Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:15 pm

@Northern,

It should still be scattered around the cabin (for Y). While yes, the facilities are better in the back, some of those seats also appeal to other travellers as well (for example, those that don't want the normal meals or those that value even half a leg of space). You also don't necessarily want a concentration of kids in the back. A stampede of little ones in an area with limited space is often a bad idea..

As for J, I could see if parents want to book it, that the kids have to be across the aisle from the parents. While not idea, the parents can still exert control over their kids (most of the time).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
This may be controversial to ask but why does there need to be a charge to select your seat ahead of time? Is there any extra cost to the airline if they let you select when you book? (Not counting preferred seats)

When you buy tickets to a concert you get to choose the seats without having to pay extra, even when buying cheap tickets. Imagine if they said you had to pay extra to pick your actual seat or wait till 24 hours in advance and then pick seats in the level you bought your tickets.

For years there was no charge for selecting your seat. I get no frills, you don't get food for example without paying extra, but then the airline saves too. How does no advanced seat selection actually save the airline money and reduce costs?

Is it not just a money grab?
I've certainly bought cheap concert tickets that did not have a "seat assignment". Bring a blanket, sit on the grass. Tickets with seat assignments were more expensive.

True. United you buy lowest economy and you still get to select your seat, just like it always has been. Southwest you don't get to and in fact you line up and can pay extra to be in the front of the line. A cash grab no doubt.
Funny. I bought a UA B fare the other day, and I couldn't select a seat for free because there were only E+ left.

If they didn't allow low fares to select seats for free, there would have been open seats available.

I ended up canceling the ticket.

So United lost a high revenue purchase because they allow low revenue tickets free advance seat selection.

It's not a "$0 cost" for AC to allow it, if it pushes people like me onto other airlines.

Originally Posted by canolakid
Depending on time of booking, fare class and travellers FF status, there may be no seats 'left' to choose unless pay up to E+. Still leads to 'can you switch seats so we can sit together' issues.
Exactly. And that's in the case where I'm not on a cheapo Tango fare.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I find it interesting that most of the posts want to push these people to the back (literally) of the plane and some are finding excuses to also push them out of the J cabin.
No, that's just a logical continuation of the argument.

If a child MUST sit beside a parent, then a child MUST NOT sit in a pod, because you cannot satisfy the first condition.

I don't agree with this at all, but that's the argument being made.

Originally Posted by pewpew
I have a somewhat-related question for the AC employees who still post here. I read this comment on reddit. Basically, an unaccompanied minor sat next to a solo male traveler, and the FA asked the male traveler to move or risk getting kicked off the plane because AC doesn't allow solo male pax to sit next to solo children. Is that actually true?

(If this was answered further upthread, sorry)
Originally Posted by pewpew
There's a 6-letter word that describes this practice perfectly, starting with an 's' and ending with an 'ism'...
+1
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've certainly bought cheap concert tickets that did not have a "seat assignment". Bring a blanket, sit on the grass. Tickets with seat assignments were more expensive.

Funny. I bought a UA B fare the other day, and I couldn't select a seat for free because there were only E+ left.

If they didn't allow low fares to select seats for free, there would have been open seats available.

I ended up canceling the ticket.

So United lost a high revenue purchase because they allow low revenue tickets free advance seat selection.

It's not a "$0 cost" for AC to allow it, if it pushes people like me onto other airlines.
Yes some concerts have general admission - but usually not with specific seats like a plane where people may be forced to be split up.

As for having all the economy seating gone i said that can happen but a lot less frequent. Generally on UA when no free seats are left, i often just get E+ for free.

And given your example i guess AC must be losing lots of revenue from people like you then on international flights where they allow those in tango to select seats for free!

Realistically of course they are not. And charging for seat selection is simply a cash grab.

And now instead of blaming AC for the fact if they want the profit, they need to put up with the bad PR and stress to all passengers, instead we blame the passengers.

Just realize that if you want to book AC, then compared to mainline airlines you will have to deal with this stress more often than you would with a mainline airline.
If you don't want to deal with this from time to time then don't book AC for flights within North America.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by mkjr
What if the child is disabled? Does AC have a legal obligation to sit a disabled child next to at least one parent if the disability requires full time attention and assistance.
Yes, and the same goes for a blind person assist, etc...

And it appears, at least the way this article is worded in quotes of Lukacs , that AC is merely complying with CTA requirements and even AC's own tariff... perhaps a nice reminder to staff what existing policy is, was all that happened here?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ares-1.3560027
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Just realize that if you want to book AC, then compared to mainline airlines you will have to deal with this stress more often than you would with a mainline airline.
No, because I don't buy Tango. So I don't have to "deal with this".

And I guess LH isn't a "mainline airline" either.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
This may be controversial to ask but why does there need to be a charge to select your seat ahead of time? Is there any extra cost to the airline if they let you select when you book? (Not counting preferred seats)

When you buy tickets to a concert you get to choose the seats without having to pay extra, even when buying cheap tickets. Imagine if they said you had to pay extra to pick your actual seat or wait till 24 hours in advance and then pick seats in the level you bought your tickets.

For years there was no charge for selecting your seat. I get no frills, you don't get food for example without paying extra, but then the airline saves too. How does no advanced seat selection actually save the airline money and reduce costs?

Is it not just a money grab?

So, should airlines charge more for every row closer to the front? Better the seat, more you pay, just like a concert. I don't think it's a money grab. AC only charges for there cheap(discounted tickets) fares.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

LH doesn't give seat selection even on Lat fares. Closer to home, Delta and AA are changing to no seat selection on there low fare class. You can't even buy a seat if you wanted to.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Apr 30, 2016 at 6:15 pm
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I was reminded of this

Attached Images  
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 24left
I was reminded of this

Great, now I'm angry.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
LH doesn't give seat selection even on Lat fares. Closer to home, Delta and AA are changing to no seat selection on there low fare class. You can't even buy a seat if you wanted to.
Just booked revenue space on BA. Hard to believe for a full fare PY & J ticket, seat selection is NOT complementary unless you have BA/OW status.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Just booked revenue space on BA. Hard to believe for a full fare PY & J ticket, seat selection is NOT complementary unless you have BA/OW status.
You need to be Oneworld Sapphire or above in order to pre-select premium seats on BA for free. The reason being many of their premium passengers who tend to buy full or more expensive fares complain about not being able to select good seats as they tend to book their trips on short notice and by that time, most if not all the desirable seats are already occupied. People who book far in advance tend to buy discounted fares, including business class fares. To balance it out, they impose such restriction.

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/160429_1.html

Travelling with Children

April 29, 2016

At Air Canada, our intent is to always seat children with a parent or guardian. For this reason, we offer complimentary seat assignment for parents/guardians and children under the age of 12 who are travelling together*.

In order to ease the travel experience for our young passengers and their parent or guardian, we ask that you inform the Air Canada agent or your travel agent at time of booking that you are travelling with children under the age of 12.

If you’ve already completed your reservation, you can go to the Manage My Bookings tab within 36 hours of completing your booking to confirm that your child has automatically been seated with a parent or guardian. Alternatively, please contact Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent to make the necessary changes.

In the event that adjacent seating cannot be arranged, Air Canada will offer other flight options or a full refund.

* Applies to all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada rouge.
This is very good news. I am glad that Air Canada finally recognized it made a mistake. It would be quite embarrassing to force Ottawa to legislate or being dragged to Court by passengers. Air Canada can use a break from weekly PR fiasco published by the CBC.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, because I don't buy Tango. So I don't have to "deal with this".
you miss the point, it doesn't matter what you buy because AC is doing this no matter what your fare is.
And therefore situations happen more frequently where people are asked to move to accommodate families sitting together.

So yes you will have to deal with us - either by being asked to move or as a bystander watching others being asked and potential upset.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I was reminded of this

Love it.

One could say, they're you have it.

Or perhaps there error was simply a typo?

Perhaps, in the end, their just being silly.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
So, should airlines charge more for every row closer to the front? Better the seat, more you pay, just like a concert. I don't think it's a money grab. AC only charges for there cheap(discounted tickets) fares.
Gee i think you are right, the better the seat the more you do pay on an airline (PY and J) - often they are closer to the front too!

The difference is that even those in the upper level at a concert don't have to wait until 24 hours ahead of time to select their seats, or when they enter the stadium.

Any reason why AC doesn't do this for international flights then for their cheap (discounted tickets) fares?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/160429_1.html

Travelling with Children

April 29, 2016

At Air Canada, our intent is to always seat children with a parent or guardian. For this reason, we offer complimentary seat assignment for parents/guardians and children under the age of 12 who are travelling together*.

In order to ease the travel experience for our young passengers and their parent or guardian, we ask that you inform the Air Canada agent or your travel agent at time of booking that you are travelling with children under the age of 12.

If you’ve already completed your reservation, you can go to the Manage My Bookings tab within 36 hours of completing your booking to confirm that your child has automatically been seated with a parent or guardian. Alternatively, please contact Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent to make the necessary changes.

In the event that adjacent seating cannot be arranged, Air Canada will offer other flight options or a full refund.

* Applies to all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada rouge.
^ ^

Wow. Good on AC!

I just logged back in to follow-up on a couple of things.

1) When I book with my young family now, I make sure we get seats assigned (previously when on the tail end of SE status, and recently by buying flex).

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
On my flight right now there is a family of 4 separated (2 parents, 1 child, 1 lap infant). The father is giving a ton of lip and attitude to the FA's and the SD for not seating them ALL together.

The children are all sitting with the mother and switches made to put them in preferred seats.

The father is in the exit row, and he's still griefing and pouting to the crew about not seating them together.
To follow-up. I have to compliment the SD and the FA for how professionally they managed the sulky father. They kept their cool, gave him updates, and kept the explanation plain and simple:
- they need to wait until boarding is done since it is a full flight
- they are continuing to sort out the seat issue for him
They never let the entitled attitude of the passenger get to the them.

Kudos to the crew of AC141 that late at night^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.