Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Unless AC codeshare on CX allows for AQM/AQS/AQDs - I can not see myself flying on AC - I barely re-qualify for SE status each year (including for next year) - no matter what I think of the quality of the CX product.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
QUOTE:
"What fascinates me about Hong Kong Airlines is that they seem to have a really solid business class product on their A330s, despite the fact that these planes are largely used for shorthaul flights around Asia. Their A330 business class is in a staggered configuration, with fully flat seats and direct aisle access from every seat.'
HX started service to AKL a few weeks ago.

There two seat configurations on the 332.
Regional and int'l.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by 24left
QUOTE:

"What fascinates me about Hong Kong Airlines is that they seem to have a really solid business class product on their A330s, despite the fact that these planes are largely used for shorthaul flights around Asia. Their A330 business class is in a staggered configuration, with fully flat seats and direct aisle access from every seat.'

......"I’m excited to see Hong Kong Airlines adding transpacific flights. I suspect once they take delivery of the A350, we’ll see them add several more transpacific flights, probably even to the US. Bring it on!"

And the action is starting to get very interesting, most especially on the YVR-HKG route (remember, CX is adding their new A350 to an extra flight into YVR)
Hong Kong airlines should help lower prices, but I would think AC and CX will both defend their market position very strongly. Other than price, I don't think it will effect CX/AC very much, as history has showed us in the past.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:36 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
How often do you fly this route because our commuting experience must be quite different. The AB350 is rarely used on the Thai regional route. When it appears, it is for breaking in. The airline only received its first unit on June 1, 2016. It is being showcased around on various routes. They will be lucky to have 12 in regular service by January 2017. The AB350 is used for YVR-HKG, MNL-HKG and DUS-HKG. Unless you know something Cathay management doesn't and those naughty people have been putting out misleading press releases and fiddling with their schedules. And yes, I know there is an AB350 in use on the HKG-BKK route for exactly 1 day this week. It's a crew training opportunity.

But wait it gets better. Let's go have a look at the Cathay schedule for this week and look at what equipment is being used.

Flight Departure Aircraft
CX 713 9:10 333
CX 615 10:00 333
CX 653 12:00 772
CX 701 16:10 773
CX 703 16:45 333
CX 617 21:35 773
No, the schedule for this week on CX 701 is as follows:

Tue,Thu,Fri,Sun 16:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 18:10 Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok (BKK)
CX 701 Non-stop Airbus A350-900 (359) 3:00 Effective 2016-11-22 through 2016-11-29

as well as next week:

Tue-Thu,Sat,Sun 16:10 Hong Kong (HKG) 1 18:10 Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok (BKK) CX 701 Non-stop Airbus A350-900 (359) 3:00 Effective 2016-11-30 through 2016-12-06

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/...Pacific_CX_701

CX is increasing the use of A350s on this route, you can check their website
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
CX codeshares, AQM, and Aeroplan redemptions

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...607943726.html

Don't know how AQD will work, but...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE
I hope this doesn't mean Cathay will stop being a redemption partner with Alaska Airlines, but it would be nice if Cathay award availability can be searched online using the Aeroplan search tool
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
finally.

Instead of having low status on AC and CX I can bank it into 1 program. Asia Miles is garbage for availability.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Not sure if I am allowed to use the CX lounge in HK if I'm flying economy on CX HKG-BKK as a 50K?
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by InstantStatus
I hope this doesn't mean Cathay will stop being a redemption partner with Alaska Airlines, but it would be nice if Cathay award availability can be searched online using the Aeroplan search tool
There is very long line-up of AA, AS, BA and other OW fliers, so it shall be interesting.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The AB350 is rarely used on the Thai regional route. When it appears, it is for breaking in. The airline only received its first unit on June 1, 2016. It is being showcased around on various routes. They will be lucky to have 12 in regular service by January 2017. The AB350 is used for YVR-HKG, MNL-HKG and DUS-HKG.
There is no A350 in use to YVR - yet. Not until the spring from Cathay, when it supplements its existing twice-daily 77W service. CX does use the plane on its Rome route. I did three takeoffs from FCO in the past month, and each one soared past a pair of Asian A350s lined up at the gates (CX + TG).
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by InstantStatus
Seeing as they have made the step to include Alaska in their online tool while these negotiations were in place, I doubt they would remove that...and i don't really see this partnership affecting AS/CX parternship in any way.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
This thread title is misleading - AC and CX are not codesharing YVR-HKG. AC is putting its code on some CX intra-Asia flights that would connect to/from AC's YYZ/YVR-HKG services, and CX is puttings its code on some AC intra-Canada flights that would connect to/from CX's YYZ/YVR-HKG services.

Neither airline is codesharing the TPAC flights (unless I've missed something).
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by D582
This thread title is misleading - AC and CX are not codesharing YVR-HKG. AC is putting its code on some CX intra-Asia flights that would connect to/from AC's YYZ/YVR-HKG services, and CX is puttings its code on some AC intra-Canada flights that would connect to/from CX's YYZ/YVR-HKG services.

Neither airline is codesharing the TPAC flights (unless I've missed something).
They might end up doing so. "Strategic cooperation agreement" is generally even more closer than codesharing. The airline joint ventures are usually described this way. Cathay's joint venture with Air New Zealand was called a "strategic agreement."

Any further codesharing would have to be approved by the CTA in this case. And the CX codeshares within Asia were approved for 3 years.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
On this I give AC credit for picking a quality partner.
definitely, when in SouthAsia CX is high on my list.

This Thread also explains why in February routing YVR-ICN (AC), ICN-BKK (OZ), BKK-HKG (CX), HKG-YVR(AC) in biz is +/-$500 less than using Thai on BKK-HKG leg.

and schedule timing of CX early on Saturday morning from BKK, allows me to spend much of the day in HKG, before the evening AC departure - more DIM SUM for me...
Old Dec 22, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by skybluesea
definitely, when in SouthAsia CX is high on my list.

This Thread also explains why in February routing YVR-ICN (AC), ICN-BKK (OZ), BKK-HKG (CX), HKG-YVR(AC) in biz is +/-$500 less than using Thai on BKK-HKG leg.

and schedule timing of CX early on Saturday morning from BKK, allows me to spend much of the day in HKG, before the evening AC departure - more DIM SUM for me...
One can just fly to NYC for Tim Ho Wan now, and also still fly only Cathay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.