FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1804485-ac-cx-sign-codeshare-deal-canada-s-e-asia-reciprocal-ffm-earning-redemption.html)

jimyvr Nov 25, 2016 1:50 pm

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

This was posted on 23NOV16 by Canadian Transportation Agency, looks like Air Canada plans to partner with Cathay Pacific. The partnership covers selected SE Asian counties, as well as domestic Canada flights.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/353-a-2016
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/354-a-2016

A day later, CTA also tentatively approved Hong Kong Airlines' application for couple of exemption ahead of planned service to Canada.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-197
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-198

djjaguar64 Nov 25, 2016 1:55 pm

Interesting hopefully CX is not planning to join Star Alliance or maybe it should. This could also be Codeshare, since when booking flights on AC site they have connection with CX metal.

monkai Nov 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Reads like a codeshare to me.

keitherson Nov 25, 2016 2:00 pm

OMG HK Airlines is going to run A350 to YVR???

This is why Cathay needs AC codeshares, because they are going to lose serious market share.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 27526779)
Interesting hopefully CX is not planning to join Star Alliance or maybe it should. This could also be Codeshare, since when booking flights on AC site they have connection with CX metal.

LOL keep dreaming. A founding member ditching oneworld just to partner with AC?

acysb87 Nov 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Look at routing YYZ/HKG/BKK r/t. Cathy codeshares.
J actually less to BKK via HKG r/t (AC to HKG,cnx CX) than price AC charges YYZ/HKG r/t :cool:

djjaguar64 Nov 25, 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 27526878)
Look at routing YYZ/HKG/BKK r/t. Cathy codeshares.
J actually less to BKK via HKG r/t (AC to HKG,cnx CX) than price AC charges YYZ/HKG r/t :cool:

Did you look at EVA?

tracon Nov 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 27526792)
OMG HK Airlines is going to run A350 to YVR???

This is why Cathay needs AC codeshares, because they are going to lose serious market share.

CX to start 350 service to YVR March 2017.

Bonaventure Nov 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Fantastic news. CX will always be one of my fav airlines

Shareholder Nov 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 27526779)

CX and AC used to have a marketing partnership and CX was an Aeroplan partner in the 1980s into the early 90s. AC has marketing agreements with BA for joint fares to Africa via LHR, so this CX arrangement is similar within the Asian region. There is no HKG-based STAR carrier, albeit TG and SQ provide some regional connecting flights, beyond their respective home airports, through connections. Similarly, CX has the same issue within Canada where there's no OW partner and WS still can't provide it with true premium service for those customers.

keitherson Nov 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 27526900)

That was always going to happen.

The CTA decisions are for HK Airlines, not Cathay.

HK Airlines is scheduled to receive their first A350 in 2017.

acysb87 Nov 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 27526891)
Did you look at EVA?

I did not:eek:

lespoir Nov 25, 2016 6:16 pm

I don't know what it means, if marketed as "co-share" legs.

I flew a few times, with the booking from the Air Canada website, to KUL, SIN, visa Cathay Pacific, connecting HKG. But I found that I was never able to earn any AAdvantage points from those HKG-SIN or HKG-KUL flights with Cathay, and they were all business class tickets.

NordsFan Nov 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87 (Post 27527395)
I did not:eek:

Negligence !:p

Transpacificflyer Nov 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Excellent news for AC customers who are disgusted and annoyed by the ripoff practice of paying an inflated J fare but sitting in Y when using ANA or Thai when conecting to Thailand via TYO or HKG. The fares to BKK via ICN with Asiana and Thai are more expensive when sold as part of a connecting ticket on AC than if sold as a separate ticket.

I regularly flew the AC-HKG route connecting to BKK via CX. Unfortunately, it was not a codeshare and lost the credit. However, it was always a J class seat and a better schedule and cost than with the clueless and lacklustre Thai.

Also good news for those who wish to fly to Malaysia or the Phillipines as cathay will do the connection.

My takeaway is that this is a big middle finger to EVA, Singapore, Thai and ANA. On this I give AC credit for picking a quality partner. I just hope the airfares improve now.

This is my major route so I am delighted. EVA eally needs to change its schedule for Toronto and move everything up 1-4 hours, at least on the weekend. The arrival at 8:30 pm makes it difficult to connect and departure at 1 am is unpleasant. The route initially was bleeding business away from AC. However, as someone who has flown the YYZ-TPE-BKE 10+ times in the past few years, I am done with EVA. Too tiring. I like the AC-HKG option and will gladly come back to that route as my principal if the fare is competitive.

keitherson Nov 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 27527911)
Excellent news for AC customers who are disgusted and annoyed by the ripoff practice of paying an inflated J fare but sitting in Y when using ANA or Thai when conecting to Thailand via TYO or HKG. The fares to BKK via ICN with Asiana and Thai are more expensive when sold as part of a connecting ticket on AC than if sold as a separate ticket.

I regularly flew the AC-HKG route connecting to BKK via CX. Unfortunately, it was not a codeshare and lost the credit. However, it was always a J class seat and a better schedule and cost than with the clueless and lacklustre Thai.

Also good news for those who wish to fly to Malaysia or the Phillipines as cathay will do the connection.

My takeaway is that this is a big middle finger to EVA, Singapore, Thai and ANA. On this I give AC credit for picking a quality partner. I just hope the airfares improve now.

This is my major route so I am delighted. EVA eally needs to change its schedule for Toronto and move everything up 1-4 hours, at least on the weekend. The arrival at 8:30 pm makes it difficult to connect and departure at 1 am is unpleasant. The route initially was bleeding business away from AC. However, as someone who has flown the YYZ-TPE-BKE 10+ times in the past few years, I am done with EVA. Too tiring. I like the AC-HKG option and will gladly come back to that route as my principal if the fare is competitive.

Or you could just fly EVA or ANA all the way instead of sticking to AC for no reason...?