Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

I'm looking at random days for GRU-YYZ and YYZ-GRU space. On EF, flights show as at least R2, sometimes R6 for the direct flight. I lost my SE this year (but I'm still SE up to Feb 28), and I'm Aeroplan Black, whatever that means. I am not showing any R space business class flights, despite it being obviously available.

What gives? I'm not even dead yet for another month and a half, but AC has already written me off? :P
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I'm looking at random days for GRU-YYZ and YYZ-GRU space. On EF, flights show as at least R2, sometimes R6 for the direct flight. I lost my SE this year (but I'm still SE up to Feb 28), and I'm Aeroplan Black, whatever that means. I am not showing any R space business class flights, despite it being obviously available.

What gives? I'm not even dead yet for another month and a half, but AC has already written me off? :P
Are you trying to redeem Aeroplan points for an IKK award?

While R space may indicate IKK space, it does not guarantee it IME.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gabdusch

Interesting. I always thought it did? And yep, trying to redeem.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.

Interesting. I always thought it did? And yep, trying to redeem.
This question should be in an IKK thread or it's own thread, as if it's in the R games thread it's going to be really confusing. Maybe the mod can break it out?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
This question should be in an IKK thread or it's own thread, as if it's in the R games thread it's going to be really confusing. Maybe the mod can break it out?
Thought so which is why I put it into a new thread - but it got merged here ...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

I agree-especially intercontinental flights but even domestic. I have a wide open flight on January 7th YYZ-YYC on a 763 that I cannot get my son-in-law into business on, even using priority rewards. I also got my daughter on there ok and from SCL-YYZ. There was still R space on both flights but no luck for the son - in law on either flight.

I think this goes against the spirit of IKK domestically for sure (and internationally it is getting much more difficult than it needs to be) and is just further erosion of a once great benefit.

Great for economy travel still and I appreciate that but given where the program has been, a big downfall. It doesn't give you nice warm fuzzy feelings of appreciation anymore (I know first world problems).

I spent 45 minutes with Aeroplan yesterday just trying to accomplish some of this for one passenger. Secured Premium Economy for the son in law for the SCL-YYZ flight. R space has now disappeared.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The flight can't be full.

It can be R9, but if Y is oversold by 20 (which is definitely possible), then you cannot IKK.

I have never seen a situation where a flight had R space and positive space that I could not IKK.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The flight can't be full.

It can be R9, but if Y is oversold by 20 (which is definitely possible), then you cannot IKK.

I have never seen a situation where a flight had R space and positive space that I could not IKK.
I agree but as an example look at flights for January 7 YYZ-YYC

Lots of availability of fare classes, including R, on Expertflyer (and often empty seat maps) and out of TWELVE possible flights only TWO flights available non-stop for Priority Rewards (one for non-Priority Rewards). Must be one helluva lot of people flying without seat assignments.

Something seems amiss--in the past, even with reduced IKK, I could easily get a variety of flights when that many cheap fares were still available:

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can you get Y on those flights with IKK?

Just because low fare buckets are open does not mean the flight isn't full.

If they expect a 20% no-show factor, there's no reason not to sell Tango even if it's already full.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

If they expect a 20% no-show factor, there's no reason not to sell Tango even if it's already full.
My thoughts exactly. A friend of mine was on YVR-YYC a couple of weeks ago and was told she and her husband were likely to be bumped (no status, Tango fares) because the flight was oversold by 39, on a 319-operated flight. (Of course, this coming from an AC check-in agent, that may not have been entirely correct, but based on the rest of the story, which I won't bother to recount here, it doesn't seem incorrect).

Yet AC was still selling seats.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP

All Twelve flights YYZ-YYC are available in Y on Jan 7.

The first flight of the day is non-priority in Y. The remaining 11 flights are all Priority Rewards in Y....

Given all the R showing on EF, more than 2 of these direct flights should be available in Business as Priority Rewards.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Air Canada has dramatically reduced IKK in J across many of it's routes. I've just checked a handful of European and Asian cities and it looks like a 50%+ reduction across the board from what I expect at any point in the year.

YYZ-HKG is a nearly 100% reduction of IKK J availability through EOS.

Happy New Year to AC's most valued customers.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Air Canada has dramatically reduced IKK in J across many of it's routes. I've just checked a handful of European and Asian cities and it looks like a 50%+ reduction across the board from what I expect at any point in the year.

YYZ-HKG is a nearly 100% reduction of IKK J availability through EOS.

Happy New Year to AC's most valued customers.
Nice. So first they cap IKK at 10 and then they magically zero out availability. Nice.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Maybe it's an IT error? Has anyone tried contacting AC about it? I know there are some people on the forum with people they know.

I also tried checking some routes I looked at a few weeks ago which was wide open.

For example, YVR - PHX on Jan 21st direct is J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A9 K9 and I can't book as a reward flight in J..........
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Maybe it's an IT error? Has anyone tried contacting AC about it? I know there are some people on the forum with people they know.

I also tried checking some routes I looked at a few weeks ago which was wide open.

For example, YVR - PHX on Jan 21st direct is J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A9 K9 and I can't book as a reward flight in J..........
Why would we contact AC? I think we all collectively agree it's better to just bash them on a forum they don't read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.