Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Safety first!

(With my chubby index finer sticking up into the air)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So finally AC is hiring a In-Flight Service Recognition Manager whose job will be besides other things to:

Will have the objective to encourage engagement of Cabin Crew from complacent to optimum performance in order to become a top 10 global airline.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:36 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Will have the objective to encourage engagement of Cabin Crew from complacent to optimum performance in order to become a top 10 global airline.
That seems to be an unbelievably vague and subjective goal.

"Engagement" is an interesting choice of words - I would be really interested in the KPIs that go along with this. Doubtful we'll ever know what they are though.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That seems to be an unbelievably vague and subjective goal.

"Engagement" is an interesting choice of words - I would be really interested in the KPIs that go along with this. Doubtful we'll ever know what they are though.
AC has been doing this for a while now. There is a list of 15 headings with sub KPIs.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
AC has been doing this for a while now. There is a list of 15 headings with sub KPIs.
And it is obviously not working...............so they try again.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:32 pm

And it is obviously not working...............so they try again.
Measuring (KPIs) is one thing - implementing actions to improve the KPIs is another.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robsaw
Measuring (KPIs) is one thing - implementing actions to improve the KPIs is another.
Agreed, you need SMART people to implement the actions.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So finally AC is hiring a In-Flight Service Recognition Manager whose job will be besides other things to:

It's like they admit there is some complacency!

Geez Wheezy!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Is "In-Flight Service Recognition Manager "another new position?

If yes, then what is the difference between one of these managers and the OSMs they had on my flights earlier this year. At least one of them explained their job and position and what AC's plan/expectation was for this position.

If no, never mind
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Yesterday in PE, soon as doors closed and before pushback I asked the FA whether I could move to another PE seat, same row across the aisle as the seat next to it was empty. She told me I could not move till we were in the air and seat belt signs were off due to 'weight and balance issues" What ? Weight and balance issues in moving in the same row in PE on a 777 ? Anyway, I moved later but thought it was funny as did the passenger in the seat next to me. I think that's the rote answer trotted out to keep people from moving around when they are getting ready for takeoff.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Yesterday in PE, soon as doors closed and before pushback I asked the FA whether I could move to another PE seat, same row across the aisle as the seat next to it was empty. She told me I could not move till we were in the air and seat belt signs were off due to 'weight and balance issues" What ? Weight and balance issues in moving in the same row in PE on a 777 ? Anyway, I moved later but thought it was funny as did the passenger in the seat next to me. I think that's the rote answer trotted out to keep people from moving around when they are getting ready for takeoff.
The only reason that I can see this being said, and the same thing has been said to me on occasion, is that they don't want everyone else moving when it might actually affect W&B based on the areas of the cabin. So to KISS, go to the LCD and don't let anyone move until after takeoff.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
The only reason that I can see this being said, and the same thing has been said to me on occasion, is that they don't want everyone else moving when it might actually affect W&B based on the areas of the cabin. So to KISS, go to the LCD and don't let anyone move until after takeoff.
Maybe if a 777 was 1/2 empty that would be valid. The real reason is more closely associated with "door closure", which means the crew's objective is a secure cabin as push-back can begin at any time after door closure. Passengers must be seated, belted, tray-tables up, etc, etc before the cabin can be declared secure; allowing people to move means the cabin is by definition unsecure.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robsaw
Maybe if a 777 was 1/2 empty that would be valid. The real reason is more closely associated with "door closure", which means the crew's objective is a secure cabin as push-back can begin at any time after door closure. Passengers must be seated, belted, tray-tables up, etc, etc before the cabin can be declared secure; allowing people to move means the cabin is by definition unsecure.
Ok, sure.

Then why can't the crew just say what you just said? Sounds like an even more valid reason to me.

Having said that, I've been able to move just before doors closing or after the doors have closed, with full permission of the SD.

TBH, I have not seen a legit rhyme or reason to any of the seemingly inconsistent application of cabin protocol. And this is just based on my 300+ AC flights in Y and J this year alone.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Have you considered that this FA doesn't consider herself to be qualified to make W&B calculations and doesn't understand what goes into It? As a result, she may have erred on the side of safety. Isn't that what you would want an airline employee to do?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Have you considered that this FA doesn't consider herself to be qualified to make W&B calculations and doesn't understand what goes into It? As a result, she may have erred on the side of safety. Isn't that what you would want an airline employee to do?
Of course.

In cases where the FA is not sure, no need to make something up.
Just tell the pax to move after takeoff and leave it at that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.