FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1675221-weird-just-plain-incorrect-things-fas-sds-have-said-while-board.html)

yyznomad Apr 26, 2015 9:44 am

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

No, not necessarily negative but all and any type of things you have heard in flight crew say... over the PA system or just casual conversation...

But please stick to AC/ACR/ACX related staff.

I'll start... while on AC148 sometime last month (?) the SD says over the PA...

"We hope you enjoy this flight on the brand new Airbus 787"

:D

muskoka Apr 26, 2015 9:51 am

Last November, me & the missus were flying YYC-OGG on Grey Cup day. (Yes I made a fatal error & booked our trip without checking the calendar) Our flight took off at 4:30 pm from Calgary exactly at kickoff. We did get one score update from the captain in the 1st qtr. Just as we were landing, the SD came on & said that Calgary had defeated EDMONTON in the Grey Cup. The score he gave while I cant remember was way off as well! :rolleyes: Obviously not a YYC based crew! :p

pewpew Apr 26, 2015 9:51 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

"They're rouging YEG-LHR" said on 681 (or 861?) YYZ-LHR last year

superangrypenguin Apr 26, 2015 9:54 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24722857)
No, not necessarily negative but all and any type of things you have heard in flight crew say... over the PA system or just casual conversation...

But please stick to AC/ACR/ACX related staff.

I'll start... while on AC148 sometime last month (?) the SD says over the PA...

"We hope you enjoy this flight on the brand new Airbus 787"

:D

Got a lecture for using my mobile device playing angry birds while taxiing while i was on airplane mode recently and she said transport Canada said it was forbidden. I then said that she was wrong and then she argued with me. I then said if she's so sure she wouldn't mind if I emailed the director of IFS about it. She backed down.

Same situation with a FA who said she was only allowed to serve 1 shot per hour. After I pressed her about the issue she reluctantly backed down. If she cited smartserve I'd be fine with it but making up rules drives me up the wall. Stop lying! (directed to AC staff)

yyznomad Apr 26, 2015 9:54 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 24722882)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

861 is LHR YHZ

Wings100 Apr 26, 2015 9:57 am

SD FRA-YYZ
SE who upgrade never get meal choice early. Everyone else first because upgraded psgrs are bottom of list...I said I did not think it was correct and she said "I went through the training, you did not"

yyznomad Apr 26, 2015 9:58 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24722890)
Got a lecture for using my mobile device playing angry birds while taxiing while i was on airplane mode recently and she said transport Canada said it was forbidden. I then said that she was wrong and then she argued with me. I then said if she's so sure she wouldn't mind if I emailed the director of IFS about it. She backed down.

To add to this - EVEN TO THIS DAY, once every few weeks I get a SD who announces that all small handheld devices must be completely TURNED OFF during takeoff, taxiing, landing.

Really?

yyznomad Apr 26, 2015 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Wings100 (Post 24722906)
SD FRA-YYZ
SE who upgrade never get meal choice early. Everyone else first because upgraded psgrs are bottom of list...I said I did not think it was correct and she said "I went through the training, you did not"

Ben L did confirm that at the gate upgrades (ML*1) regardless of status are indeed at the bottom of the list.

Was this a ML*1 situation?

(Having said that, it is also up to the SD as a courtesy if they want to ask ML*1 SEs for the first meal choice)

superangrypenguin Apr 26, 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24722914)
Ben L did confirm that at the gate upgrades (ML*1) regardless of status are indeed at the bottom of the list.

Was this a ML*1 situation?

SEs who arent cleared at the gate, eg cleared T-7 or at time of booking (eg. B fare)....well FAs can't tell they are upgraded, from what I read on here. Fwiw. They are just J pax, equal to everyone else

yyznomad Apr 26, 2015 10:08 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 24722943)
SEs who arent cleared at the gate, eg cleared T-7 or at time of booking (eg. B fare)....well FAs can't tell they are upgraded, from what I read on here. Fwiw. They are just J pax, equal to everyone else

I know. But I was asking anyway...

D582 Apr 26, 2015 11:06 am

Notre sécurité est votre priorité.

superangrypenguin Apr 26, 2015 11:11 am

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 24723167)

I thought I was the one who ****** up that one on here. Nice to know someone messed it up onboard :p :D

drvannostren Apr 26, 2015 11:56 am

Originally Posted by D582 (Post 24723167)

Haha love this one.

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 24722908)
To add to this - EVEN TO THIS DAY, once every few weeks I get a SD who announces that all small handheld devices must be completely TURNED OFF during takeoff, taxiing, landing.

Really?

Isn't this true based on departure point? Some countries do have this rule no? To be honest I usually just ignore this cuz I think sometimes they say it by mistake. If they come to me and say it again then I oblige. More often now I'm getting "sir can you take 1 earbud out" getting this at YYC a lot, apparently they think I can't hear/see an emergency while boarding the aircraft, or walking on the ramp if there's no gate...folks I worked on the ramp 5-6 years, NOT having something in my ears is worse than having nothing and listening to those APUs whistle.

I can't remember the flight I was on, but I once had the FA come on and say "welcome to AC XXX service from Vancouver to .....uhh *whispers to someone else* as I piped up and said Toronto (or wherever it was). She's like "this is what happens when you're on the 4-5 flight of the day and none of which were your home base".

I was also on a flight to Bogota and as the safety video comes on, it's subtitled in what looked like Japanese. I said "uhh, think they loaded the wrong video" and she just said "let's see if you're the only one that notices" as I look around the cabin and see everyone's head buried in books/papers/phones.

My only other weird one was standing on the ramp at GRU, I decided to take a few pics of my UA GRU-IAH aircraft after we got bussed over. I didn't step out of line or behind a cone or anything. I got a very stern finger wag and "Nao permissao" or something close to that. Not sure what he was so uptight about.

superangrypenguin Apr 26, 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 24723390)
now I'm getting "sir can you take 1 earbud out" getting this at YYC a lot

WOW. Weird. I have my in earbuds connected to my phone listening to music. I then slide my phone underneath my thigh so I don't have to listen to the safety video. 5/10 i'm fine, the other 5/10 I get nagged to take them out, even one ear plugged in and one not has NEVER been OK. :td: I've never been through what you have....weird. AC = consistently inconsistent :)

mountainboy Apr 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 24722882)

I encountered something similar from SD a while back-- a strong conviction that AC852/843 (additional frequencies YYC-LHR) will be Rouge. Except.. being sold as mainline.. creepy