Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recognizing your loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Zarg
I'll agree that the service on AC overall is more consistent - and I've never not had my preferred meal of choice. Overall steps in the right direction.

But, generally speaking, I've gotten way more acknowledgement and thanks on SA and TG for being *G than I have on AC for being SE. Seems kinda backwards....
I wasn't acknowledged on my 2 SA flights in the past week...but their equivalent of SE was. Super awkward canned speech about loyalty and letting them know if they can do anything for them.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: ACSE, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Yep sounds like the same rehearsed spiel that I heard on each of my last 4 SA flights. It was awkward because in each case I could physically see the FA trying to remember the exact words to repeat....

Nonetheless the intent and effort were appreciated. Even though I could tell it was forced, I genuinely thought they appreciated the business.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Maybe this "new normal" only applies to mainline... and ACX/Rouge customers get a hork and spit to the face.
Maybe that's what the moisture dripping from overhead is supposed to represent...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Is it that important that this be acknowledged? Most people don't care. If anything, they want to keep low profiles.
Exactly! ^

The last couple of times the in-charge started to mention something to me about flying, SE*MM, blah, blah, blah, I put a stop to it right away. No one else other than myself needs to know what status I have. I already know, and the crew can find out by looking at the PIL.

The less people say to me about anything SE*MM related during my travels the happier I am.

I really don't see the point of this, I just see it as an empty corporate statement aimed at stroking the egos of those that have some sense of elevated importance. *sigh*
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ylwae
Maybe that's what the moisture dripping from overhead is supposed to represent...
ewwww. I just puked in my mouth.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Maybe this "new normal" only applies to mainline... and ACX/Rouge customers get a hork and spit to the face.
I don't know what you're talking about, but when I fly Jazz...

Let's just say Dan asked us what the heck was going on when this was handed to him.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't know what you're talking about, but when I fly Jazz...

Let's just say Dan asked us what the heck was going on when this was handed to him.
Ok, I salute you with a golf clap and some cookies.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Ok, I salute you with a golf clap and some cookies.
Don't mind me.

I haven't even flown to see my grandmother yet this year.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: AC E75K
It's clear from this thread that some people value external "recognition" much more than others, probably a function of our individual senses of self, insecurities, etc.

I've long held this — arguably cynical — "conspiracy theory" that airlines have figured out (whether by design or accident) that for a not insignificant group of people, external validation in the form of status and exclusivity visibly on display to others is something of value. Hence boarding F and J before Y when all empirical studies show that boarding back to front is more efficient (and carry-on space is usually not an issue for mainline flights with dedicated F/J cabins). This also explains the obsession with luggage tags, the red- (substitute brand-specific colour) carpeted boarding lanes, the use of words like "elite", "platinum", "executive", etc.

In theory, airlines could be a lot more discreet about individual passengers' statuses and still provide the same level of service. But despite what many of us claim publicly, I think the dirty secret is that quite a few among us do crave that kind of public recognition. And the airlines know this and are more than happy to provide it — with a price tag attached.

Call me crazy!

Last edited by capedreamer; Sep 17, 2016 at 3:43 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: E35K,Skymiles
I was warmly thanked by an MLL gatekeeper recently.

After denying me access with my lowly 25k guest pass ("we have to have space for the members"), she thanked me for not yelling at her.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by capedreamer
It's clear from this thread that some people value external "recognition" much more than others, probably a function to our individual senses of self, insecurities, etc.

I've long held this — arguably cynical — "conspiracy theory" that airlines have figured out (whether by design or accident) that for a not insignificant group of people, external validation in the form of status and exclusivity visibly on display to others is something of value. Hence boarding F and J before Y when all empirical studies show that boarding back to front is more efficient (and carry-on space is usually not an issue for mainline flights with dedicated F/J cabins). This also explains the obsession with luggage tags, the red- (substitute brand-specific colour) carpeted boarding lanes, the use of words like "elite", "platinum", "executive", etc.

In theory, airlines could be a lot more discreet about individual passengers' statuses and still provide the same level of service. But despite what many of us claim publicly, I think the dirty secret is that quite a few among us do crave that kind of public recognition. And the airlines know this and are more than happy to provide it — with a price tag attached.

Call me crazy!
Living in SFO and flying AC, the most surprising thing you just wrote is "carry-on space is usually not an issue for mainline flights with dedicated F/J cabins".

That is not at all my experience.

However, I saw a J passenger getting VERY annoyed with a concierge who was only helping me and my friend. I had to explain to her why. When businessmen flying J from YYZ-ORD get worse treatment than "that kid", they get annoyed. They are much less annoyed when they realize "that kid" is Super Elite, and has actually earned the treatment.

So I'm not sure the "public displays of status" are to appease the people with status so much as to appease everyone else.

Discretely helping someone looks a lot like "That GA's friend got an upgrade!"
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by 172pilot
It certainly seems like there is more recognition. Recently in the lounges and even during boarding I have been thanked. It may not be important to some people but I personally like it. I don't need the ego boost but rather it shows that AC actually recognizes that the SE customers help the bottom line of the company.
Lol

Who told you SEs help the bottom line of company?

An Ultralonghaul Y SE would contribute significantly less than the occasional J 75er. A J heavy, cross-border 50er contributes a lot more than an Asian bound Y SE. And it can go on and on. I'm sure there are certain SE who do contribute handsomely to the bottom line as well but this is by no means exclusice to the SE tier.

While program and fare restructuring several yeara back has definitely discouraged most of the ultra-bottomfeeder SEs (per an alleged AC executive's comments) SE is still far from a true 'bottom line contributor' indicator until AC switches to an actual revenue based reward system.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
Lol

Who told you SEs help the bottom line of company?

An Ultralonghaul Y SE would contribute significantly less than the occasional J 75er. A J heavy, cross-border 50er contributes a lot more than an Asian bound Y SE. And it can go on and on. I'm sure there are certain SE who do contribute handsomely to the bottom line as well but this is by no means exclusice to the SE tier.

While program and fare restructuring several yeara back has definitely discouraged most of the ultra-bottomfeeder SEs (per an alleged AC executive's comments) SE is still far from a true 'bottom line contributor' indicator until AC switches to an actual revenue based reward system.
Uh, have you looked at AQD?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:09 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Uh, have you looked at AQD?
AQD has just phased in for this year and is still a supplement to AQM or AQS. It still doesn't prove an SE is a major bottom line contributer as it leaves out domestic/transborder/Euro J flyers who won't make the AQS or AQM despite likely far surpassing the AQD. The new requirement will however effectively cut off the bottomfeeding Y SE flyers.

What I was talking about in my post was something like UA GS which is a 100% revenue, bottom line contribution based status.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Living in SFO and flying AC, the most surprising thing you just wrote is "carry-on space is usually not an issue for mainline flights with dedicated F/J cabins".

That is not at all my experience.
Agreed. I've been of hundreds (probably thousands) of TATL, TPAC, and transcon widebody mainline flights where carry-on space is a big challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.