Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognizing your loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AC SE, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Presidents Club
Something is definitely going on. Im on an AC flight to LAX and just watched the SD come back to Y and thank several SE for their loyalty. I have never seen that before.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'd be happy if more than 50% of the time they would acknowledge that they are aware a deaf person is in my seat (other than by giving me a patronizing "this is how you do up the seatbelt" demo when I am already buckled into the seatbelt.)
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by 24left
Agreed.

It's not demographics (guy aged 26), it's psychographics ("look, I'd rather be elsewhere, so buzz off", "I'm not getting paid enough to deal with you people", or whatever attitude he had at the time). Should he have known better? You bet.

Look, a while back I posted in a thread with a similar topic about a check-in agent at YVR who not only hassled me about being SE ("this line is for SEs only"), I asked for her name and then happened to see a senior AC person in the MLL and told them the story. Not only was the check-in agent seriously rude (and I'm sure not just to me), but also lied about their name. Did they think no one would find out?

My point to the senior agent is that perhaps that check-in person needed some "additional customer service" training. I said that I just didn't want others to have to go through the same thing.

As for recognizing loyalty, it occurs to me that for every one AC employee who may thank a J pax or SE or whoever, there is at least one other employee who behaves as this 26 year-old did in the YVR MLL.

Some people do not belong in customer-facing jobs.
In a situation with a United ground staff who was very disrespectful and refused to give her name, I went to another part of the United area and asked another staff for the name. Got it and sent my feedback via their website.

Their business class check-in was only kiosk and this staff member was "supervising" passengers checking in. The machines were different than AC and ran into some difficulties using it. Agent ended up doing some of the check-in and I got the dreaded SSSS. Have always wondered if she triggered that.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ylwae
For me this year, zero recognition on Dash flights and only meal order recognition in business class. So from my perspective, your experience seems like a one-off.
Maybe this "new normal" only applies to mainline... and ACX/Rouge customers get a hork and spit to the face.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RN29
That child at YVR MLL DOM is a real douche. He def. needs a talking to from someone regarding the responsibilities of his job. He's a front line customer service rep. Not a "I'm being paid to sit here and play Angry Birds on my iphone" ACC employee.
I would write in.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by domfreqflyer
I get this a lot as well. I look younger (but not that young) and I often fly in comfortable clothes rather than a suit but I never look like a bum.

My worst experience was a gate agent at YYZ who condescendingly told me they were only boarding zone 1 at the time and wouldn't even take my boarding pass. I finally shoved it in his face, he took my ID and compared it for almost a full minute before saying "okay now I believe you" and graciously let me on the plane so I could go to my J seat.
I'm mid-30s and I can often look pretty young. It's totally amazing the difference in service quality when I'm wearing older jeans and a t-shirt vs a suit, or even just slacks and a button-down shirt.

I've been (rather rudely) challenged a few times while standing in the SE line when in jeans. Not even once in slacks and a shirt. My reaction to this now is to give off the biggest DYKWIA attitude possible when I get asked... just sorta stare the agent down and point to my baggage tag.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AC E75K
I'm 27 and am told I look young. My dress is usually casual but neat. I've experienced the incredulity described by many here on more than one occasion, but I always wear it as a badge of honour.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by epiphani
....I've been (rather rudely) challenged a few times while standing in the SE line when in jeans. Not even once in slacks and a shirt. My reaction to this now is to give off the biggest DYKWIA attitude possible when I get asked... just sorta stare the agent down and point to my baggage tag.

Hmmmmm

I wrote this in the Demographics thread

.....Imagine how impressed I've been to be asked EACH and EVERY time I enter the SE line at YYZ and YVR if I belong there.

There is a "bouncer" at the line for U.S. departures at YYZ and of course, there is one standing guard at the newish "Priority" area, first door at YYZ. As per Mr. Cow's suggestion in another thread, I've attempted the sport-look by wearing my SE tags (even once, around my neck, for fun).

On my last departure a couple of weeks ago, I had both of the bag tags placed on top of my carry-on on top of the cart. Yet, as I approach the entry, there it that familiar Are you a SE?" or "This is for SE whatever, etc."

I asked the bouncer if she saw my tags. She said "Oh, the tags are black and your bag is black, it was hard to tell"

OUTSTANDING.

In fact, when I've been stopped at the entry to the U.S. line and they ask if I'm SE and I point to my bag tag, they often say "Oh, I didn't see it" with the occasional add-on "You have no idea how many people say they are SE but aren't".

Gender and/or clothing bias affects not just the young Mr. Cow.....
So now I'm wondering, what shall it be over the next few days.....

I think I'll make it a game-day decision as to epiphani's "look of DYKWIA", or wear my tags as decorative items and see if the bouncers notice.

(Note to self: come up with answer to question about how AC employees recognize my loyalty when they can't recognize who I am. LOL)

Last edited by 24left; Apr 14, 2016 at 10:11 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE
I think I'll make it a game-day decision as to epiphani's "look of DYKWIA", or wear my tags as decorative items and see if the bouncers notice.
I should note, I only do that when the question comes off more like "I can tell you're not an SE by looking at you" and it's rude, rather than politely asking.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by epiphani
I should note, I only do that when the question comes off more like "I can tell you're not an SE by looking at you" and it's rude, rather than politely asking.
Well of course.

I think I will give "the Stare" a go. Just for fun.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
in the last 2 weeks I've done YYZ-HKG and YYZ-IST on AC in J. the SD's all came to intro themselves to all the pax, but only on 1 leg (YYZ-IST) did they comment on me being MM and loyalty etc. otherwise, no recognition.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Well of course.

I think I will give "the Stare" a go. Just for fun.
I enjoyed doing the stare last month at YYZ for transborder check in. Gate guardian backed right off.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I enjoyed doing the stare last month at YYZ for transborder check in. Gate guardian backed right off.
^
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I would write in.
If I had to write in for issues on 5% of my flights or employee encounters, I would spend my entire life "writing in".

AC is winning the war of attrition!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: ACSE, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I'll agree that the service on AC overall is more consistent - and I've never not had my preferred meal of choice. Overall steps in the right direction.

But, generally speaking, I've gotten way more acknowledgement and thanks on SA and TG for being *G than I have on AC for being SE. Seems kinda backwards....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.