Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
From O, E, or N?

PE has more than one fare class...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's $4 more than if you use eUps
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's $4 more than if you use eUps
O has no copay for any status.
SE pays no copay on E or N.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
From O, E, or N?

PE has more than one fare class...
This is in the other LMU discussion thread too :P Believe it Was N.
So eUps not an option as far as I'm aware.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jc94
This is in the other LMU discussion thread too :P Believe it Was N.
So eUps not an option as far as I'm aware.
Why eups not an option? They are always an option as long as you pony up the copay.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'd rather pay $754 than $750 plus 26 eUps or whatever it was.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I'd rather pay $754 than $750 plus 26 eUps or whatever it was.
On Dec 26, with 40 eups still in my account, I'll happily save the $4. Not many uses for eups for non SE100K folk. Batting 0 for 6 on domestic upgrades from flex this year.

The point, however, was that if someone wanted to drop $754 on an upgrade, they almost certainly would have already requested the eup 4, 5, or 6 days in advance (unless they had run out of credits). And AC should be happier to take the $750+eups rather than the $754. That's why the pricing does not make sense to me.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Why eups not an option? They are always an option as long as you pony up the copay.
Depends where you are going. Intl routes - as in anything with copay - block E/N along with lower flex ares unless you are E50k+

https://www.aircanada.com/en/aeropla...lculation.html
(I'd post a direct link but AC have it as a badly done modal window with lots of console errors).

You can only get a LMU, which tends to be cheaper from E/N than Y, but as we all know these figures rarely make consistent sense.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Depends where you are going. Intl routes - as in anything with copay - block E/N along with lower flex ares unless you are E50k+
Ah, right. I overlooked that OP is UA 1K, not AC*E. Still, AC offering LMUs to non-altitude members for (almost) less than the copay it asks from altitude members really puts a dent in the value of the program. Much like the argument of why AC should not offer $200 LMUs from tango, it also should not offer $750 T-pac LMUs from discount PE to non-altitude members. What is otherwise the incentive to achieve elite status?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
Not many uses for eups for non SE100K folk. Batting 0 for 6 on domestic upgrades from flex this year.
I think it depends on the routes. I am only P25K. Until this year I had E50K status, which was not great (but better than what I have now.)

Regardless, my eUp points for this year are just about gone. Last month I eUpped YYZ-YYJ, just like I did in January. I did YVR-YOW in December, eUpped.

My eUp history shows nine eUps in the past 24 months. It can happen, honest.

But this is of course a bit of a side note to the main discussion, which is LMUs. (In the past 24 months I have paid for at least half a dozen LMUs, or paid for J, and will continue to spend for them until the next meagre batch of eUps arrives in my account.)
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by DaveObee
I think it depends on the routes. I am only P25K. Until this year I had E50K status, which was not great (but better than what I have now.)

Regardless, my eUp points for this year are just about gone. Last month I
eUpped YYZ-YYJ, just like I did in January. I did YVR-YOW in December, eUpped.

My eUp history shows nine eUps in the past 24 months. It can happen, honest.

But this is of course a bit of a side note to the main discussion, which is LMUs. (In the past 24 months I have paid for at least half a dozen LMUs, or paid for J, and will continue to spend for them until the next meagre batch of eUps arrives in my account.)

I've been offered one eUp option (at OLCI), back in Jan just after my status cleared. 6 credits from AUS->YYZ. I had better plans for them so declined though in hindsight it might have been a good idea as IFE was broken and my remaining eligible (ie: non P/N) trips are apparently fewer credits than I thought.

Maybe we need a separate thread about eUp experiences. My only knowledge of success comes from CC's signature and posts like the above.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have only tried eUp from FP (M) on MCO-YYZ both ways and by buying within my eUp window, I have 100% success because I can see if it is available or not and choose my flight accordingly.

I didn't have enough eUps to try to eUp TPAC (plus there is the odious copay) plus I was in PY bulkhead and had a blocked-empty seat beside me westbound. I'm looking at burning some on an upcoming TATL (trying to decide which direction, if only one. I think conventional wisdom is eastbound but eastbound will be Rouge J, not pods; Westbound will be ML.)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Flying AC64 from ICN to YVR on July 18. Currently in PY (lowest). My TA quoted me $592 CAD pp (x2) to move to J. I think this is more or less the difference in cost at time of booking between PY and J.

From reading the thread this sounds like a good price. I'm guessing an LMU would be significantly higher, and 26 eups plus 750 co-pay is hardly worth it.

Is this a good deal?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Flying AC64 from ICN to YVR on July 18. Currently in PY (lowest). My TA quoted me $592 CAD pp (x2) to move to J. I think this is more or less the difference in cost at time of booking between PY and J.

From reading the thread this sounds like a good price. I'm guessing an LMU would be significantly higher, and 26 eups plus 750 co-pay is hardly worth it.

Is this a good deal?
Yes, most definitely an excellent deal.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
Just wondering, are these upgrades proactively offered online or in person, or do they have to be asked for? I usually fly BA YYZ-LHR but their fares are crazy at the moment, so may switch to AC. (ironic given I have just attained a gold card on BA!)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by williamn78
Just wondering, are these upgrades proactively offered online or in person, or do they have to be asked for? I usually fly BA YYZ-LHR but their fares are crazy at the moment, so may switch to AC. (ironic given I have just attained a gold card on BA!)
They are offered during online check-in and at the airport check-in kiosks afaik; the price of the LMU is very much dynamic as you can see from this thread.

At some outstations they can also be purchased at the check-in counter (and the LMU price is pretty fixed).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.