Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by berry0622
Hi,

I am trying to check in my grandparents from HKG-YYZ, hoping to do the LMU but the option wasn't given. Called in AC reservations and they said tango fares aren't eligible, but later then said if they go to the airport then they might be able to do it. What are my options now? Does the check in system change as you get closer to flight time?

Thanks in advance.
Someone is talking nonsense. There are hundreds of examples where people were offered LMU from Tango - it tends to be more costly than from other fares though. It's offered at T-24 OLCI if, and only if there are seats mind. Try booking the flight again through AC and check the PY/J seat map, if every seat is full that's why; even if there are a few free it could still be there are unselected spots, but gives you an idea.

A seat could open up closer too, if someone cancels their upgrade/ticket.
The other thing is, there could be one seat free and you may have two people on the booking; not sure if that makes a difference?

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I tried to upgrade a Tango traveller and at the airport they quoted me the buy-up to an eligible fare, then the upgrade could be processed. (I was using eUps but presumably that would also permit LMU.) I would not pay the amount unless the upgrade was guaranteed.
Your card is only charged for up-fare/LMU if the request goes through.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Someone is talking nonsense. There are hundreds of examples where people were offered LMU from Tango - it tends to be more costly than from other fares though. It's offered at T-24 OLCI if, and only if there are seats mind. Try booking the flight again through AC and check the PY/J seat map, if every seat is full that's why; even if there are a few free it could still be there are unselected spots, but gives you an idea.

A seat could open up closer too, if someone cancels their upgrade/ticket.
The other thing is, there could be one seat free and you may have two people on the booking; not sure if that makes a difference?

Your card is only charged for up-fare/LMU if the request goes through.
There were about 20+ seats free prior to my call to AC reservations this morning, and I just checked again, with 24 seats available. I'll try again later tonight, or I hope we can get it done at the airport.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:30 pm

There were about 20+ seats free prior to my call to AC reservations this morning, and I just checked again, with 24 seats available. I'll try again later tonight, or I hope we can get it done at the airport.
It certainly sounds like a combination of AC IT and poor phone support.

You can checkin multiple times including at airport. There should bean option there to change seats or upgrade, somewhere in the bottom right if on the website vs the app - but I've seen it offered via the app when it actually works before too. Only exception is when I'm already in the top available cabin.

With 20 seats open the price is likely decent... let us know.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I believe LMU from HKG is like those at HND/NRT: inquire at the airport and they pull out the binder.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:35 am

Update: was able to upgrade both of them at the airport, wasn't cheap (10,000HKD) but had to because of their age/health.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:44 am

Update: was able to upgrade both of them at the airport, wasn't cheap (10,000HKD) but had to because of their age/health.
Well it depends what you paid for Tango originally vs the J seats.

That route can Tango seats for $500 and J seats for $4000. So ~$1700, even each is still a big saving and keeps you out of the HD for the long flight - assuming it's the direct.

Sucks that you didn't get a good deal though, the ones over Christmas really do seem to have been a short lived present
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Checking in my dad for his flight tomorrow YYZ-SFO .... and OLCI has the "upgrade purchase" button .... C$917 seriously!?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by maradori
Checking in my dad for his flight tomorrow YYZ-SFO .... and OLCI has the "upgrade purchase" button .... C$917 seriously!?
if that's the 8am that's about the difference between an advanced purchased low flex and a P ticket so yeah, on par.

The later non pods are about $300 less though so depends if you bought tango or flex. From tango it's good
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Another reminder that this is the LMU discussion thread, not the thread to post the LMU you've been offered which is here:

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
AC832 YUL->BRU on Feb 18. $510 from PY to J. Was contemplating 21 credits plus copay but ultimately decided to stay in PY. Still, very good price.
isn't a TATL 21 credits + $500? So 21 credits = $10
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I have also seen situations where e up credits have negative value.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Yup (well 19 in my case since I used 2 on the domestic segment). I was considering it with credits as a chunk of them were expiring at the end of February anyway, but would have also had to burn 9 from next year. Pretty bad value either way considering the low cost of the LMU.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
AC832 YUL->BRU on Feb 18. $510 from PY to J. Was contemplating 21 credits plus copay but ultimately decided to stay in PY. Still, very good price.
I would have bit on that one.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:59 pm

Was J anywhere close to full? I'd be jumping at that for 7 hours overnight.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
As per the thread title "discussion" I've been noticing a large number of pax (compared to other routes) taking the LMU on the flights to DEL from YYZ leaving no upgrades available by the time it goes to gate. (does not impact me personally but I have noticed!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.