Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important changes to the Aeroplan program (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important changes to the Aeroplan program (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
That's very odd, considering they are already so high.

Singapore and Thailand got moved to Asia 2 which sucks!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:08 pm

Europe F is 140k instead of 125k!
Europe J is 110k instead of 90k!

This was a sweet spot for us west coasters! I'm going to have to pre-book some rewards for next summer.

Last edited by philelite; Sep 25, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:09 pm

Anyone know if awards booked prior to December 15th can be changed after without having to pay the increase? I assume yes however I cannot find any info on this on the Aeroplan site....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
And of course, Aeroplan.com is down for me so I can't even read the news release. Sigh.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Anyone know if awards booked prior to December 15th can be changed after without having to pay the increase? I assume yes however I cannot find any info on this on the Aeroplan site....
Yes, I can speak from experience. I booked Asia 1 travel to Thailand just before the last devaluation. After the devaluation, I called I make several changes including adding a layover city and changing dates. No increase in points!

The key is that you can't change the start/end regions (and perhaps the destination city).

I'm thinking for next summer I will try to book a random F ticket to Europe and then make changes to the ticket after Dec 15. Worst case I'll be out $75.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by philelite
Yes, I can speak from experience. I booked Asia 1 travel to Thailand just before the last devaluation. After the devaluation, I called I make several changes including adding a layover city and changing dates. No increase in points!

The key is that you can't change the start/end regions (and perhaps the destination city).

I'm thinking for next summer I will try to book a random F ticket to Europe and then make changes to the ticket after Dec 15. Worst case I'll be out $75.
Thanks for the data point. Looking to lock in some Asia 1/Europe 1 awards
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Sounds like a plan. I should book something too.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:15 pm

For Europe I would lock in UA F on one leg. If necessary a non-YQ J on the other. Switch outbound to LH F when it opens around 14 out. Change return to LH F once started to avoid YQ.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:27 pm

I think your case is an exception or they simply forgot, I wouldn't take it as the normal (which is to re-calculate MILES and CHARGES before first flight, so my take is new miles will kick in if one changes AFTER Dec 15)

Also, it'll be $90+tax to change or cancel..not just $75
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Goons! but it has been in the cards since the market got absolutely flooded with "premium" cards and programs! Pecunia non olet!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:52 pm

After the last devaluation to Australia (135-160), we changed flights 2 times, neither time were we charged additional points (got net refunds both times). We even changed the origin from SEA to YYZ to do the TATL milk run to SYD

SEA-NRT-AKL, SYD-YVR-SEA (~1k YQ)
YYZ-CAI-KUL (stop)-BKK-AKL (stop)-SYD (stop)-YVR (~700 YQ)
YYZ-CAI-KUL (stop)-BKK-AKL (stop)-SYD (stop)-LAX-YVR-YYZ (~400 YQ)

Last edited by crimsona; Sep 25, 2015 at 7:07 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Well, they effectively trashed Asia.... by increasing economy by 100% and business by 266%

I routinely keep about 100k aeroplan miles to traverse asia; I guess I'll be dumping the miles in favor of Oneworld.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
Pecunia non olet!
Nice
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
After the last devaluation to Australia (135-160), we changed flights 2 times, neither time were we charged additional points (got net refunds both times). We even changed the origin from SEA to YYZ to do the TATL milk run to SYD

SEA-NRT-AKL, SYD-YVR-SEA (~1k YQ)
YYZ-CAI-KUL (stop)-BKK-AKL (stop)-SYD (stop)-YVR (~700 YQ)
YYZ-CAI-KUL (stop)-BKK-AKL (stop)-SYD (stop)-LAX-YVR-YYZ (~400 YQ)
Good to hear it sometimes works in our favour!!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
So will they update the website so we can actually book the one ways intra-regions or will we still have to call in and be charged? You can't book HNL to NRT. Also with the increases will the YQs go down?

Maybe all the recent American travel/points blogs made aeroplan more popular and therefore more people using them or transferring to them.

I also wonder how much a miniRTW is going to be now via Asia/Australia. It used to be 180K for one person in J/F currently 210/220 and after Dec?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.