Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
See chart below for CX.

Link to Aeroplan https://www4.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...442_2017_01_19

KA also linked on that page

Attached Images   
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Aeroplan site updated Jan 19, 2017:
For what it is worth, Asia Miles (CX) already updated their award charts to include Air Canada flights : https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/redeem/charts

One-way awards and as well as AM Mixed Carrier awards are both allowed with Air Canada and apparently, there is no routing restriction like there is for mileage earnings.

You can credit Air Canada flights on eligible fares to Asia Miles for the routes listed only:

Vancouver to Calgary, and vice versa
Vancouver to Montreal (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport), and vice versa
Vancouver to Edmonton (Edmonton International Airport), and vice versa
Vancouver to Winnipeg, and vice versa
Vancouver to Victoria (Victoria International Airport), and vice versa
Vancouver to Kelowna, and vice versa
Vancouver to Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport), and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Montreal (Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport), and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Winnipeg and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Ottawa (Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport), and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Saskatoon, and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Regina, and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Halifax, and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to Quebec, and vice versa
Toronto (Toronto Pearson International Airport) to St John's, and vice versa

With many AC redemption flights via Aeroplan plagued by scam charges, this is a welcome addition.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: EK-Skywards Gold / Delta Gold Medallion/E50K 1MM
Those are AP miles, not AQM's If I go on Air Asia I get AQM's and AQD's.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by 24left
See chart below for CX.

Link to Aeroplan https://www4.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...442_2017_01_19

KA also linked on that page
As per link "Redemption on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will come later."

Now I have some use for my Aeroplan miles
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by daniellam

Now I have some use for my Aeroplan miles
Do we have any reason to believe that later is sooner than 2020 and that redemption would ever include TPAC CX routes (in J)?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:26 pm
Suspended

The Aeroplan chart for CX includes KUL

Someone might want to correct that. This thread has been up on CX for quite some time

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...er-kul-ka.html

Additionally, for those of you planning on tickets connecting to CX in HKG, there is a lot of info on their forum, for eg. the difference in service and cabins for some of the regional aircraft used on some routes, which routes KA has, and quite a number of KA flights depart from the high gates and the mid-fields with bus transfer.

Lots to learn for those of you new to CX.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:42 pm

Rewards on Cathay

Has anyone been able to book a AP-reward ticket on Cathay. Want to fly YYZ-CEB. My wife is from CEB.

Up until recently there was only the OZ option via ICN. I know Eva has started flying to CEB as well but so far I have not taken that route. Prior to Eva flying to CEB I did (YYZ-TPE (BR), TPE - ICN (TG), ICN-CEB (OZ))

I would love to a stop over in HKG if I can get something to HKG and then direct to CEB. The CX flights also have a way better arrival time and departure times than the OZ flight.

I am also assuming there is NO way the YYZ-HKG award would even touch CX metal. Which I am sort of OK with their are lots Star A options to Hong Kong.

Will YYZ-HKG-CEB return be one reward? I tried using the AP award search for just HGK-CEB and nothing comes up. The same dates with YYZ-CEB show options via ICN or TPE. But nothing via HKG. YYZ-HKG also show lots of options as well.

Any ideas on how to book award on CX - what will award rate/cart will be used.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by concol
H.....
Any ideas on how to book award on CX - what will award rate/cart will be used.

Have you looked at the Aeroplan Partner Page for Cathay?

In my post # 106 above, I included the link to that Aeroplan page. In the fine print, it says:

"Redemption on Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will come later."
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Altitude 75K, LT Marriott Platinum
Recently a colleague returned from Kuala Lumpur on AC9782 operated by Cathay Pacific Airways connecting to AC8 from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Reviewing his aeroplan account, he received aeroplan miles for his trip; however, when reviewing his altitude account, he received AQD for both CX and AC flights but 0 AQM for the CX codeshare flight.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by qrctraveller68
Recently a colleague returned from Kuala Lumpur on AC9782 operated by Cathay Pacific Airways connecting to AC8 from Hong Kong to Vancouver. Reviewing his aeroplan account, he received aeroplan miles for his trip; however, when reviewing his altitude account, he received AQD for both CX and AC flights but 0 AQM for the CX codeshare flight.
Yes that's how the agreement was written and your colleague correctly received 0 AQM/AQS for the flight. On these CX flights you only receive redeemable miles not status miles, and you receive AQD if booked as AC codeshare but possibly no AQD if booked under CX flight number even if booked on AC stock (ticket number beginning with 014).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YYT82
Yes that's how the agreement was written and your colleague correctly received 0 AQM/AQS for the flight. On these CX flights you only receive redeemable miles not status miles, and you receive AQD if booked as AC codeshare but possibly no AQD if booked under CX flight number even if booked on AC stock (ticket number beginning with 014).
Definitely interesting that a flight would earn AQD, but no AQM.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Definitely interesting that a flight would earn AQD, but no AQM.
Yeah but you would only put yourself in that peril because you decide to fly into SE Asia on AC into HKG first. If you fly with SQ you would get status miles and only suffer AC to LAX/SFO.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YYT82
Yeah but you would only put yourself in that peril because you decide to fly into SE Asia on AC into HKG first. If you fly with SQ you would get status miles and only suffer AC to LAX/SFO.
Fair enough if you have a flexible budget, but I do not remember seeing discounted SQ J fares anywhere close to the discounted AC P fares available once in a while.

Also, some pax may prefer a single connection vs. a double connection, not to mention the desire not to connect in the US both ways.

No question SQ J beats AC J, but it comes at a price premium and often is less convenient ex-Canada.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Fair enough if you have a flexible budget, but I do not remember seeing discounted SQ J fares anywhere close to the discounted AC P fares available once in a while.

Also, some pax may prefer a single connection vs. a double connection, not to mention the desire not to connect in the US both ways.

No question SQ J beats AC J, but it comes at a price premium and often is less convenient ex-Canada.
SQ's Y seats are quite tolerable compared to those of AC's HD to HKG, plus SQ has really good oneway PY/Y fares for YUL/YYZ-HKG/SIN. I have built a RTW Y ticket on SQ that priced out just under $2k CAD Yes I know it's Y, but the longest flight is only 13 hours as a red eye (which I sleep through more than half the flight anyways) from SFO to HKG, and you get to stop in SFO, HKG, SIN and FRA. You also get AC from YYZ to SFO in B763 and FRA to YYZ to finish it off, both of which I can upgrade using eUps only.

Last edited by YYT82; Mar 23, 2017 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Aeroplan redemption?

Originally Posted by daniellam
"later"? So what exactly is meant by "later"?

The Cathay addition has been posted on the AP site i.e. lots of opportunity to announce a launch date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.