Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There have been no policy or "availability" changes.

AC is making flights available for IKK, but Aeroplan is not seeing it.

The big problem right now is that Aeroplan (or at least some people there) think it's fixed.
How do you know that this is the case? What is your source of knowledge on these facts?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Well my initial query on this matter went in on January 4, a Wednesday and it was immediately replied to. It was "publicly" acknowledged on Twitter Jan 10.

One would think this would have high priority for attention.

If it was a simple fix, it would be fixed. Obviously, pulling back the cobwebs revealed a rat's nest without any easy fix.

Perhaps they could just give us R space while they are working on a fix (or is the fix in?). This has gone on for too long.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
YYZ princess stated that Ben Smith of AC should be emailed about this problem.

But this is both a AC and an Aeroplan problem. Should an email not be sent to whoever is the head of Aeroplan as well as to Ben Smith?
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Well my initial request went in on January 4, a Wednesday.

One would think this would have high priority for attention.

If it was a simple fix, it would be fixed. Obviously, pulling back the cobwebs revealed a rat's nest without any easy fix.

Perhaps they could just give us R space while they are working on a fix (or is the fix in?). This has gone on for too long.
I wonder if you can send a follow up email. I think AC's response to your question was based not on the issue that there is a glitch leading to lack of IKK business class availability; but based on their interpretation of your question whether in a generic sense whether R class availability and IKK availability are equivalent or not (they answered the latter question that strictly speaking, they are not equivalent). I believe they misunderstood the intent of your question.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by AC MMSE
If they change this why are we wasting our time being an SE?
I agree. I am planning my travels for all of 2017 - with the intention of qualifying for SE status for 2018. This includes buying a type of J class flight pass within Canada or within North America. If I find out that this SE benefit of IKK for J class seats is more or less eliminated, then I will have to re-think my travel plans for this year.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
How do you know that this is the case? What is your source of knowledge on these facts?
A reply to an inquiry I made to Ben.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I wonder if you can send a follow up email. I think AC's response to your question was based not on the issue that there is a glitch leading to lack of IKK business class availability; but based on their interpretation of your question whether in a generic sense whether R class availability and IKK availability are equivalent or not (they answered the latter question that strictly speaking, they are not equivalent). I believe they misunderstood the intent of your question.
Agreed. Ben didn't know there was an issue, so he answered the question that was asked. R space is not equivalent to IKK. He's definitely aware of the issue now.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
A reply to an inquiry I made to Ben.

Agreed. Ben didn't know there was an issue, so he answered the question that was asked. R space is not equivalent to IKK. He's definitely aware of the issue now.
I didn't ask about R space--I asked if anything had changed. The R space comment was an aside to make sure I wasn't equating that.

The response was a resounding NO--nothing has changed. We know that something has changed but that was not the intent. Still no bottom here though.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:58 am

I didn't ask about R space--I asked if anything had changed. The R space comment was an aside to make sure I wasn't equating that.

The response was a resounding NO--nothing has changed. We know that something has changed but that was not the intent. Still no bottom here though.
That mirrors what I know to be true. AC has not changed anything. AC's system says "flight X is has 2 J seats available for IKK", and Aeroplan's system says "flight X has 0 J seats available for IKK".

There's a technical issue somewhere, but there is no intention to change IKK availability, and they're working to fix it.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Member

As I am sure is the case with most FTers I will believe it when I (or someone else here) sees it.

I don't have any expectation that Ben Smith is a) completely knowledgeable about the actual situation or b) being entirely honest about it.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
As I am sure is the case with most FTers I will believe it when I (or someone else here) sees it.

I don't have any expectation that Ben Smith is a) completely knowledgeable about the actual situation or b) being entirely honest about it.
​​​​​​​
Ben Smith is not the Ben we're talking about.

yyzprincess suggested we email Ben Smith, but I'd assume your point a) would prevent much good from happening there.

Ben Lipsey is aware of the issue.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Member

Software that has been running correctly for years doesn't just spontaneously "break". Which suggests strongly that something was intentionally changed. The question is what was that change, and what was the intention of the change.

And at this point AC/AP have either had 10 days to work on it, or Ben Smith neglected to tell anyone about it for up to 6 days. Or perhaps he didn't tell anyone, and it was discovered in another fashion.

Your call.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Member

Ben Smith is not the Ben we're talking about.

yyzprincess suggested we email Ben Smith, but I'd assume your point a) would prevent much good from happening there.

Ben Lipsey is aware of the issue.
Then my apologies to everyone including Ben Smith.

Nevertheless the basic facts remain.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Then my apologies to everyone including Ben Smith.

Nevertheless the basic facts remain.
​​​​​​​
And for that matter apologies to Ben Lipsey as well.

(The perils of posting on a "smart" phone...)
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
I have been lurking but am getting seriously annoyed. This is going to cost AC money soon (in terms of my spend, anyways). This isn't good communication or customer service.

(Love the title of this thread btw! very clever)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
I think this might be the longest I've seen a benefit flat out not work for everyone in AC's FF recent history. 2 weeks now.

I would suggest that whoever is incharge of Altitude should fly over to Aeroplan and get it taken care of, but they probably wouldn't be able to IKK a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.