Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC/CX sign codeshare deal for Canada/S.E. Asia and reciprocal FFM earning/redemption

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: IHG Gold
AC ticket with Code share with Cathay Pacific

I should probably know this, but I don't.

If I book a ticket on Air Canada ticket stock and it includes a segment on Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon, will my *G status get me any benefits on the Cathay flights (lounge access especially)? I am guessing no, but thought I would ask.

(And I assume I earn AQM/$ since on 014 ticket?)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
No, it will not.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, it will not.
Thanks, that's what I figured. Do I still earn AQ miles and $?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mapleg
No. FYI - there is a Cathay Pacific section on the Aeroplan site that covers this.

https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...=CathayPacific
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by mapleg
No and the answers are posted above based on the experience of others here as well as on the Aeroplan page link which many of us have posted.

For eg

Originally Posted by 24left
Also, just in case anyone else is stopping by this thread...

From the Aeroplan Partner page for Cathay:
  • Aeroplan Miles earned on all eligible Cathay Pacific flights do not count towards Air Canada Altitude™ status.
  • Be sure to provide your Aeroplan number when you make a reservation.
  • Always save your itinerary receipt, ticket (where available) and boarding pass until the miles have been credited to your account. If the miles for a recent activity have not been credited to your Aeroplan account, you can request to have the missing miles within six months of the activity date. Learn more about Requesting Mileage Credit
  • Please refer to the charts below to see how many miles you will earn.
  • Codeshare flights operated by Cathay Pacific and marketed by Air Canada; Cathay Pacific determine how many miles you earn for your flights. Therefore, the booking class that appears on your ticket may differ from the booking class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. Refer to the Eligible Flights Tab of the operating carrier.
  • Mileage earned is based on actual miles flown, the percentage of booking class accumulation and the minimum mile rule.
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:10 am

Thanks to all. I did not realize there was a thread devoted to the topic and my query had been moved there. Show you how often I book code shares ! (and probably still won't!)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Question for the experienced ones here.
I bought a J class ticket YVR - HKG - CMB on AC.com, the HKG - CMB was operated by CX . Am I supposed to be getting any credit for that leg?
It really should be clear when you book whether or not portions of the trip will not be receiving miles
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Question for the experienced ones here.
I bought a J class ticket YVR - HKG - CMB on AC.com, the HKG - CMB was operated by CX . Am I supposed to be getting any credit for that leg?
It really should be clear when you book whether or not portions of the trip will not be receiving miles

My AC-CX experience is posted upthread but essentially you have to actually submit the request for credit to Aeroplan. You'll need a JPG or similar of the CX BP and the other info the online form asks for. The Aeroplan partner page has the info.

Remember, you will only get Aeroplan miles, no AQM and you will likely have to chase Aeroplan. We also had paid J on all sectors on a 014 AC-issued ticket and we got one of those ridiculous emails saying CX had no record of our being on the flight. Took a while to get Aeroplan to deal with it.

I am not sure I'd buy one of these again unless AC-Aeroplan gets their act together.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:55 am

My AC-CX experience is posted upthread but essentially you have to actually submit the request for credit to Aeroplan. You'll need a JPG or similar of the CX BP and the other info the online form asks for. The Aeroplan partner page has the info.

Remember, you will only get Aeroplan miles, no AQM and you will likely have to chase Aeroplan. We also had paid J on all sectors on a 014 AC-issued ticket and we got one of those ridiculous emails saying CX had no record of our being on the flight. Took a while to get Aeroplan to deal with it.

I am not sure I'd buy one of these again unless AC-Aeroplan gets their act together.
It is an AC boarding pass and 014 stock .
My concern is that CMB is not one of the destinations listed on Aeroplans website
It looks like I might be short 2K AQM at the end of the year as I did not realize that I wouldn't get credit for this 😔
​​​​​​
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:36 pm

For the record in case others are in the same boat, my flight on Cathay HKG-CMB is not eligible for any AE miles and cannot be claimed online.
The only CX routes you can earn miles on is HKG to - Chiang Mai, Phuket, Bangkok, Cebu, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
Any other routes are not eligible.
I still think it is wrong of AC not to state such on the website when you buy the ticket.
I submitted a complaint and they called me back to tell me that they agree and have forwarded the complaint.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mendy7511
For the record in case others are in the same boat, my flight on Cathay HKG-CMB is not eligible for any AE miles and cannot be claimed online.
The only CX routes you can earn miles on is HKG to - Chiang Mai, Phuket, Bangkok, Cebu, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
Any other routes are not eligible.
I still think it is wrong of AC not to state such on the website when you buy the ticket.
I submitted a complaint and they called me back to tell me that they agree and have forwarded the complaint.

Agreed.

However, the Aeroplan page CX partner page lists the destinations and also states that the only earnings will be Aeroplan miles, no AQD and no AQM

I posted this in July and made sure to include all the details, party as information (or a warning) to everyone who reads AC FT and looks for this thread.

@Repooc17 @yyz-kin
I just realized I forgot to post an update or answer with our experience.

@lcohen999 is correct. You need to submit the BP and fill out the form on Aeroplan's site of course.

We flew on a paid 014 AC ticket that included 4 sectors, 2 TPACs on AC, 2 regional flights, one on a *A partner and the other on a CX codeshare.

Needless to say, we each received an email from Aeroplan more than a month later with the following sentences:

-----
"Thank you for submitting your request for the missing miles for the flight(s) you recently took with our airline partner(s). Unfortunately, we are unable to credit the miles to your account for the reason(s) listed below.

Reason(s) provided

PASSENGER DID NOT TRAVEL ON THE FLIGHT

The request for your missing miles was not approved by our airline partner because they could not find the name you entered on the passenger list for that flight.

Aeroplan Miles can only be awarded to members who travelled and were present on the flight at the time of departure. Aeroplan Miles are not awarded for non-refundable flights when the passenger does not make the flight."

-----

LOL, right?

Of course we called Aeroplan and it seemed quite the hassle to get the Aeroplan miles posted. We said that if they could not meet the codeshare agreement that specifies Aeroplan miles will be earned, then they should advise customers as such. We were all in paid biz. I imagine this could be a challenge if you are on a Y ticket where the class may not map.

It took some time and the miles eventually posted but I am not inspired. Perhaps things have improved since we flew, but still.

Also, we had another annoying AC (IT) experience. We were unable to get our digital BPs for our AC flights. YET !!!! we were able to pull up the CX BP on the CX app and the other *A partner BP on their app. (AC staff claimed that they see this often with similar codeshares. IMHO, stupid and fix it.)

One of the things some of us here have posted, is the question about AQD/AQM/AQS earnings on flights.

We all know other airlines offer this right on the pages that list available flights. Others also list it on the summary page so you can see what the overall trip earns. I am not sure how codeshares are handled, but still, the basics exist.

@mendy7511

In this case, you also make the valid point by telling AC that there should be a warning on the AC.com booking page that there will be no Altitude earnings at all for this codeshare and no Aeroplan for some sectors.

However, AC may not want or be able to add things to the current website. The question is, whenever the "change" comes, will there be a proper new and functional website (and yes, I would rank my recent experiences with UA's app for e.g.. as brilliant)

Last edited by 24left; Dec 27, 2018 at 2:13 pm Reason: Add info that is underlined
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
However, the Aeroplan page CX partner page lists the destinations and also states that the only earnings will be Aeroplan miles, no AQD and no AQM.
I know someone who did get AQM and AQD for a CX codeshare about a year ago though. Not sure whether it was a one-off glitch or an implementation issue early on in the life cycle of the deal or what.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@canadiancow: I see in another thread that you've mentioned redemption space on CX... Have you actually booked it, and if so, what's the process for finding and booking it, and are there any limitations, e.g. can Aeroplan only be used to book CX for the routes on which it has partnered with AC?
​​​​​​
There's discussion in this thread and others about using CX miles to redeem on AC, but I didn't find anything on using Aeroplan to fly on CX...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@canadiancow: I see in another thread that you've mentioned redemption space on CX... Have you actually booked it, and if so, what's the process for finding and booking it, and are there any limitations, e.g. can Aeroplan only be used to book CX for the routes on which it has partnered with AC?
​​​​​​
There's discussion in this thread and others about using CX miles to redeem on AC, but I didn't find anything on using Aeroplan to fly on CX...
It can only be used on the specific routes mentioned. I flew HKG-BKK.

You must call in. I was booking a 13ish segment mini-rtw, so I had to call in anyway. I had found perfectly acceptable TG space online, so it didn't even occur to me to look into CX options. Agent had me very concerned when she said she couldn't see Thai space, but she immediately offered up Cathay space within about 10 minutes of the flight I wanted.

I think it uses their regular reward fare class, so you should be able to just search for that on any OW airline's website.

I was in J, so everything worked as you'd expect. I didn't have any *G benefits, but I also didn't need them.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
If I hold CX Gold (OW Sapphire) and book on AC flights HKG-YVR/YYZ, would I get access to the lounges? (I assume no priority check-in nor boarding)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.