Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A reminder that this is the LMU discussion thread, not the thread to post the LMU you've been offered which is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ight=AC+Canada

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Is it just me or has the average cost of LMUs decreased substantially?

When this started ~3 weeks ago, I thought it may be related to the holidays, but LMU prices have remained at the same low level since.
It does seem so, YYZ->LHR was $4300 on the 16th, the return on the 28th? £379. Plus taxes, which I thought were exempt on intl. flights so maybe that's just AC IT. Both prices from N->J. J did look a lot more empty on the seat map on the 28th mind.

Either way, at the current rates I was getting on my card that's $645, or 15% of the out cost. And only $145 over the co-pay even if I had 21 credits. I was tempted but held out hope of a free upgrade.

Both flights said they were full on boarding but were not, not in PE anyway. I didn't venture out, just gave evil stares are all those from Y trekking through PE to get to the J washroom.

Maybe it's our 2017 altitude enhancement.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: E50K
Originally Posted by SKYEG
YYC-YWG-YYC CRJ705 Sept 2016-Jan 2017 8 times. Declined all.

Considering it's usually around $85-$120 difference from Tango + fare to full J at time of booking, not a good deal.
I'm missing something here. How much were the asking, on average, for the upgrade? Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
Offered $899 for YVR-LAX on an award ticket on Jan 11th
wow this is INSANE

YYC-YWG (W) $124 again. Declined. Called in and paid $80 fair class upgrade to paid J to upgrade without telling company! Ty for info!

Originally Posted by DaveObee
I'm missing something here. How much were the asking, on average, for the upgrade? Thanks.
$124 each time. I've had it as low as $99 on this route but that was 3/4 years ago.

Last edited by SKYEG; Jan 14, 2017 at 4:01 am
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
wow this is INSANE

YYC-YWG (W) $124 again. Declined. Called in and paid $80 fair class upgrade to paid J to upgrade without telling company! Ty for info!

$124 each time. I've had it as low as $99 on this route but that was 3/4 years ago.
If you can consistently do a fare class upgrade on that route for $80, I think you've hit a jackpot.

50% more AQM, a meal, a bigger seat, drinks, no eUps required, etc. I've certainly paid more than $80 to upgrade shorter flights.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: AC*35K, Maple Leaf Club Worldwide, HHonours, SPG, Fairmont President's Club
I am looking at purchasing a LMU, if offered, for an upcoming flight. I've purchased them previously, but I can't remember if you get to select your seat prior to paying for the upgrade. I'll be flying with my wife and she'll be absolutely beside herself if we can't sit next to each other, so if the system requires I pay for it and then select, and I find out there are two seats available, but not together, it will not be a good scene. Any insight?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I have only purchased once but I think I recall completing the transaction, being told what my seat was, and then having the change-seat option, same as a regular booking. When I perused the available seats to change, there was almost nothing open.
Depending on the length of the flight, I think I'd be much more beside myself if someone was able to upgrade me and didn't just because Y was "together" and J wasn't. I mean, the seats in J are not really all that together anyway.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by odingwell
I am looking at purchasing a LMU, if offered, for an upcoming flight. I've purchased them previously, but I can't remember if you get to select your seat prior to paying for the upgrade. I'll be flying with my wife and she'll be absolutely beside herself if we can't sit next to each other, so if the system requires I pay for it and then select, and I find out there are two seats available, but not together, it will not be a good scene. Any insight?
Welcome to FT.

As with any upgrade, you choose your seat after you've successfully obtained the upgrade, so in the case of an LMU, that would be after purchase.

If you want to know whether or not you'll be able to sit together, I suggest doing a flight search on ac.com before buying the LMU. During the flight selection process you'll be able to view the seat map. If you find that there are adjacent seats available, you can then complete the LMU purchase and select those seats. Short of having access to a paid-tool like KVS or ExpertFlyer, that's the easiest way I can think of.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:34 pm

In J most people are willing to trade seats so families can sit together.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 5:46 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I believe that statement is difficult to substantiate
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:01 pm

​​​​​​In J most decent people are willing to trade seats so families can sit together.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
​​​​​​In J most decent people are willing to trade seats so families can sit together.
In AC J (important distinction that I might not be as willing on other airlines), if I'm flying alone, I will trade my J seat (for another J seat) for any reason, no questions asked.

As such, I also have no qualms asking for a trade in AC J, and I'm AMAZED how often people refuse.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If I'm sitting in 2A on a 190 I will be hesitant to change for anything bar maybe 2D.
I don't want row 1 and don't want a window seat with someone next to me. I may take 3A if it reclines. Don't recall ever actually tested the back of J on a 190.

On a pod, I'm more willing but again I don't generally want to sit in row 1 if I want to sleep due to gallery noise.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:15 am

Hi,

I am trying to check in my grandparents from HKG-YYZ, hoping to do the LMU but the option wasn't given. Called in AC reservations and they said tango fares aren't eligible, but later then said if they go to the airport then they might be able to do it. What are my options now? Does the check in system change as you get closer to flight time?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I tried to upgrade a Tango traveller and at the airport they quoted me the buy-up to an eligible fare, then the upgrade could be processed. (I was using eUps but presumably that would also permit LMU.) I would not pay the amount unless the upgrade was guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.