to BB, who then posted in. They (AC) actually haven't said anything at all on the subject publicly.
They posted it on twitter. That's pretty public. That's how I found out about it.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pmax
They posted it on twitter. That's pretty public. That's how I found out about it.
how many SEs follow the AC twitter account?

Oh, you don't know? Neither do I.

But it I don't. Follow them that is. And obviously lots of others don't too. (Unless you want to argue that the number is almost all.)

Here is a reasonable expectation: send an email to their SEs saying "hey we f'd up but we are fixing it so hold tight." That doesn't sound very difficult to me. It also sounds like a good idea and like the right thing to do.

But hey keep arguing that it isn't. Suit yourself.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
However they didn't say so publicly, they said so in a private email to BB, who then posted in. They (AC) actually haven't said anything at all on the subject publicly.
Originally Posted by pmax
how many SEs follow the AC twitter account?

Oh, you don't know? Neither do I.

But it I don't. Follow them that is. And obviously lots of others don't too. (Unless you want to argue that the number is almost all.)
Look, I get that you're upset. But as an outsider who has absolutely no IKK skin in the game, I'll offer this sincerely because I genuinely appreciate your contributions in this forum: you tend to lose real credibility when you keep moving goal posts during a debate.

Ben says something privately? Fine, you can question it and keep playing the "it's a huge conspiracy theory" angle. You can even call them out and question why they haven't made a public statement on the issue. But to then dismiss a public statement because it wasn't in your preferred medium? You're better than that.

FWIW, I think not making a mass announcement via email blast or whatever is the absolute right move. What percentage of SEs do you think will try to IKK during this outage, or bug, or snag, or whatever you want to call it? I think it's a reasonably small enough subset that it simply isn't worth the bad press to announce to everyone that you've got a problem.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Look, I get that you're upset. But as an outsider who has absolutely no IKK skin in the game, I'll offer this sincerely because I genuinely appreciate your contributions in this forum: you tend to lose real credibility when you keep moving goal posts during a debate.

Ben says something privately? Fine, you can question it and keep playing the "it's a huge conspiracy theory" angle. You can even call them out and question why they haven't made a public statement on the issue. But to then dismiss a public statement because it wasn't in your preferred medium? You're better than that.

FWIW, I think not making a mass announcement via email blast or whatever is the absolute right move. What percentage of SEs do you think will try to IKK during this outage, or bug, or snag, or whatever you want to call it? I think it's a reasonably small enough subset that it simply isn't worth the bad press to announce to everyone that you've got a problem.
Its not that you don't have a point, its that I don't want to concede it.

(They could also do an email to all SEs that have logged into AE and done a search for the duration of the issue... All I know is that their communication leaves a lot to be desired. And I have very little forgiveness in me due to the track record of responses by Ben and Ben to me -- and others -- on this specific subject that was just misderection and nonsense. Does it distort my perspective? Probably.)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: various
I don't follow AC on twitter (or anyone, for that matter) and I certainly don't check out AC's Facebook page.

I do, however, have email and I do check into the Aeroplan and Altitude websites fairly frequently. I've also tried IKK with no luck.

Why not even a simple message for SE's on the website? Since it really affects only SE's anyhow that would make more sense.

I thought I was going crazy until I saw this thread explaining that there was a problem. This is not leaving me feeling all gooey inside about AC.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Quick check: are you searching Aeroplan as a guest? Or are you logging in and searching AS an SE, including for priority rewards?

For how many seats are you searching?
--
13F
I logged in as always. Saw lots of economy class availability with priority rewards...

I had this same thing happen last year and it was a battle to get business seats. Aeroplan operators told me then that AC doesn't fully open up business for rewards even if you have priority that comes with rewards...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...valuation.html
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
Space Oddity..

Originally Posted by Plumber
There is an issue with J-class Priority Rewards at the moment . AC has acknowledged it but given no info on when it will be fixed.
Thanks for the tip. Not sure what the "issue" is but hope they acknowledge it needs to be fixed. I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of hyper travellers when I say decent rewards is a large part of the program for us.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I elected to avoid a family trip this and next month due to this issue.

So during a 'system issue' that is now on its 10th day, shouldn't the right thing to do be to manually override if agents can see there likely would have been space (R>0)?

Is AC/AE going to give an extra half month to use priority rewards and SE as a result? ummm no.

You can bet that AC/AE would address this MUCH sooner if the site errored in the opposite extreme.. offering IKK all the way to last seat avail. based on J.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I agree. It has been 10 days now. And Aeroplan Agents have said they can see the availability but not book it. So why not allow a manual override for call-in and wave the booking fee?

Sure it's not ideal but at least it's an option rather than not being able to book anything.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:28 pm
Original Member

Glitches don't typically happen spontaneously in previously operational systems. Moreover "glitches" don't normally take 10 days to fix.

Which leads to the conclusion that a significant and unannounced change has been made to that program/benefit.

On a balance of probabilities I'm inclined to believe the current situation is more feature than bug.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I agree. It has been 10 days now. And Aeroplan Agents have said they can see the availability but not book it. So why not allow a manual override for call-in and wave the booking fee?

Sure it's not ideal but at least it's an option rather than not being able to book anything.
First, I do not believe anyone at either company was aware there was an issue until Monday January 9. That is a separate issue that actually pisses me off a bit. They should have been aware sooner. A properly written email would have attracted attention (i.e. "I'm seeing J9C9D9Z9P9R9 but I can't IKK 1 seat in J"), but I don't think that happened until the 8th or 9th. On the 10th, they Tweeted an acknowledgement of the issue.

As for Aeroplan being able to see it but not book it, are you sure about that? I'd call in and test it right now (I have something I want to book), but they're closed. My understanding was that they weren't even seeing the availability. Not that this changes the end result.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Glitches don't typically happen spontaneously in previously operational systems. Moreover "glitches" don't normally take 10 days to fix.

Which leads to the conclusion that a significant and unannounced change has been made to that program/benefit.

On a balance of probabilities I'm inclined to believe the current situation is more feature than bug.
First, you assume they've been aware of it for 10 days.

Second, you assume they haven't been trying to fix it for the three days they've known about it.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

I'm still willing to make a decent wager that things will be back to "normal" (the way it was in December) in a reasonable amount of time (though, because I know which two organizations are involved here, I'm defining "reasonable" as "this month").
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadiancow
. .

Second, you assume they haven't been trying to fix it for the three days they've known about it.
If they've been working on it for 3 days without fixing it then it's not a glitch.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
If they've been working on it for 3 days without fixing it then it's not a glitch.
Please refer to the line immediately after the one you quoted.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Please refer to the line immediately after the one you quoted.
Be obtuse as you want.

Stupidity or not, glitches don't take 3 or more days to fix. Clearly a major change was made to the system. And that change resulted in the current situation.

Whether it was due to a flawed implementation or some other cause remains to be seen.

Nevertheless it appears very likely that an intended change was implemented at the turn of the year. The question is what was that intended change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.