Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognizing your loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K | 54,361 AQM | HH Diamond
Originally Posted by epiphani
I'm mid-30s and I can often look pretty young. It's totally amazing the difference in service quality when I'm wearing older jeans and a t-shirt vs a suit, or even just slacks and a button-down shirt.

I've been (rather rudely) challenged a few times while standing in the SE line when in jeans. Not even once in slacks and a shirt. My reaction to this now is to give off the biggest DYKWIA attitude possible when I get asked... just sorta stare the agent down and point to my baggage tag.
I did a YYC-YYZ flight where I pulled this. The SD was taking meal orders and I happened to be first on the list given my status, however this situation was apparently too unlikely to be believable. When she came to my row she looked at me and the guy beside me and naturally must have assumed we switched seats (I was in the correct seat). She looks over me to him and says "Mr. domfreqflyer would you be joining us for dinner tonight?". He actually had the audacity to start answering her before I could cut him off, look her in the eye and say "Actually, I'm Mr. domfreqflyer".

No word of an apology just an "okay", before going off and taking the rest of the orders.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by domfreqflyer
I did a YYC-YYZ flight where I pulled this. The SD was taking meal orders and I happened to be first on the list given my status, however this situation was apparently too unlikely to be believable. When she came to my row she looked at me and the guy beside me and naturally must have assumed we switched seats (I was in the correct seat). She looks over me to him and says "Mr. domfreqflyer would you be joining us for dinner tonight?". He actually had the audacity to start answering her before I could cut him off, look her in the eye and say "Actually, I'm Mr. domfreqflyer".

No word of an apology just an "okay", before going off and taking the rest of the orders.
Ha! You're not the only one this has happened to. I'm older now though, so it happens less often.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know what you're talking about, but when I fly Jazz...

Let's just say Dan asked us what the heck was going on when this was handed to him.
Oh dude... that was an awesome set of flights.

For another datapoint, I remember the days when the SD would go through all of Y and introduce him/herself to all SEs individually... And this was done PRE-departure onboard.

My experience so far with DL is that at least 80% of my interactions with crew/agents there is acknowledgement, and I'm a lowly plat (75k). I understand many say they want to remain lowkey and not be singled out among the non-elites (Y or otherwise), but what it says to me is that this employee has remembered that I am slightly more loyal than the other dude. In my gut, it feels like if I need something during the flight the SD will be slightly more amenable.

When SDs/FAs/crew/cleaners/etc... don't recognize a ff, they do silly things like misconstrue pressing the call button to ask for the cabin to be secured (seatbelts and stuff) before landing as a mistake, and ignore it. So far, this has only happened on AC in my experience...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
What I was talking about in my post was something like UA GS which is a 100% revenue, bottom line contribution based status.
I would argue that revenue is not the same as bottom line...

A GS that does weekly EWR-SFO rt would likely contribute plenty revenue, but given the regularity of the flights would not likely be buying last minute fares. I think the dude that spends $3k to sit in the middle seat next to a bunch of people who spent $99 for the same seats IS someone you want to capture.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ziptie
My thanks this morning for my loyalty in J was. "Oh I'm sorry sir, I just gave away the last fruit plate that you want" when I asked why she did not follow the protocol and ask SE first, her response was " Well then!, I will just go take away the breakfast from another passenger"
I politely declined her offer to "take someone else's breakfast" and had a coffee instead.
Definitely not feeling the love.
Well I think I have found the new norm!!

On my return PVG-YVR the in charge found a colleague or buddy that was flying revenue and spent a great portion of the flight hovering near said colleague chatting it up. Was a bit annoying when I was trying to sleep however the QC20's and light music helped a lot. I was not recognized for being SE but also treated fairly and that's all one would expect. Looked to be quite a few SE's on board.Was seemed to be asked near the beginning for meal choice. I didn't have the mid flight snack or the breakfast offering. Had a light lunch of the spicy Kale salad in the lounge and was very much looking forward to my meal on the YVR-Domestic flight after a 4 hour layover.
Seated in 4A on my domestic flight, no recognition for loyalty which is AOK and the meal choices were Chicken with rice or Salmon. Having spent the last 2 weeks in Asia eating chicken with Rice I really wanted to have the salmon. When the FA got to me he said" We have chicken left, is that ok?" I then politely asked what the order was for taking meal orders. I mentioned that this was the second time in 2 weeks as a SE I did not get my meal choice. I also said that no chicken was not ok. He then said something familiar. " Do you want me to go through the cabin and change someone else's order?"
I again don't want to be THAT guy so I declined and said no that was ok I would pass on the meal.
About 10 minutes later he came back and said he "found" another salmon meal. I have no idea where he went "looking" for this meal but at that point I had already lost my appetite and enjoyed my ice water for the remainder of the flight.
He did seem quite apologetic and came over and explained he made a mistake and should have asked me first. I accepted the apology but couldn't get my appetite back and had a light snack when I reached my house.

If I know there may not be a choice or they may run out of meals I can plan accordingly and eat at the terminal or lounge, but if you "know" that you have first meal choice and are looking forward to a meal it sure is disappointing when that expectation is not filled.
I know, I know first world problems but I guess I have to plan differently from now on if this is the new norm!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Ziptie
My thanks this morning for my loyalty in J was. "Oh I'm sorry sir, I just gave away the last fruit plate that you want" when I asked why she did not follow the protocol and ask SE first, her response was " Well then!, I will just go take away the breakfast from another passenger"
I politely declined her offer to "take someone else's breakfast" and had a coffee instead.
Definitely not feeling the love.
Her response could have been "I'm sorry, you are right. Is there anything else I can do to make your flight more comfortable." Sarcasm is fine, but only if you're the one paying... but never when you're being defensive after being "caught" failing to follow basic procedure.

Of course, it also depends how you inquired about her failure to ask SEs first; to be charitable, I'll assume you tried to keep the query light and humourous, disarming. Assuming an opportunity for the SD to admit fault was a safe option, if she continued to be defensive, I'd just ask for name, note it, and clam up for the rest of the flight as it's obvious I will not receive any decent service for the next several hours. Might as well get some drinking done in the meantime. =)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by domfreqflyer
When she came to my row she looked at me and the guy beside me and naturally must have assumed we switched seats (I was in the correct seat). She looks over me to him and says "Mr. domfreqflyer would you be joining us for dinner tonight?". He actually had the audacity to start answering her before I could cut him off, look her in the eye and say "Actually, I'm Mr. domfreqflyer".
To be fair in defense of your neighbour, he might not be aware of meal selection priority. Given that it sounds like he wasn't asked after you, he probably doesn't have SE nor knows of the priority meal selection "benefits", especially since they aren't published publicly anywhere that I've seen. Not everyone is paying attention to these details, and I'd hazard to guess those who do notice these details are the minority.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Perhaps it is now a change in SOP where SEs are no longer asked for their meal order first when there isn't enough of everything catered.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Perhaps it is now a change in SOP where SEs are no longer asked for their meal order first when there isn't enough of everything catered.
Could be, but would be nice to know so that we could plan accordingly
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: AC E75K
I know I sound like a broken record, but there is such a simple solution to this meal priority "conundrum" that seems to become the subject of discussion here at least once a week: online ordering.

I know it won't be a perfect solution that solves the problem for everyone (last minute flyers, those affected by schedule changes, etc.), but it will go a long way. And other airlines have shown it is clearly doable.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
I know I sound like a broken record, but there is such a simple solution to this meal priority "conundrum" that seems to become the subject of discussion here at least once a week: online ordering.

I know it won't be a perfect solution that solves the problem for everyone (last minute flyers, those affected by schedule changes, etc.), but it will go a long way. And other airlines have shown it is clearly doable.
This is AC we are talking about, Unless J paxes are willing to pay for it.... dont see it happeningé
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
This is AC we are talking about, Unless J paxes are willing to pay for it.... dont see it happeningé
Actually, this is one of those rare things that could save AC money (through reduced food waste), make the lives of crew easier (no more running around the cabin trying to tabulate orders on a slip of paper), and please customers (everyone gets their first choice). I believe AC has already considered this and even sent out a survey to some SEs for feedback.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Actually, this is one of those rare things that could save AC money (through reduced food waste), make the lives of crew easier (no more running around the cabin trying to tabulate orders on a slip of paper), and please customers (everyone gets their first choice). I believe AC has already considered this and even sent out a survey to some SEs for feedback.
Hmm, Well I hope with this meal ordering I don't have to eat breakfast on a 9:30 flight out of YVR on a premium transcon, I dont think I speak for everyone, but I would argue with wheels being up one hour later, we are actually much closer to lunch time than breakfast. :P
Oh and I thought it is very interesting that AC sales biz class meal on NA routes but not on international routes: To reduce food waste.......while earning extra $$$$
I really wanted to see what the hype about those new dishes are about and willing to pay $15-20 for it.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I really wanted to see what the hype about those new dishes are about and willing to pay $15-20 for it.
Do yourself a favour and spend those $15-20 at a nice restaurant. The Hawksworth dishes, while not bad for airline food, are nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:20 am

Do yourself a favour and spend those $15-20 at a nice restaurant. The Hawksworth dishes, while not bad for airline food, are nothing to write home about.
Ugh, I would still pay that to avoid the god awful breakfast. Having AC Y breakfast is the only time having me picture those chemical filled mc.d breakfast and go "man I wish I could have that instead lol"

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Apr 25, 2016 at 2:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.