Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by skybluesea
and a gov't regulator will do better job tellling firm's how to deal with their customers -why bother, just re-nationalize all industries and these kinds of problems will magically go away.

of course I know your kidding...right?
Yes, I was kidding! The idea of eating a cake and having a cake is always a hopeless one! Interestingly enough some people never give up trying!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Every passenger receives a preselected seat at no charge. Parents, kids, fat, skinny, etc etc.

This doesn't have to be about giving a party of two or more a free seat selection. This is just about one thing: keep a child and one parent together, particularly if booked in the same PNR. It's not hard. It doesn't cost anything, it doesn't even provide a "free benefit" to anyone.

The same way that a passenger must answer a bunch of questions for safety's sake when assigned an exit seat (or choosing one), an adult on a booking including a minor should be kept seated together, again for safety's sake.

This is clearly an AC issue and not an entitlement issue.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Oct 3, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:58 pm
Suspended

According to this

http://whyaircanadasucks.com/air-can...lation-policy/

One can't even be guaranteed two seats together after being charged the seat selection fee!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest
According to this

http://whyaircanadasucks.com/air-can...lation-policy/

One can't even be guaranteed two seats together after being charged the seat selection fee!
That does not seem to make much sense? Couldn't he have changed seats right after booking? Or were there enough preferred seats already selected that there were no two together?

Anyway, at best unclear. I suspect disingenuous.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
That does not seem to make much sense? Couldn't he have changed seats right after booking? Or were there enough preferred seats already selected that there were no two together?

Anyway, at best unclear. I suspect disingenuous.
Perhaps. I have no first hand experience

I do, however, have first hand experience with it being completely impossible to select seats on codeshares and being separated at time of boarding.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Talk about exaggerated responses. No don't nationalize, who even suggested anything even remotely like that?. Don't even try to regulate TBH unless a company shows itself totally unwilling or incapable of utilizing common sense or ( if you believe the UK CAA) continues to have business practices that ultimately seem to put profit before safety.

As for IRROPS I wonder how UK airlines or airlines in other parts of the world that don't have this silly system ever cope.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allvest

I do, however, have first hand experience with it being completely impossible to select seats on codeshares and being separated at time of boarding.
I have actually been reasonably successful at that. Hardest part often is to obtain the booking reference on the other airline.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by skybluesea
While those who take no action to secure seats together under normal ops get what they deserve, under IRROPS, then I say "Pay It Forward".
Not quite sure what does means. Paying up for F/J? What are the odds of that being available after a snow storm and 200 cancelled flights? Certainly last winter we were in paid F and voluntarily downgraded ourselves so that we could get out of DEN rather than waiting 4 days. The gate agent at UA in fact managed to get us all seated together. We are very grateful for what she did. But that was out of good will. I would prefer if there is legislative back up.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Parrotfish
Not quite sure what does means. Paying up for F/J?
"pay it forward" translates into do something nice (i.e. give up your seat to allow the family to be together) recognizing that someday someone else will do you a favour.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
just had opportunity to pay if forward at YUL SE check-in, where I let 3 separate travelers go ahead who were in the business line as they had their flights cancelled and all needed to get rebooked.

I couldn;t care less if someone did this for me, but was the right thing to do in these particular circumstances, and I spent my time catching up on Candy Crush.

helping others when things go wrong including seat assignments always has merit, but not because someone decides that they should get to seat together when they had opportunity to buy assigned seats - big difference in mind anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://globalnews.ca/news/2558743/pa...tes-firestorm/

A parent’s Facebook post about a stressful travel experience for her husband and young child is resonating with moms and dads across the city. The father and daughter were seated apart on an Air Canada flight Thursday. But as Caryn Lieberman found out, there is no regulation forcing airlines to seat kids and parents together.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://globalnews.ca/news/2558743/pa...tes-firestorm/

A parent’s Facebook post about a stressful travel experience for her husband and young child is resonating with moms and dads across the city. The father and daughter were seated apart on an Air Canada flight Thursday. But as Caryn Lieberman found out, there is no regulation forcing airlines to seat kids and parents together.
As someone who flies almost weekly I have yet to see an occasion when an IC doesn't help people change seats when asked. BUT, one needs to ask as they are way too busy when the flight is loading pax. Usually they will ask the people to stand just inside the galley area and wait until all pax have been boarded and then ask people to move. I have seen this done many many times.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the aircanada.com web page ought to have a question showing up when booking for multiple passengers, asking if they want to book setaas together. And charge for seat assignments.

With a big warning that if they do not buy seat assignments they likely won't be seated together.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Perhaps the aircanada.com web page ought to have a question showing up when booking for multiple passengers, asking if they want to book setaas together. And charge for seat assignments.

With a big warning that if they do not buy seat assignments they likely won't be seated together.
Yes. I will acknowledge that during IRROPS or missed connections seat changes may be necessary to accommodate families with small children. However, in normal circumstances (i.e. 98% of the time) it is absolutely and unconditionally out of order to request passengers who paid for seat selection to move in favour of others who didn't. It is even more out of order to not pay and then expect others who did pay to move.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Sopwith

Yes. I will acknowledge that during IRROPS or missed connections seat changes may be necessary to accommodate families with small children. However, in normal circumstances (i.e. 98% of the time) it is absolutely and unconditionally out of order to request passengers who paid for seat selection to move in favour of others who didn't. It is even more out of order to not pay and then expect others who did pay to move.
Also, parents should be happy with the invaluable life lesson of teaching the importance of independence to the kids.

Seriously though, it' not as if the different parts of the tube are going to different places.

Helicopter parenting is such a #fail for the kids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.