Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Be obtuse as you want.

Stupidity or not, glitches don't take 3 or more days to fix. Clearly a major change was made to the system. And that change resulted in the current situation.

Whether it was due to a flawed implementation or some other cause remains to be seen.

Nevertheless it appears very likely that an intended change was implemented at the turn of the year. The question is what was that intended change.
Here's my informed (as opposed to most of the crap that's spewed in this forum) speculation (so recognize that this is speculation - when I say something definitively, it's because I'm sure about it).

Aeroplan tried to change something. They screwed up. This has side effects.

IKK, which is a benefit provided by Air Canada, has not changed.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Here's my informed (as opposed to most of the crap that's spewed in this forum) speculation (so recognize that this is speculation - when I say something definitively, it's because I'm sure about it).

Aeroplan tried to change something. They screwed up. This has side effects.

IKK, which is a benefit provided by Air Canada, has not changed.
Except we can't use it. My local gas station also offers a benefit: free gas! Except they don't provide a method of claiming it, and the attendants don't know anything about it either.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:32 am

Maybe folks should take on the approach of the olden days. Print some flyers, inundate lounges with news of this so that other SE see it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
Space Oddity..continued

I'm not a regular FlyerTalk user because like most SE's I'm way too busy. Seems like everyone on this thread is debating something here that is based on very limited information (or non-information) from AC. Clearly everyone is frustrated and is articulating this in their own way.

I'm in the tech industry and a glitch on an established platform is a few days to fix tops if it's a priority unless there's some kind of security breach. Looks like this is now 11 days if it did start at the turn of the year.

Did I miss something?

PS: I like the idea of handouts in the lounges--the other 98% of the SE crowd that doesn't post online would likely freak out. Maybe it's just best to fix this and move one. Anarchy is hard to reverse.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by AC MMSE
I'm not a regular FlyerTalk user because like most SE's I'm way too busy. Seems like everyone on this thread is debating something here that is based on very limited information (or non-information) from AC. Clearly everyone is frustrated and is articulating this in their own way.

I'm in the tech industry and a glitch on an established platform is a few days to fix tops if it's a priority unless there's some kind of security breach. Looks like this is now 11 days if it did start at the turn of the year.

Did I miss something?
You missed that AC and Aeroplan were not aware of this until the 9th. So in terms of a fix, we're on day 4. I'm not saying that's acceptable, but they have not been trying to fix it for as long as you say.

Believe me, I'm pissed too. I want to book something for this weekend, and beyond the J IKK issue, one of the flight I want is now oversold.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:00 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...rticle1171597/

"The spokesperson said the group learned about new restrictions on upgrades to business class for top-tier Aeroplan members (certain fare levels will no longer be eligible and confirmation will be closer to flight time) from Air Canada staff. The group decided to go public so frequent fliers could make an informed decision about which airline will give the best payback for their loyalty throughout 2002."

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; Jan 12, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I just played around with a couple of bookings in March and was able to find a good selection of IKK J to LHR and to PHX. Does that mean that the sky isn't actually falling?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I just played around with a couple of bookings in March and was able to find a good selection of IKK J to LHR and to PHX. Does that mean that the sky isn't actually falling?
nop, not seeing it. Tried various searches, international and domestic in the spring, summer or fall. When I ask for priority it's mostly all connecting and/or combination of business/economy - no direct and/or full business availability in a wide variety of routes that I've checked. Afraid, no change yet.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
The sky may not be falling but we haven't seen daylight yet!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
nop, not seeing it. Tried various searches, international and domestic in the spring, summer or fall. When I ask for priority it's mostly all connecting and/or combination of business/economy - no direct and/or full business availability in a wide variety of routes that I've checked. Afraid, no change yet.
2nd data point. My data is the same as your data.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:57 am

I'm still not seeing IKK on routes like SFO-YVR that are R6-R9.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I spoke to a very good AE agent yesterday (clearing up other bookings) and they had no idea there was an issue. She was very good, 20 years on the job, was quite comfortable with talking about IKK instead of priority rewards, and it was all news to her. Just another data point.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
The sky may not be falling but we haven't seen daylight yet!
The daylight is gone.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...rticle1171597/

"The spokesperson said the group learned about new restrictions on upgrades to business class for top-tier Aeroplan members (certain fare levels will no longer be eligible and confirmation will be closer to flight time) from Air Canada staff. The group decided to go public so frequent fliers could make an informed decision about which airline will give the best payback for their loyalty throughout 2002."
Some things never change.....
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:51 pm

The Aeroplan rep I spoke with claimed it was fixed, but I definitely see flights that should have IKK space, but don't.

As a result of this, best case scenario, I'm flying SFO-YYC-YVR (UA/AC) tomorrow, instead of SFO-YVR (AC) today.

Worst case scenario, I have to cancel (i.e. not book) my entire trip.

I'm writing in about this once the weekend has passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.