Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
Same offers still showing, still unable to purchase the PE upgrade.

Seat map shows one available PE seat (14F) - so I'm actually thankful it didn't end up processing. I'm in an exit row aisle, so a move to PE middle seat might be a "slight" downgrade. Anyway, it's a 6.5hr TATL, no big deal.
Not sure if you are familiar, but while the middle seat isn't ideal for getting out; but the armrest isn't an issue in PY. You get a decent buffer. This is only a bad thing when the cabin is empty you can't just raise the arm rests. But at least it's not HD.

This does raise an interesting point though, I feel AC should be more open with advertising what the seat selection(s) are. I guess that might risk losing money though.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by jantaoYVR
For mileage accrual it's the originally booked fare class - so in your case A for accrual
I assume that goes for both LMUs and Bid Upgrade? So the only way to get the business class amount of miles is if i booked business from the get go?
Old May 24, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AC; Fairmont Plat; Accor Plat; SPG Plat, BA Gold; A3*G; AB Gold;
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
I assume that goes for both LMUs and Bid Upgrade? So the only way to get the business class amount of miles is if i booked business from the get go?
That's correct
Old May 24, 2017, 6:30 am

You can phone in and pay up (up fare).

That's the only official way. In revookings based on IRROPs strange things can though should not occur.

eUp, LMU and (according to AC) bidding all leave mileage accrual alone.

Last edited by jc94; May 24, 2017 at 6:32 am Reason: grammar
Old May 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by jc94
Not sure if you are familiar, but while the middle seat isn't ideal for getting out; but the armrest isn't an issue in PY. You get a decent buffer. This is only a bad thing when the cabin is empty you can't just raise the arm rests. But at least it's not HD.

This does raise an interesting point though, I feel AC should be more open with advertising what the seat selection(s) are. I guess that might risk losing money though.
Ok thanks. That's weird, with Lufthansa you get the P fare amount of miles when you upgrade via upgrade offer. Or maybe LH is a positive exception.

The upgrade bid pricing (and I assume the LMU won't be drastically less) starting at 400CAD for my flight from YUL to YYC seems even more extreme then. No extra miles, no pod/flat bed (since it's a A321 and as such has the "domestic first" type seat) and a meal that I can purchase seperately for 15CAD in economy. Seems like very bad value to me (especcially considering 400CAD is the lowest offer end, with 1200CAD being highest).

Last edited by ArnoldB; May 24, 2017 at 7:16 am
Old May 24, 2017, 7:23 am

Ok thanks. That's weird, with Lufthansa you get the P fare amount of miles when you upgrade via upgrade offer. Or maybe LH is a positive exception.

The upgrade bid pricing (and I assume the LMU won't be drastically less) starting at 400CAD for my flight from YUL to YYC seems even more extreme then. No extra miles, no pod/flat bed (since it's a A321 and as such has the "domestic first" type seat) and a meal that I can purchase seperately for 15CAD in economy. Seems like very bad value to me (especcially considering 400CAD is the lowest offer end, with 1200CAD being highest).
Can't personally comment on LH.

Bidding is, from what I've read and seen very bad offers. But LMU varies on seats, a bid gives you a higher chance as they clear around t-96.

LMU could be you thousands if J is short. Or not even available. But it could be less than $400, plus tax.

J Dom meals are better than BoB for a 3h flight, imho. Plus free alcohol?
Old May 24, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ok thanks. That's weird, with Lufthansa you get the P fare amount of miles when you upgrade via upgrade offer. Or maybe LH is a positive exception.....
I posted this in the AC bid thread, noting that LH does, but AC does not offer the COS AQM for either LMU or Bid Upgrade

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28329956-post318.html
Old May 25, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: AP
Here's an interesting one:
APR 18th supposed to fly AC865 LHR-YUL. A333 went tango uniform due to a missing wheel on the main gear upon arrival (lol). Rescheduled on AC859 LHR-YYZ B788. LMU from Y tango to J $4974.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by 346fetish
Here's an interesting one:
APR 18th supposed to fly AC865 LHR-YUL. A333 went tango uniform due to a missing wheel on the main gear upon arrival (lol). Rescheduled on AC859 LHR-YYZ B788. LMU from Y tango to J $4974.
Yeah odds are its J1R0. Seen this a few times. Someone will get a waitlisted eUp clear at the gate Or it'll go empty.

Makes zero sense to me offering those prices. Full J in that route is about $6k, so doing this saves maybe $400... For which you get 150% miles and it's fully refundable. They can't really get takers (can they?) whereas as even 1500 someone might cough under and it doesn't cost that much to provide J service over Y?

I don't think I've ever seen a middle LMU. It's either $1k (+/- $500) or $5k. No $3k? Feel free to search me wrong.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Yeah odds are its J1R0. Seen this a few times. Someone will get a waitlisted eUp clear at the gate Or it'll go empty.

Makes zero sense to me offering those prices. Full J in that route is about $6k, so doing this saves maybe $400... For which you get 150% miles and it's fully refundable. They can't really get takers (can they?) whereas as even 1500 someone might cough under and it doesn't cost that much to provide J service over Y?

I don't think I've ever seen a middle LMU. It's either $1k (+/- $500) or $5k. No $3k? Feel free to search me wrong.
I have a friend who has to buy the cheapest ticket but is allowed to LMU... although for that price he might get a talking to even if he followed the rules.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: E35k
I'm flying from AMS -> YYZ tomorrow afternoon (T-23) and there are no LMU offers on check it.

Is there any chance upgrades will be available closer to departure? Should I check in anyway or does that prevent any chance of an upgrade?

I'm dreading 8+ hours in Y
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by J.L.C.
I'm flying from AMS -> YYZ tomorrow afternoon (T-23) and there are no LMU offers on check it.

Is there any chance upgrades will be available closer to departure? Should I check in anyway or does that prevent any chance of an upgrade?

I'm dreading 8+ hours in Y
Maybe go through the check-in process again? EF for tomorrow's AC 825 shows:

J8 C8 D8 Z8 P0 R4 O0 E0 N0 Y2 B2 M2 U2 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0

Looks like Y may be overbooked so they may look at moving people from Y to J.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:28 am

Even if J is full there's still a chance something will open up, but it's unlikely and would be very expensive. But as mentioned from EF there is space, and the upgrade list assuming it's 825 shows 8 spaces in J with no one waiting for an upgrade. It shows Y and PY full.

if they're overbooked by 8 or more, I can see them not offering LMU (yet) though. Check in again, you can even check again at the airport to see what the options are.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: E35k
Originally Posted by Canibus
Maybe go through the check-in process again? EF for tomorrow's AC 825 shows:

J8 C8 D8 Z8 P0 R4 O0 E0 N0 Y2 B2 M2 U2 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0

Looks like Y may be overbooked so they may look at moving people from Y to J.
Is it safe to cancel my check in and then do it over again? Y sucks, but getting bumped would be much worse!

Last edited by J.L.C.; Jun 21, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by J.L.C.
Is it safe to cancel my check in and the do it over again? Y sucks, but getting bumped would be much worse!
Don't think you need to cancel and re-check in, I think you can just go through the flow without cancelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.