Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
LMU Cutoff?

Is there an LMU cutoff time? Here's the scenario.
Friend and I were travelling YYZ-YVR the other day....I had my eUp clear.
Friend has no-status and was willing to pay for an upgrade.

We approached the desk and a very kind and courteous GA said it would be $629ish CAD to upgrade to J, or we could wait until the flight closes to "gamble" and see if a comp-up would be possible (yes, I know these are rare but they do happen at times).
He also said he wasn't the GA for the upcoming flight and was just completing paperwork from the previous flight....no worries....we politely returned to the lounge.
She was travelling on a Tango fare and approached the desk asking for an upgrade (paid).

We returned to the gate about 5 minutes before boarding started.

The actual flight GA said it wasn't possible, even if she paid for it. I asked if she could kindly keep us in mind if there was still space after boarding....
The agent didn't say that J was full, however it was evident after boarding that mini-J was almost empty. Seems weird that AC would turn down that money?

We all flew our originally assign seats with no additional upgrades processed...etc.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:14 am

Last Minute Upgrade/ Group Booking

Hello,

My family are travelling LHR-YYC later this week and would like to upgrade to PE, there is availability on the flight at present. I understand this may be offered at OLCI, but my concern is that the booking is part of a tour group booking and currently the option to upgrade etc is not available. Would anyone know if this will change at T-24?

We're passing through the airport the previous evening, if no joy online is it worth asking at the customer service desk then? It would be within 24 hours but not on the day of flying.

I would assume calling reservations ahead of time will only get a very expensive offer, although I'm happy to try if people think that might help.

I did search for a similar question, and did find the upgrade costing thread, but didn't want to clog that up with questions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered!

(Thank you for moving me to the correct place )

Last edited by Copacabana44; Sep 11, 2016 at 10:37 am
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Nov 22
AC25 YVR-PVG from K to business for US$949. Should I take this?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Nov 22
AC25 YVR-PVG from K to business for US$949. Should I take this?
K is tango right? It's about average, but only you can decide if it's worth it to you. My considerations would be how much you originally paid, what you can afford and what your plans are when you arrive in PVG. Also what US$949 means to you, if you are paid in CAD for example that's close to $1300.

As one comparison, I imagine there's a much bigger difference between K and J fare on that route, buying in advance ($2100 diff looking at random dates next year).

It's also about C$110/hour.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:04 am

Last Minute Upgrade Question

Just purchased an LMU for a flight tomorrow. Would anyone be able to answer the following?

1, If I had previously purchased a preferred seat, will this fee be automatically refunded or do I have to request a refund?

2, With regards to baggage fees and weight, if flying business to the USA from Canada, are first two bags of a maximum 70lbs weight free? Since I bought an LMU, business baggage rules apply?

3, Is access to the MLL included?

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. Don't know
2. Yes
3. Yes
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
My understanding is that you're not entitled to a refund of the preferred seat fee. My memory is that the rules say that you're only entitled to a refund if air Canada is unable to honour the Seat reservation and since you're not sitting in the seat because of a change you mad, they'll just pocket the fee and hope someone else pays to book the seat you released.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC 25k
Originally Posted by BackSlash3
My understanding is that you're not entitled to a refund of the preferred seat fee. My memory is that the rules say that you're only entitled to a refund if air Canada is unable to honour the Seat reservation and since you're not sitting in the seat because of a change you mad, they'll just pocket the fee and hope someone else pays to book the seat you released.
You're entitled to a refund on a Preferred Seat if you eUpgrade so it should be the same for a LMU.

Preferred Seats are refundable in most cases where your butt isn't in that seat unless it's directly your fault (no show or if you change your seats selection to a standard seat).
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
You can get a refund for a preferred seat on a LMU. I have done so.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My friend on my SFO-YYZ flight just missed an upgrade (same flight companion thing) because an LMU was sold.

I need to go into airplane mode soon, and haven't fully thought through this, but as someone who can't even use my upgrades because I book J, it's extremely annoying that they'd take a couple hundred dollars over letting a SE upgrade a friend.

I'll think more about this though.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, AS MileagePlan, AirMiles Gold
YVR to YYZ in Flex, offered LMU to business.
T-24: $527
T-15: $527

Declined, happy enough with my $49 preferred seat.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
On the preferred seat, if it's not been refunded it won't be. eUp seat refunds are virtually instant.

But if you politely ask for it, they should honour it then.

I do wonder if LMU offers vary based on which type of seat one is in. Actual fare code doesn't always seem to make much of a difference!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I do wonder whether these (very) low LMUs are due to Christmas or whether AC is experimenting with lower LMU prices...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I wouldn't have thought there was a generally low Xmas LMU trend. Was offered LMU from M Flex FP YUL-MCO Dec 26 for about $450. I was waitlisted for eUp so did not even consider it, and as of T-12, there were 2 unsold J seats, but in the end got just one of two of us upgraded and all the J seats went out full.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Is it just me or has the average cost of LMUs decreased substantially?

When this started ~3 weeks ago, I thought it may be related to the holidays, but LMU prices have remained at the same low level since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.