Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
Gee i think you are right, the better the seat the more you do pay on an airline (PY and J) - often they are closer to the front too!

The difference is that even those in the upper level at a concert don't have to wait until 24 hours ahead of time to select their seats, or when they enter the stadium.

Any reason why AC doesn't do this for international flights then for their cheap (discounted tickets) fares?
.???? Last time I looked row 35 is the same price as row 25 on any flight. Not the same in your concert exsample.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Other airlines and their seating arrangements are best discussed in those respective airline forums so let's please confine the discussion in this thread to AC seating policies.

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old May 1, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
Hmmm, wording seems so familiar. Timing is interesting.
Big Brother is watching.

In the end, I think it works out for everyone.

The extra seat selection fee profit that is not worth:
A) negative publicity whenever some entitled parent(s) make a stink
B) Saves on-board crew repeated headaches of shuffling families
C) Keeps other customers, happy - by not making them move seats.

They should keep the free grouped seats at the back of the plane though, since they are complimentary.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/160429_1.html

Travelling with Children

[...]

In order to ease the travel experience for our young passengers and their parent or guardian, we ask that you inform the Air Canada agent or your travel agent at time of booking that you are travelling with children under the age of 12.

[...]
So you can't actually request this service when booking online, can you? It apparently is a manual waive of the seat selection fee. Cue the a) 1+ hour wait to book and b) agent that has not been informed of the policy and will refuse to look it up.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
.???? Last time I looked row 35 is the same price as row 25 on any flight. Not the same in your concert exsample.
Actually it is the same. Concert tickets are different prices depending on the section you are in.

Just like on a plane, business class, economy plus and regular economy.

But at a concert you don't need to pay extra to pick a certain seat in the section or wait until 24 hours before the concert
Old May 1, 2016, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Actually it is the same. Concert tickets are different prices depending on the section you are in.

Just like on a plane, business class, economy plus and regular economy.

But at a concert you don't need to pay extra to pick a certain seat in the section or wait until 24 hours before the concert
No, but every few rows the price goes up in a concert section. This does not happen on a aircraft. Anyways totally non apple to apple aguement. The only exsamples would be comparing different airlines, but we can't talk about this anymore.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; May 1, 2016 at 8:06 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
I was reminded of this

Love it.

One could say, they're you have it.

Or perhaps there error was simply a typo?

Perhaps, in the end, their just being silly.

your both knitpicking to much we're the spirit of the post is still legible.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
your both knitpicking to much we're the spirit of the post is still legible.
Perhaps, but it's part of that unique relationship I have with Wpgjetse

But mostly, I can't miss an opportunity to provide a screen shot because, well, life is short.

Thanks though.

Last edited by 24left; May 2, 2016 at 12:44 am Reason: auto-correct thinks shots are shorts
Old May 2, 2016, 2:22 am

No, but every few rows the price goes up in a concert section. This does not happen on a aircraft. Anyways totally non apple to apple aguement. The only exsamples would be comparing different airlines, but we can't talk about this anymore.
concerts usually don't have price changes every few rows.
And they hold a few more people then an airplane.

In the end they don't charge people extra for getting to choose their seat ahead of time, nor do they tell them you have to wait until 24 hours ahead of time to pick your seats.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:50 pm
Suspended

concerts usually don't have price changes every few rows.
And they hold a few more people then an airplane.

In the end they don't charge people extra for getting to choose their seat ahead of time, nor do they tell them you have to wait until 24 hours ahead of time to pick your seats.
Maybe not in "Tunetown", but in Vancouver/Toronto they do. Muse concert, 1 row increased my price by $40. This discussion is all about pax thinking they are entitled free seats on discounted tickets. You are in favor of entitlement and I'm not. Government should stay out of it.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Maybe not in "Tunetown", but in Vancouver/Toronto they do. Muse concert, 1 row increased my price by $40. This discussion is all about pax thinking they are entitled free seats on discounted tickets. You are in favor of entitlement and I'm not. Government should stay out of it.
One row between Y and J increases your price much more than $40

In any case, this has absolutely nothing to do with entitlement. It's irresponsible for parents to be separated by their children; I don't know how anyone can dispute this. AC's new policy is entirely reasonable and eliminates the need for cabin crew to disrupt other passengers while they conduct musical chairs seat the child with his / her parent or guardian.

FWIW I don't think every single case of separated parents and children comes down to cheapness or entitlement. It wouldn't surprise me if many parents don't realize it's not always possible for the airport to assign adjacent seats at check-in. Sure, some people are just cheap, but even more don't fly nearly as often as we do. Most people don't even know what "GTE" means.

Put it this way: "I don't want to pay for advanced seat selection" isn't the same as "I don't care if I'm not seated next to my child." I'm sure you'll find that those who didn't pay to choose their seats in advance made that choice because they don't care where they sit and had the expectation that it would be somewhere next to their kid.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
One row between Y and J increases your price much more than $40
So is the price between the first row of the upper deck and the private box 1 row forward
Old May 2, 2016, 5:07 pm

So is the price between the first row of the upper deck and the private box 1 row forward
Sigh. You miss the whole point. Yes there is a difference in price *sometimes* between one row and another, just like on a plane too from economy plus to regular economy.

But again you do not have to pay extra to pick that seat on your section at a concert. If you are in a certain section and row you didn't pay extra to pick the seat ahead of time! Nor did you have to wait until 24 hours out to pick it.

And AC seems quite capable of letting people pick ahead of time for international flights even when paying tango fares!

At least this seems settled now that AC acknowledges its policy was wrong and will waive it for families.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim

In any case, this has absolutely nothing to do with entitlement. It's irresponsible for parents to be separated by their children; I don't know how anyone can dispute this. AC's new policy is entirely reasonable and eliminates the need for cabin crew to disrupt other passengers while they conduct musical chairs seat the child with his / her parent or guardian.

This has everything to do with entitlement. The couple in the CBC news report bought discounted tickets(not full fare/bad CBC reporting), knew fare rules, paid for their seat selection, but were not willing to pay for their kid's seat. Yes, parents should not be separated from their kids, but it is the parents responsibility not AC's. Anyways, this has turned into a hamster wheel.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:28 pm
Original Member

Seems to me that AC is missing a great marketing opportunity:

"Enjoy a flight free of parenting responsibilities and save money too!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.