Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you need a passport to travel, you need a DOB. Domestic Canadian flights do not require a DOB.
Perhaps this is the silly booking engines and TA I use. My experience is even with a domestic flight I need to put a date of birth to complete the transaction.

Perhaps the industry uses lazy software developers who find it easier to use the same form for all bookings.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you need a passport to travel, you need a DOB. Domestic Canadian flights do not require a DOB.
Noted. WestJet isn't clear on it not being mandatory on a quick glance.

That being said, the issue does sort-of remain that the airlines really should be loading some sort of checkbox there regarding age (and then bouncing back hard if the booking agent(s) aren't checking the right boxes).

Edit: And of course, with airlines generally seeming to require it, I think the term "negligence" comes to mind here: They require the DOB and technically allow the booking of a UM (often a UM well below the age threshold) on a stand-alone PNR.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Perhaps this is the silly booking engines and TA I use. My experience is even with a domestic flight I need to put a date of birth to complete the transaction.

Perhaps the industry uses lazy software developers who find it easier to use the same form for all bookings.
I recently booked an Aeroplan reward for my 9 years old granddaughter. Aeroplan won't let booking UMs on the web. So to avoid the fee and to make sure I would grab the seat before it would vanish, I first booked her as an adult and then I phoned and paid the UM fee.

I recall that I had to enter her date of birth. However the site does not validate the Adult thing with the DOB info. When I phoned, the agent noticed that indeed the DOB was consistent with "Child."

I would assume aircanada.com works in the same way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.