FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - R space oddity / 2017 IKK devaluation?
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:55 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I agree. It has been 10 days now. And Aeroplan Agents have said they can see the availability but not book it. So why not allow a manual override for call-in and wave the booking fee?

Sure it's not ideal but at least it's an option rather than not being able to book anything.
First, I do not believe anyone at either company was aware there was an issue until Monday January 9. That is a separate issue that actually pisses me off a bit. They should have been aware sooner. A properly written email would have attracted attention (i.e. "I'm seeing J9C9D9Z9P9R9 but I can't IKK 1 seat in J"), but I don't think that happened until the 8th or 9th. On the 10th, they Tweeted an acknowledgement of the issue.

As for Aeroplan being able to see it but not book it, are you sure about that? I'd call in and test it right now (I have something I want to book), but they're closed. My understanding was that they weren't even seeing the availability. Not that this changes the end result.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Glitches don't typically happen spontaneously in previously operational systems. Moreover "glitches" don't normally take 10 days to fix.

Which leads to the conclusion that a significant and unannounced change has been made to that program/benefit.

On a balance of probabilities I'm inclined to believe the current situation is more feature than bug.
First, you assume they've been aware of it for 10 days.

Second, you assume they haven't been trying to fix it for the three days they've known about it.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

I'm still willing to make a decent wager that things will be back to "normal" (the way it was in December) in a reasonable amount of time (though, because I know which two organizations are involved here, I'm defining "reasonable" as "this month").