Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important changes to the Aeroplan program (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Important changes to the Aeroplan program (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:04 pm

So thats a negative... it will be recharged at 55k.. even if its the same award and routing. Right?
Old May 2, 2016, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I have a slightly different question than some of the above regarding re-booking of pre-December 15th awards.

My friend went to Italy (Europe 1) on an AE J reward last September. He was injured on the trip and had to buy a revenue ticket to get home, cancelling the return portion of his AE booking. That left him with a credit for a one-way Europe 1 > NA ticket.

He is now trying to re-book this as LHR-YYC, so still Europe 1 > NA. Obviously he'll have to pay any difference in taxes (hello UK APD), but AE wants to charge him the extra 10K points on top of that.

That doesn't seem right to me. Should I tell him to HUCA? He isn't very experienced with AE and has only called once. Or is he SOL and just has to pay the extra points?
Old May 2, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by adam.smith
I have a slightly different question than some of the above regarding re-booking of pre-December 15th awards.

My friend went to Italy (Europe 1) on an AE J reward last September. He was injured on the trip and had to buy a revenue ticket to get home, cancelling the return portion of his AE booking. That left him with a credit for a one-way Europe 1 > NA ticket.

He is now trying to re-book this as LHR-YYC, so still Europe 1 > NA. Obviously he'll have to pay any difference in taxes (hello UK APD), but AE wants to charge him the extra 10K points on top of that.

That doesn't seem right to me. Should I tell him to HUCA? He isn't very experienced with AE and has only called once. Or is he SOL and just has to pay the extra points?
If he changed the ticket to a future date, there should be no additional points required. If he cancelled the flight, it is my understanding that he will require another 10K points, because he is booking a 1 way trip.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
If he changed the ticket to a future date, there should be no additional points required. If he cancelled the flight, it is my understanding that he will require another 10K points, because he is booking a 1 way trip.
At the time, he cancelled the return trip. But my understanding was that when you did that, you had half a return ticket left, such that when you eventually go to re-book it, you're just using your half ticket, not making a new one-way booking. If it were the same as a new one-way booking, then he should be able to rebook it, cancel it and refund the points, but they don't let you do that.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: *void
At the time, he cancelled the return trip. But my understanding was that when you did that, you had half a return ticket left, such that when you eventually go to re-book it, you're just using your half ticket, not making a new one-way booking. If it were the same as a new one-way booking, then he should be able to rebook it, cancel it and refund the points, but they don't let you do that.
Well, since people are reporting that they are being charged the HIGHER points requirement, even without cancelling and just rebooking to new dates of travel, I think it's pretty much inline with what your friend should expect, unfortunately. Do I agree with it? No. But, the best your friend can hope to do is HUACA, over and over till they can find an agent that may be willing to book without asking for more points...doesn't look likely though.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Well, since people are reporting that they are being charged the HIGHER points requirement, even without cancelling and just rebooking to new dates of travel, I think it's pretty much inline with what your friend should expect, unfortunately. Do I agree with it? No. But, the best your friend can hope to do is HUACA, over and over till they can find an agent that may be willing to book without asking for more points...doesn't look likely though.
People have reported mixed experiences upthread, although I agree they lean towards being charged the extra points.

But as far as I can tell, all of the people reporting experiences above are changing entire tickets, rather than changing the on-hold second half of a cancelled return itinerary and I'm trying to see whether anyone has experience with that specific situation.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:31 pm

People have reported mixed experiences upthread, although I agree they lean towards being charged the extra points.

But as far as I can tell, all of the people reporting experiences above are changing entire tickets, rather than changing the on-hold second half of a cancelled return itinerary and I'm trying to see whether anyone has experience with that specific situation.
But your friend is also changing direction, origination and destination of travel.

Your friend has already used Canada to Europe 1, what is left is Europe 1 to Canada. Your friend is now booking a flight from Canada to Europe 1.

Not sure if that is a factor.

Last edited by Clipper801; May 2, 2016 at 6:47 pm
Old May 3, 2016, 6:49 pm

It doesn't look hopeful having read through this thread, but...

Has anyone had success changing origin and destination within the same zone(s) without incurring additional miles? If so, could you share your magic?

I'm trying to change a North America - Europe 1 reward with an adjustment to the departure/return city.

Last edited by gateguard0; May 3, 2016 at 6:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 3, 2016, 9:15 pm

Same for me. Does anyone have a print screen of the rules? I saw these rules somewhere last December, and I remember it was pretty clear, at least to me, that only a zone change would require more miles.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Titanium HSBC INFINITE SQ Gold
I miss AC's 30K miles for round trip business class in Asia

I miss AC's 30K miles for round trip business class in Asia

any other airlines offer round trip business class for flights over 4 hours which cost less than 50K miles

thank you a lot
Old May 4, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: TK *G
Also those 50K F class round trip in Asia 1, 90K J or 120K F round trip from Asia 1 to Oceania...

But anyway, I still see some redemption can work out with good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.