Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But Ben is not saying that.

All he's saying is that IKK is not based on R space.

There is a strong correlation between R and IKK, which will return once Aeroplan fixes this issue.
He said that EF is not "able to search for true IKK availability." Really? How many times was there no R space and international J IKK before, in your experience? Or vice versa. Because before this glitch revealed that they are changing things, in my experience, it was pretty close to 0%. It may not have been true one million times out of one million, but it was so close that Ben is either speaking with far more semantic precision than would be normal or called for, or they changed the system recently. Without the full email, and without him clarifying his exact meaning, it is all speculation if you want to go there. But my speculation is that if you read it as a normal person, and if you assume that he wrote it as a normal person (not trying to be 100% exactly literally correct with every word).

So if I was able to use EF to search for R and determine J IKK pretty accurately before, and it was at least 99% accurate, then either Ben is needlessly splitting hairs, or he is making a generalization that only makes sense if the implementation of IKK changed.

But I guess that even though I am quoting him I have totally misunderstood what he was saying? Fine. Ben is a PhD logician who only writes logically perfect sentances.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ridefar
He said that EF is not "able to search for true IKK availability." Really? How many times was there no R space and international J IKK before, in your experience? Or vice versa. Because before this glitch revealed that they are changing things, in my experience, it was pretty close to 0%. It may not have been true one million times out of one million, but it was so close that Ben is either speaking with far more semantic precision than would be normal or called for, or they changed the system recently. Without the full email, and without him clarifying his exact meaning, it is all speculation if you want to go there. But my speculation is that if you read it as a normal person, and if you assume that he wrote it as a normal person (not trying to be 100% exactly literally correct with every word).

So if I was able to use EF to search for R and determine J IKK pretty accurately before, and it was at least 99% accurate, then either Ben is needlessly splitting hairs, or he is making a generalization that only makes sense if the implementation of IKK changed.

But I guess that even though I am quoting him I have totally misunderstood what he was saying? Fine. Ben is a PhD logician who only writes logically perfect sentances.
You're saying they've changed how it works.

And this is what is simply inaccurate. AC has changed nothing. There is a glitch right now that is preventing Aeroplan from seeing the availability.

But they are not changing things.

Ben was probably "needlessly splitting hairs", because he received an email from BlondeBomber that said something like "I see R space on EF but there's no IKK". At the time, Ben was unaware of any issue with IKK, so he gave an answer that would explain that issue.

Yes, it's very rare to see R not match IKK availability, but it's possible.

However, once Ben became aware of an actual issue, what happened? Well, stuff is definitely going on behind the scenes, and AC Tweeted a confirmation that there is an issue.

So at this point, AC says there's an issue they're working on, and you say IKK is being gutted.

I wonder who we should believe...
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're saying they've changed how it works.

And this is what is simply inaccurate. AC has changed nothing. There is a glitch right now that is preventing Aeroplan from seeing the availability.

But they are not changing things.

Ben was probably "needlessly splitting hairs", because he received an email from BlondeBomber that said something like "I see R space on EF but there's no IKK". At the time, Ben was unaware of any issue with IKK, so he gave an answer that would explain that issue.

Yes, it's very rare to see R not match IKK availability, but it's possible.

However, once Ben became aware of an actual issue, what happened? Well, stuff is definitely going on behind the scenes, and AC Tweeted a confirmation that there is an issue.

So at this point, AC says there's an issue they're working on, and you say IKK is being gutted.

I wonder who we should believe...
It is gutted as of this minute. Which is actually all I am saying.

If you are saying the underlying algorithm or logic isn't changing and hasn't changed, then you know something none of the rest of us do. Because no matter how I try to interpret or misconstrue Ben's remarks I don't see that. There is simply no evidence one way or the other. Which means there is no evidence that it will go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago, or change for the better, or change for the worse. All of those are possibilities. Given AC's communication, we will likely never know.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

If you are saying the underlying algorithm or logic isn't changing and hasn't changed, then you know something none of the rest of us do. Because no matter how I try to interpret or misconstrue Ben's remarks I don't see that. There is simply no evidence one way or the other. Which means there is no evidence that it will go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago, or change for the better, or change for the worse. All of those are possibilities. Given AC's communication, we will likely never know.
I wouldn't say "none of the rest of us", but I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that this will go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago.

I'm as annoyed as everyone else about this right now. I want to book two flights for this weekend, and I can't right now. Meanwhile, P25Ks are taking the R space (which, as we know, correlates highly with IKK space).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Why don't we all all just wait and see if gets fixed to 'original' or not now that they accepted that there is an issue.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
it will go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago, or change for the better, or change for the worse. All of those are possibilities. Given AC's communication, we will likely never know.
I would not go as far as to say it is gutted. Having said that I do not believe it will go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago.
There will be changes. IKK will be very very limited especially on Business heavy routes YYC-YYZ, YVR-YYZ , YVR-SFO... Reason: new upgrade bidding program.
For the program to be successful there have to be cuts somewhere. IMHO it will come from in R Availability (upgrades)and in IKK. The premium cabin pie as they say has to be divided in smaller portion to accommodate Upgrade bidding program.

Having been AC top tier member since 1989, Elite when Elite was Top Tier & than SE, I have seen AC in action. IMO IKK when fixed will not go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Jan 10, 2017 at 6:15 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I would not go as far as to say it is gutted. Having said that I do not believe it will go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago.
There will be changes. IKK will be very very limited especially on Business heavy routes YYC-YYZ, YVR-YYZ , YVR-SFO... Reason: new upgrade bidding program.
For the program to be successful there have to be cuts somewhere. IMHO it will come from in R Availability (upgrades)and in IKK. The premium cabin pie as they say has to be divided in smaller portion to accommodate Upgrade bidding program.

Having been AC top tier member since 1989, Elite when Elite was Top Tier & than SE, I have seen AC in action. IMO IKK when fixed will not go back to the way it was 2 weeks ago.
Do you actually think the bid program will make a significant impact? There is a floor to the bids, so they're basically like advance LMUs. Most people that are flying YVR-YYZ on a $250 tango fares, do not want to spend another $500+ to bid for J. By allowing artificially low bids (or LMUs), then AC effectively competes against its own revenue tickets.

I don't think the bid program will make a huge change to R inventory. What has mad a change though IMO are more frequent sales for J across routes which fill up the J cabin in advance, and then they can still charge regular prices for business travellers that need to fly on shorter notice and set dates.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by yyzprincess

I tend to agree. I think there is something going on to make some changes and that it will not be the same as it was. I have nothing to base that on other than my opinion.

I hope it isnt so, but that is what I am expecting.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by Plumber
I tend to agree. I think there is something going on to make some changes and that it will not be the same as it was. I have nothing to base that on other than my opinion.

I hope it isnt so, but that is what I am expecting.
Well we hope there are no unannounced "enhancements". Let's give them a little bit of time to give us a explanation and a fix.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yvr76
Do you actually think the bid program will make a significant impact? There is a floor to the bids, so they're basically like advance LMUs. Most people that are flying YVR-YYZ on a $250 tango fares, do not want to spend another $500+ to bid for J. By allowing artificially low bids (or LMUs), then AC effectively competes against its own revenue tickets.

I don't think the bid program will make a huge change to R inventory. What has mad a change though IMO are more frequent sales for J across routes which fill up the J cabin in advance, and then they can still charge regular prices for business travellers that need to fly on shorter notice and set dates.
Floor to the bid ? Last week on a AE ticket I was offered J for LAS-YYC for $250 and J for YYC-YYZ for $250. Granted this is LMU but why would the bid process be any higher. Both sectors J went out full so not sure if there were eupg, LMU, staff or whatever.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Floor to the bid ? Last week on a AE ticket I was offered J for LAS-YYC for $250 and J for YYC-YYZ for $250. Granted this is LMU but why would the bid process be any higher. Both sectors J went out full so not sure if there were eupg, LMU, staff or whatever.
Don't know, but it is. Current offer for YYC-YYZ for next week is 390 USD as a minimum. Really don't know why it's in USD...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First, AA Gold
Impossible to find Business Aeroplan Seats--and I'm an SE!!

One more reason to question any kind of loyalty to Air Canada and their ever-distant cousin Aeroplan.

I've been trying to find Business Class seats on my points for family vacation this summer and it's nearly impossible. Went through this last year too. I'm pretty sure all frequent flyers have zero interest in traveling in a packed economy cabin for 10+ hours or even worse, Rouged into a packed sardine can. I fly every week and usually hit SE by April each year....business class on my holidays WAS one of the few perks of AC/Aeroplan loyalty.

I'm told by Aeroplan agents that AC gradually opens up seats in Business over the course of the year. Used to be with Priority Awards we could get any open seat--but no more. ...??? Is there really any purpose in being an SE if you can't get easily book your points???? Does anyone like me actually have time to play travel agent with our points?

Help me understand what the point is of flying AC these days. I flew on my AA miles not long ago Business Class on BA for a family trip with little or no problem...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Quick check: are you searching Aeroplan as a guest? Or are you logging in and searching AS an SE, including for priority rewards?

For how many seats are you searching?
--
13F
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
There is an issue with J-class Priority Rewards at the moment . AC has acknowledged it but given no info on when it will be fixed.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...valuation.html

No ETA on fix yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.