Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Old Nov 25, 16, 2:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: YVR
Posts: 3,915
AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

This was posted on 23NOV16 by Canadian Transportation Agency, looks like Air Canada plans to partner with Cathay Pacific. The partnership covers selected SE Asian counties, as well as domestic Canada flights.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/353-a-2016
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/354-a-2016

A day later, CTA also tentatively approved Hong Kong Airlines' application for couple of exemption ahead of planned service to Canada.

https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-197
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/2016-a-198
jimyvr is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 2:55 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,344
Interesting hopefully CX is not planning to join Star Alliance or maybe it should. This could also be Codeshare, since when booking flights on AC site they have connection with CX metal.
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 2:57 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YYJ
Posts: 229
Reads like a codeshare to me.
monkai is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 3:00 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,337
OMG HK Airlines is going to run A350 to YVR???

This is why Cathay needs AC codeshares, because they are going to lose serious market share.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Interesting hopefully CX is not planning to join Star Alliance or maybe it should. This could also be Codeshare, since when booking flights on AC site they have connection with CX metal.
LOL keep dreaming. A founding member ditching oneworld just to partner with AC?
keitherson is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 3:33 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,938
Look at routing YYZ/HKG/BKK r/t. Cathy codeshares.
J actually less to BKK via HKG r/t (AC to HKG,cnx CX) than price AC charges YYZ/HKG r/t
acysb87 is online now  
Old Nov 25, 16, 3:39 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,344
Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
Look at routing YYZ/HKG/BKK r/t. Cathy codeshares.
J actually less to BKK via HKG r/t (AC to HKG,cnx CX) than price AC charges YYZ/HKG r/t
Did you look at EVA?
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 3:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 6,303
Originally Posted by keitherson View Post
OMG HK Airlines is going to run A350 to YVR???

This is why Cathay needs AC codeshares, because they are going to lose serious market share.
CX to start 350 service to YVR March 2017.
tracon is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 4:40 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Posts: 1,477
Fantastic news. CX will always be one of my fav airlines
Bonaventure is online now  
Old Nov 25, 16, 6:28 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 38,108
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Interesting hopefully CX is not planning to join Star Alliance or maybe it should. This could also be Codeshare, since when booking flights on AC site they have connection with CX metal.
CX and AC used to have a marketing partnership and CX was an Aeroplan partner in the 1980s into the early 90s. AC has marketing agreements with BA for joint fares to Africa via LHR, so this CX arrangement is similar within the Asian region. There is no HKG-based STAR carrier, albeit TG and SQ provide some regional connecting flights, beyond their respective home airports, through connections. Similarly, CX has the same issue within Canada where there's no OW partner and WS still can't provide it with true premium service for those customers.
Shareholder is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 6:46 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,337
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
That was always going to happen.

The CTA decisions are for HK Airlines, not Cathay.

HK Airlines is scheduled to receive their first A350 in 2017.
keitherson is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 6:53 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,938
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
Did you look at EVA?
I did not
acysb87 is online now  
Old Nov 25, 16, 7:16 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Posts: 1,317
I don't know what it means, if marketed as "co-share" legs.

I flew a few times, with the booking from the Air Canada website, to KUL, SIN, visa Cathay Pacific, connecting HKG. But I found that I was never able to earn any AAdvantage points from those HKG-SIN or HKG-KUL flights with Cathay, and they were all business class tickets.
lespoir is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 7:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: YQB
Programs: AC Altitude SE100K/1.8MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Posts: 2,468
Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
I did not

Negligence !
NordsFan is offline  
Old Nov 25, 16, 11:16 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In the air
Programs: Tinder
Posts: 2,593
Excellent news for AC customers who are disgusted and annoyed by the ripoff practice of paying an inflated J fare but sitting in Y when using ANA or Thai when conecting to Thailand via TYO or HKG. The fares to BKK via ICN with Asiana and Thai are more expensive when sold as part of a connecting ticket on AC than if sold as a separate ticket.

I regularly flew the AC-HKG route connecting to BKK via CX. Unfortunately, it was not a codeshare and lost the credit. However, it was always a J class seat and a better schedule and cost than with the clueless and lacklustre Thai.

Also good news for those who wish to fly to Malaysia or the Phillipines as cathay will do the connection.

My takeaway is that this is a big middle finger to EVA, Singapore, Thai and ANA. On this I give AC credit for picking a quality partner. I just hope the airfares improve now.

This is my major route so I am delighted. EVA eally needs to change its schedule for Toronto and move everything up 1-4 hours, at least on the weekend. The arrival at 8:30 pm makes it difficult to connect and departure at 1 am is unpleasant. The route initially was bleeding business away from AC. However, as someone who has flown the YYZ-TPE-BKE 10+ times in the past few years, I am done with EVA. Too tiring. I like the AC-HKG option and will gladly come back to that route as my principal if the fare is competitive.
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Nov 26, 16, 12:02 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,337
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
Excellent news for AC customers who are disgusted and annoyed by the ripoff practice of paying an inflated J fare but sitting in Y when using ANA or Thai when conecting to Thailand via TYO or HKG. The fares to BKK via ICN with Asiana and Thai are more expensive when sold as part of a connecting ticket on AC than if sold as a separate ticket.

I regularly flew the AC-HKG route connecting to BKK via CX. Unfortunately, it was not a codeshare and lost the credit. However, it was always a J class seat and a better schedule and cost than with the clueless and lacklustre Thai.

Also good news for those who wish to fly to Malaysia or the Phillipines as cathay will do the connection.

My takeaway is that this is a big middle finger to EVA, Singapore, Thai and ANA. On this I give AC credit for picking a quality partner. I just hope the airfares improve now.

This is my major route so I am delighted. EVA eally needs to change its schedule for Toronto and move everything up 1-4 hours, at least on the weekend. The arrival at 8:30 pm makes it difficult to connect and departure at 1 am is unpleasant. The route initially was bleeding business away from AC. However, as someone who has flown the YYZ-TPE-BKE 10+ times in the past few years, I am done with EVA. Too tiring. I like the AC-HKG option and will gladly come back to that route as my principal if the fare is competitive.
Or you could just fly EVA or ANA all the way instead of sticking to AC for no reason...?
keitherson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: