Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Soccertom919
Still at $845 with 13 hours to go.

im going to test the counter tomorrow.

when I look at the upgrade list it says:

capacity 40, booked 37 and checked in 14.

what does this mean??
40 seats in J (business class). 37 booked for that cabin, and 14 have checked in for that cabin.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada
Does this mean there is still only 3 unsold seats left??

Therefore the odds of the price going down is fairly slim?

thank you again.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC

thank you again.
It is safe to say the odds of the price going down is slim to none. If you're going to LMU, I'd do it now.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC 75K

thank you again.
If you want it, pull the trigger, There isn’t going to be a 50% off Boxing Day sale here.

No offense to the OP, but this mentality intrigues me. There is a long history of LMU prices in this forum for HKG. Even if the price went down, we’re talking maybe $50. Is that hypothetical savings worth potentially losing out?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
YYC-YVR $139 Yesterday

YVR-YYC $139 Today

declined both and burned e-ups last minute.

Considering if I flew tango I'd pay $100 Co pay plus e ups, the $139 is pretty good value for non status probably
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC*E35
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

If you want it, pull the trigger, There isn’t going to be a 50% off Boxing Day sale here.

No offense to the OP, but this mentality intrigues me. There is a long history of LMU prices in this forum for HKG. Even if the price went down, we’re talking maybe $50. Is that hypothetical savings worth potentially losing out?
when you think about it though, $845 is not insignificant.

Considering he orobably paid around $2000 for PE.
Then if you normalize it for round trip then you're talking about $1700 extra. So now your total fare is $3700 for J roundtrip. While not out of this world, it's not a steal either. I think the psychological difference of being one way works in air Canada's favour on last minute upgrades.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:53 pm

For LMU's I used to think that way, calculating fare differences and really seeing if it's better buying J, hoping for an LMU discount, E-up/tango co pay options, and all sort of things when I cared about flying J only with AC. Literally drove me mental.

Now I just book Y if it's convenient and I accept LMU's if I want to fly J and feel like it's ok value(under $75/h ish). Don't even think about it until the day of. If I regret my booking in Y(which I did a few times this year TATL), I just call in and upgrade.

So much less stress!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by SKYEG
YYC-YVR $139 Yesterday

YVR-YYC $139 Today

declined both and burned e-ups last minute.

Considering if I flew tango I'd pay $100 Co pay plus e ups, the $139 is pretty good value for non status probably
$139 from low Flex but one of the non copay fares I assume?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:36 am

Sorry yes W fare code flex I keep forgetting that this is important to add.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: AC 100k, Star Alliance Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Westjet Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Had a really weird one a few weeks ago:

SJD - YYC

The seat map showed only 1 of 14 seats in J was booked, but when I went to check-in, no upgrades were offered. I asked the gate agent if there were any upgrades available, and he said that he could upgrade me for $50.00 USD but had to be cash only. When he noticed my old BP showed me as SE, he said that since I was 100k, it would only be $25.00 but once again, had to be cash. Also said he didn't have a printer at the gate, so simply scribbled my new seat on the BP and off I went. I can only presume that the contract gate agent was pocketing the cash, but that still doesn't explain why upgrades weren't offered online.

Any insight?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by luckylager

SJD - YYC

The seat map showed only 1 of 14 seats in J was booked, but when I went to check-in, no upgrades were offered. I asked the gate agent if there were any upgrades available, and he said that he could upgrade me for $50.00 USD but had to be cash only. When he noticed my old BP showed me as SE, he said that since I was 100k, it would only be $25.00 but once again, had to be cash. Also said he didn't have a printer at the gate, so simply scribbled my new seat on the BP and off I went. I can only presume that the contract gate agent was pocketing the cash, but that still doesn't explain why upgrades weren't offered online.

Any insight?
The seat map doesn't mean anything. Plenty of people don't have a seat assigned until they check in. The app's upgrade list is the best way for you to check actual loads in J.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

SJD - YYC

Any insight?
aside from ACMM code on your BP, did it have a ML code?
did you check your eUp account to see if any credits were deducted?

and yes, this is a weird one... although not totally surprising I guess.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:46 pm

SJD - YYC

Any insight?

Nice that your status was recognized.

I thought AC was credit card only, or do they still take cash at the airport?
I definitely think the cash was going into the agents pocket.
Maybe op ups were going to be given anyways and this was the agents way of giving them out.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Was a receipt for the cash "payment" provided?

Something tells me the answer is... no.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:34 am

you should report the SJD agent to air canada and see what they have to say about it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.