Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:37 am

IMHO, the simplest solutions are simpler than any IT solutions.

- do away with the fee. It represents little more than the monetization of a service that has an actual cost of $0, and is fundamentally flawed insofar as it can result in unreasonable outcomes, or requires accommodation from other pax (note that the impact on the airline is negligible).

- incorporate the fee in the fare. That is to say, raise fares. If that means losing the business of price-sensitive pax, the rest of the uninconvenienced pax will be better off for it. If the argument is that people are too price-sensitive, then what's the point of imposing fees they're not going to pay either way, in the first place?

It says a lot that the strongest argument against introducing regulations is the hope that other paying pax will accommodate complaining pax. The problem with these profit-generating, airline manufactured 'problems' is that they inevitably tick people off.

That's a dangerous game to play in a (somewhat responsive) democratic system. Companies like AC don't exist in a vacuum. They exist at the pleasure of the government. Which exists at the pleasure of the people. Upset enough people...and well, enjoy the regulation.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
True. United you buy lowest economy and you still get to select your seat, just like it always has been..
Depending on time of booking, fare class and travellers FF status, there may be no seats 'left' to choose unless pay up to E+. Still leads to 'can you switch seats so we can sit together' issues.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
How is screwing over single travellers or couples who pay for seat selection a "compromise?"

Families aren't special. If families want to sit together they should pay for the privilege like the rest of us.
The crux of the problem is that the general public doesn't think it's unreasonable to ensure that families can sit together for free, nor do they see it as a privilege (it's not - it's too reasonable to be considered a privilege).

The easiest way to get public support for regulation is by monetizing services that cost $0. Or better yet, by describing something reasonable and basic as a privilege. Politicians only wander into these issues when they sense an opportunity to benefit from growing public antipathy. Which the media is happily fanning.

It is one thing to seek a profit. It is quite another to seek a profit by manufacturing problems that don't exist and forcing people to pay more to resolve them.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by canolakid
Depending on time of booking, fare class and travellers FF status, there may be no seats 'left' to choose unless pay up to E+. Still leads to 'can you switch seats so we can sit together' issues.
I did say it still can happen on mainline airlines too for the reason you outline but less likely than on AC. And I expect it can still happen on AC international flights too but again less likely since they let passengers pick their seats ahead of time for free.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/160429_1.html

Travelling with Children

April 29, 2016

At Air Canada, our intent is to always seat children with a parent or guardian. For this reason, we offer complimentary seat assignment for parents/guardians and children under the age of 12 who are travelling together*.

In order to ease the travel experience for our young passengers and their parent or guardian, we ask that you inform the Air Canada agent or your travel agent at time of booking that you are travelling with children under the age of 12.

If you’ve already completed your reservation, you can go to the Manage My Bookings tab within 36 hours of completing your booking to confirm that your child has automatically been seated with a parent or guardian. Alternatively, please contact Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent to make the necessary changes.

In the event that adjacent seating cannot be arranged, Air Canada will offer other flight options or a full refund.

* Applies to all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada rouge.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
How is screwing over single travellers or couples who pay for seat selection a "compromise?"

Families aren't special. If families want to sit together they should pay for the privilege like the rest of us.
You are missing that most don't need to pay if you are on your own. There is no one you need to sit beside.

Again though AC wants the extra revenue for a no cost service and so boo hoo they get negative press over it. And the policy upsets other passengers and stresses FA. It seems AC says it is worth it for the extra profit.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by tcook052

Travelling with Children

April 29, 2016

At Air Canada, our intent is to always seat children with a parent or guardian. For this reason, we offer complimentary seat assignment for parents/guardians and children under the age of 12 who are travelling together*.

In order to ease the travel experience for our young passengers and their parent or guardian, we ask that you inform the Air Canada agent or your travel agent at time of booking that you are travelling with children under the age of 12.

If you’ve already completed your reservation, you can go to the Manage My Bookings tab within 36 hours of completing your booking to confirm that your child has automatically been seated with a parent or guardian. Alternatively, please contact Air Canada Reservations or your travel agent to make the necessary changes.

In the event that adjacent seating cannot be arranged, Air Canada will offer other flight options or a full refund.

* Applies to all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada rouge.
...but now they're discriminating against single people and couples :P .

Kudos to AC on it's reasonable accommodation approach.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by yulred
It is one thing to seek a profit. It is quite another to seek a profit by manufacturing problems that don't exist and forcing people to pay more to resolve them.
Exactly. If AC wants the extra profit then expect the problems. And if you want to fly a low cost airline then expect to see these problems more often then on a mainline airline.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heck ,separate the adults from children. Let passengers at 20-AC deal with the unhappy 3 year old at 20B for a 3 hour flight while AC delivers me red wine at 12C and I can enjoy a relatively peaceful flight
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
So I guess AC will have to extend this policy to passengers such as the handicapped or seniors for instance. Some have mobility (as well as other) issues and as such should be seated with their travelling partner. I guess the safety issue for children will keep them out of the business class cabins that have pods. There is no way a parent can keep an eye on them and look after them if the seat belt sign is on or in an emergency situation.
Notice that the AC release states "with a parent or guardian". So this new policy does not mean *both* parents get free seat assignment. I think reserving the last two rows of the aircraft for "families" is a good suggestion
AFAIK AC could have always sat a parent beside a child because seat assignments are not guaranteed unless they are bought. I would think most Tango passengers book their assignment when it's free in the last 24 hours.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052

Travelling with Children

April 29, 2016

So, I guess this is a new policy, otherwise this thread probably wouldn't exist. Well done ^
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
...... I think reserving the last two rows of the aircraft for "families" is a good suggestion
AFAIK AC could have always sat a parent beside a child because seat assignments are not guaranteed unless they are bought. I would think most Tango passengers book their assignment when it's free in the last 24 hours.
Seat assignments are not guaranteed even when purchased.
Mrs.acysb87 and I have been separated often by a/c change. i.e. our recent BGI/YYZ flight was a B763 ,substituted a A321. We were seated 4HK and new seat assignments were 1A and 2A. I noted the aircraft change and went on-line and secured 3D-F. These were the only 2 seats left where we could pick seats together,BTW
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Question: if, hypothetically, I pay for my aisle seat, and if I take pity on a family and agree to swap seats, does AC refund the seat selection fee? How does one verify the swap to make the claim?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
ACY, that has happened to us but because I don't trust AC I check my reservations frequently and caught the equipment change and the flight number changes. That is an deficiency in computer programming (if the two tickets were on the same PNR) or indifference on AC's part. There is no reason why a computer should not be able to assign seats together on the same PNR if they were together in the original reservation with preference given according to date of purchase or date of assignment. Of course AC could also send out an email like they do for itin change and advise you to choose new assignment.
ACY do you both have window listed as seat preference?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Northern Canuck
So I guess AC will have to extend this policy to passengers such as the handicapped or seniors for instance. Some have mobility (as well as other) issues and as such should be seated with their travelling partner. I guess the safety issue for children will keep them out of the business class cabins that have pods. There is no way a parent can keep an eye on them and look after them if the seat belt sign is on or in an emergency situation.
Notice that the AC release states "with a parent or guardian". So this new policy does not mean *both* parents get free seat assignment. I think reserving the last two rows of the aircraft for "families" is a good suggestion
I find it interesting that most of the posts want to push these people to the back (literally) of the plane and some are finding excuses to also push them out of the J cabin.

There should be pairs of seats made available throughout the Y cabin for parents and children (not just throw them to the back of the bus). As for business, why can't kids be there? Badly behaving ones, yes, their parents should be responsible for them (especially in J) and manage them, but a lot of children can also do well in J (as we've seen scattered throughout FT). In my case, I have a nephew who I know should not be in J as he's a cranky flyer... but when my brother and I were much younger, all we really wanted was a place to lie down and sleep over TPAC. My brother would hardly speak a word over the 16 hours it would take to get to HKG (Well, the old HKIA). If we had (and could afford) the lie flats, you would not have heard a peep from him at all.

Keep in mind that having parents seated beside their children doesn't guarantee that the child will behave or that the parent(s) will be able to manage them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.