Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transport Minister urges airlines to stop separating parents, children

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Perhaps your posts above can be added to your epic thread.

The AC Contract Translated into Plain English

Originally Posted by Sopwith

SEAT SELECTION

Getting back to the web site, once you have completed your ticket purchase, we may offer you the opportunity to select a seat on the more expensive fare classes, or on the cheap tickets you may purchase the opportunity to select a seat. Even on the more expensive tickets, the good or really good seats will cost you even more. Either way, you will pay for the privilege of advance seat selection.

Most of the time you will get to sit in the seat you selected. Sometimes, however, for Operational Reasons we may not let you sit in the seat you selected and paid for. We can change your seat at any time to any other seat except the crew’s. Sometimes we will tell you about it ahead of time. You can change seats if and when you want until you check in, but only if the seat you select is presently unoccupied. If we bump you out of a really good seat we will eventually refund the seat fee. If you change out of a really good seat, you forfeit the seat fee. You should be aware that if we bump you out of your chosen seat and give it to someone else that’s okay, but we generally won’t bump that someone else out of their chosen seat to give it back to you. Even though you paid for the seat and they didn’t.

Another interesting situation that arises from time to time occurs when some passengers purchase a particular seat, but families travelling with young children don’t because they’re too cheap. In these circumstances we may need to move someone who paid for a specific seat into a less specific seat to accommodate these cheapskates. We don’t like doing that, but if we resist it inevitably generates a flurry of bad PR, so we acquiesce. (See Definitions, Operational Reasons).

Remember that we allowed you to see the available seats on your flight, so you could make an informed decision on which flight to purchase, based in part on which seats are available? Remember also what we said about aircraft changes? When we do this, the seat selections can get really screwed up, especially if the new aircraft is smaller than the one we advertised. In these circumstances, all bets are off and you’ll sit where we tell you. There will be no change in fare. Even though you paid extra for a certain type of aircraft and seat.

Finally, it is essential for you to understand that for operational reasons we may change the rules at any time. However, you may not change the rules, ever.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by 24left
Perhaps your posts above can be added to your epic thread.

The AC Contract Translated into Plain English

Yes, I was thinking about that. It needs an update anyway. Maybe after Son of Aeroplan is announced.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Where can I complain to site staff about necro-ing a thread? I got referred here direct from a front page story. This isn't the worst thread resurrection I have ever seen, but it's pretty bad...

...and worse is that it feels like the story author didn't read the thread, though it also might say something that nobody has commented here in the week since the article was posted.

(Story link: https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/s...-children.html )
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Originally Posted by Badenoch
How is screwing over single travellers or couples who pay for seat selection a "compromise?"
Families aren't special. If families want to sit together they should pay for the privilege like the rest of us.
Absolutely. It's the responsibility of the parents to arrange seating arrangements, rather than to expect special treatment, especially with budget airlines. Nobody is forcing them to fly.

A couple of years ago, I was on a flight when the outraged father didn't stop loudly complaining about this. In the end my partner and I agreed to split up and change seats just to shut him up and be allowed a peaceful flight.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:01 am

Just by reading your comments I bet none of you wants to be saddled with a child that isn’t your own anyway. Then guess what I have had the sad opportunity to see just how some of you FFiers react when the s**** hits the fan and I sure as hell wouldn’t trust most of you to look out for the small child next to you that isn’t yours when that happens. Yes thankfully it doesn’t happen all to often but sadly it does.

However it should be unlawful for airlines to split families especially young children from parents. Yes charge a SMALL!!!!! Fee (5-10 dollars) for it and make it mandatory for children under 10 years.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by glazfolk
Absolutely. It's the responsibility of the parents to arrange seating arrangements, rather than to expect special treatment, especially with budget airlines. Nobody is forcing them to fly.

A couple of years ago, I was on a flight when the outraged father didn't stop loudly complaining about this. In the end my partner and I agreed to split up and change seats just to shut him up and be allowed a peaceful flight.
Completely disgree wirh this. Have you ever tried flying with (your own) child? Have you considered how complicated it is when your child is seated separately from you, both from your point of view (angst) and your child’s (boredom)? This sort of perspective is the typical attitude of travellers who haven’t had a child to travel with.

The only airline I’ve ever flown with that takes this seriously is Aeroflot. The lady at checkin saw the seat assignments and almost panicked - “y’all seated separately!!”, she said. “One second, I can’t seat _all_ of you together, but I will seat the mom with the child, let me move this person here.”

There’s a reason it says seat assignments aren’t guaranteed. If I’m flying alone, would I be unhappy if my window seat was swapped for a middle seat because of a family? Sure! Would I understand it? Absolutely.

I still prefer Aeroflot’s approach (not the whole family - just one parent with the kid) but I entirely agree kids should sit with parents - for free, dammit (try raising some kids - consider the cost - the $5 seat being given for free is a welcome respite) - end of story.

[edit] also, seriously? Nobody’s forcing them to fly? What sort of entitled attitude is that? Families are just as entitled to fly as you are, and to question their “entitledness” is an extremely entitled position to begin with.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:15 am

I could not agree with you more on this subject. If you travel with a family, then for goodness sake act as responsible adults and pay to have allocated seats together.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by philkirk99
I could not agree with you more on this subject. If you travel with a family, then for goodness sake act as responsible adults and pay to have allocated seats together.
The problem is that it’s not always possible. Have you ever tried buying seats close to departure? Guess how easy it is to get sears together? It isn’t.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by philkirk99
the problem is that a good portion of the population are not frequent fliers familiar with all the ins and outs of fare rules and add-ons. If you ask most people, I bet they’d expect that an airline would seat a family together so they may not have thought to have pre-paid for seat selection. With that in mind, what’s better, to stick to a hard rule, require advance seat selection payment and deal with the aftermath of distressed kids sitting by themselves next to who knows who, or accept that it’s just easier for everyone to sit families together by default?

Frankly if I were an airline I’d do this just from a liability perspective. A minor on-board is in the adult’s care which becomes a difficult line to take it they’re physically separated.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Can I just remind everyone that AC does offer free seat selection to families with children? The policy is clearly spelled out on the page about travelling with children, and if you go to select seats while making a booking with a child on the reservation, it will display a warning that "You can select your seats now or let us assign adjacent seating at no extra charge that will ensure children under 14 are seated adjacent to an adult in your party." The argument in the last few posts seems moot in light of AC's actual policy.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Where can I complain to site staff about necro-ing a thread? I got referred here direct from a front page story. This isn't the worst thread resurrection I have ever seen, but it's pretty bad...

...and worse is that it feels like the story author didn't read the thread, though it also might say something that nobody has commented here in the week since the article was posted.
@GrayAnderson, I think that's something you should be contacting the author or someone from the news portion of the site about, rather than posting here. After all, you're the one who brought the thread back to life by posting in it
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glazfolk

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Completely disgree wirh this. Have you ever tried flying with (your own) child? Have you considered how complicated it is when your child is seated separately from you, both from your point of view (angst) and your child’s (boredom)? This sort of perspective is the typical attitude of travellers who haven’t had a child to travel with.
Originally Posted by colombianbrew
the problem is that a good portion of the population are not frequent fliers familiar with all the ins and outs of fare rules and add-ons. If you ask most people, I bet they’d expect that an airline would seat a family together so they may not have thought to have pre-paid for seat selection. With that in mind, what’s better, to stick to a hard rule, require advance seat selection payment and deal with the aftermath of distressed kids sitting by themselves next to who knows who, or accept that it’s just easier for everyone to sit families together by default?

Frankly if I were an airline I’d do this just from a liability perspective. A minor on-board is in the adult’s care which becomes a difficult line to take it they’re physically separated.

You guys are funny...

Actually AC has not been charging for seat assignments for families in years. So all that talk is obsolete.

While there have been a few horror stories in the press more recently, it is hard to blame AC for them.

By and large these have consisted of cases where the parents did not avail themselves with the opportunity to have seats assigned for free for the family when they booked. Or their TA did not tell them and/or did not take advantage of AC's policy.

However the most publicised scenario involving families and children was even more funny. Not a case of seating but of bumping a child. For some reason (likely price-related - this is from memory), the family booked one child separately, as an adult. Without paying for seat assignment. lowest fare. Which made the child high priority for getting bumped... went to the press but forgot to mention they had booked him as an adult.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
You guys are funny...

Actually AC has not been charging for seat assignments for families in years. So all that talk is obsolete.

While there have been a few horror stories in the press more recently, it is hard to blame AC for them.

By and large these have consisted of cases where the parents did not avail themselves with the opportunity to have seats assigned for free for the family when they booked. Or their TA did not tell them and/or did not take advantage of AC's policy.

However the most publicised scenario involving families and children was even more funny. Not a case of seating but of bumping a child. For some reason (likely price-related - this is from memory), the family booked one child separately, as an adult. Without paying for seat assignment. lowest fare. Which made the child high priority for getting bumped... went to the press but forgot to mention they had booked him as an adult.
AC is a lot of things, mind readers they are not. If you identity as a family, you get free seat assignment. If you identity as a child you get special treatment. If you identify as a solo adult, you get treated as such.
Stranger and Twickenham like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC is a lot of things, mind readers they are not. If you identity as a family, you get free seat assignment. If you identity as a child you get special treatment. If you identify as a solo adult, you get treated as such.
Because solo adults deserve to be stranded overnight, sleeping on an airport floor?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because solo adults deserve to be stranded overnight, sleeping on an airport floor?
Vs a UM? Well, the UM deserves to be taken care of. The adult suffering is their choice.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Vs a UM? Well, the UM deserves to be taken care of. The adult suffering is their choice.
It's their choice to have a confirmed seat and be denied boarding because the airline overbooked the flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.