Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Smile

Originally Posted by torontoSE
Has anyone wondered if this has anything to do with trying to keep space available for the new AC Bid Upgrade program. I recall that they said something about it not affecting e- upgrades but it certainly seems like it. Just wondering
I was thinking along the same lines.

They outsourced bidding for upgrades to a 3rd party, who obviously makes a % off each successful transaction. They want to make more money, and can't do that if AC's pesky top tier customers "hog all the good seats".

Not only that, but the team at AC who proposed bidding for upgrades, and the management who signed off on it must be trying to do everything they can to ensure its success and hit targets (even if it wouldn't have if they maintained status quo). Nobody wants to get a bad performance review or have spent a year implementing something that doesn't hit targets.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Holy crap. I can't even IKK SFO-YVR in March: J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R7 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L0 A0 K0.

I was all ready to do a booking that had a YVR-YYZ and YYZ-SFO in Y, assuming I could do the small open segment in J. But it's not possible!

This has to be a glitch, right?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Has anyone found any direct flights that can be IKK'd in J?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
I was able to see (and book) YYT-YYZ direct flights for IKK in J, right up until AC fixed the Altitude counter display issue.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PB53x11
direct YYC-YYZ and reverse can be IKK in J if you okay with departure times around midnight.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:28 pm

Yes, a few. But R9 no longer means IKK is available.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
direct YYC-YYZ and reverse can be IKK in J if you okay with departure times around midnight.
If you are getting the same results as me, those actually aren't IKK rewards, they are regular AE rewards. If you check the little "priority rewards" check box, no additional direct flights show up.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
And to add to the thread: there is no difference in qty available of any fare bucket that EF reports between flights that can be booked for reward (J) and those that can't. Meaning two flights: AC142 and AC156 on Sept 26th both show all classes as x9. One can be booked (the midnight flight), the other can't. I find it difficult to believe that changing away from R availability and to another fare bucket, a hidden bucket, or a combination of buckets, is a simple glitch.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I just searched some routes(for example YOW-YVR and YOW-LHR) with some random dates in April, May and October.

I found some Business seats under 'Fixed Mileage', but there was not one instance of a Business seat available in 'Priority Rewards'. Not one...

Last edited by Plumber; Jan 9, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I'm trying to ikk a J seat from hkg to yyz in late Feb and there is nothing....
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Priority Rewards

The definition of Priority Rewards in unchanged from previous years on the Altitude site:

"In the event that Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward seats are completely booked, members have access to unsold seats in Economy Class – and exclusive access to additional seats in Business Class – when redeeming their Aeroplan Miles. Priority Reward reservations will require the same amount of Aeroplan Miles as for a regular Aeroplan Fixed Mileage Flight Reward, and are only available on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge. Note that availability for seats in Business Class may be subject to capacity controls for flights where demand is high"
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
arguably, R=9 negates the "when demand is high" portion of that definition
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
So I called AP and the agent was aware of the problem and they have raised it to "management" but are still waiting a response. I believe the availability is showing on the AC side, but that this is a AP glitch that needs to be fixed. Even so, she couldn't book the flight I wanted that has R8 and would seem like it should be available as a IKK in J.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:08 pm

Well, if they are killing 1KK, good thing I know about it in January before my flying pattern begins.

I've got lots of options for overseas this year, and if AC chooses to treat us with disdain, I can do so too and move $$$.

Good to know in advance.

Looking forward to hearing a quick resolution one way or the other.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Well, if they are killing 1KK, good thing I know about it in January before my flying pattern begins.

I've got lots of options for overseas this year, and if AC chooses to treat us with disdain, I can do so too and move $$$.

Good to know in advance.

Looking forward to hearing a quick resolution one way or the other.
They're not killing it.

It's a glitch. It's being worked on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.