Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Last year I was flying from PVG-YVR, I stood in line at Zone 1-2 and a Gate agent checked my passport and boarding card, As I approached the desk they scanned my boarding card, after walking down the jetbridge the friendly Police man( or security guard) looked at my boarding pass and when I got on the plane a flight attendant looked at my boarding pass and repeated my seat number.
Only after all that as a Gate agent came running down the jetbridge calling my name telling me I had boarded the YYZ flight.
I pretty much got by everybody except the computer and I guess that was delayed.
The interesting thing was I had to go through security again to get back to the concourse just in time to board my YVR flight.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by robsaw
No kidding. I often resist the urge to tell a few fellow passengers that row 35 follows sequentially after row 33 and 34 and is well down from row 6 (or some such).
FOTSG boards, looks at the Row number for Row 1, stares at BP, stares at Row number for Row 1, stares at BP, then asks the SD where they need to go.

SD: "Oh, sir you are in row 284 seat E. Walk straight for approximately five miles, then make a left."
Ziptie, Bohemian1 and smallmj like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
FOTSG boards, looks at the Row number for Row 1, stares at BP, stares at Row number for Row 1, stares at BP, then asks the SD where they need to go.

SD: "Oh, sir you are in row 284 seat E. Walk straight for approximately five miles, then make a left."
Don't be too hard on yourself, nomad ... you'll get the hang of things as you get more experience flying.
JordanYVR likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: *G
It seems that infrequent travellers are confused by BPs - if a flight leaves from Gate A3, guess how many people want to sit in 3A?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fin 645
It seems that infrequent travellers are confused by BPs - if a flight leaves from Gate A3, guess how many people want to sit in 3A?
I want to sit in 3A regardless of gate ...
lcohen999 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
No kidding. I often resist the urge to tell a few fellow passengers that row 35 follows sequentially after row 33 and 34 and is well down from row 6 (or some such).
Not always are the rows in increasing order as you move! I got caught out the first time I flew upper deck on a 747. The stairs are at the back, so the first row I encountered was 64, then 63, and 60 furthest from the stairs ( and next to the cockpit).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Not always are the rows in increasing order as you move! I got caught out the first time I flew upper deck on a 747. The stairs are at the back, so the first row I encountered was 64, then 63, and 60 furthest from the stairs ( and next to the cockpit).
Now you are starting to sound like my directionally challenged significant-other. I guess seat A was also on your left as your proceeded down the aisle.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
Don't be too hard on yourself, nomad ... you'll get the hang of things as you get more experience flying.
I totally walked into that one, didn't I.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
ACr FA just approached me with the iPads which I declined citing lack of captioned content. She said something, I asked her to say again, she said something, I pointed at my ears and said I don't understand. She's reiterated again, and I said I'm sorry, I'm deaf (a bit surprised to have to tell her because it's on the manifest and I'm in J and E75k) and she says "do you read lips?" (which is the one thing that is dead easy to lipread) And I say "obviously not!" And she tries to say again, and I ask could she write it down, and she had a pen and paper in her hand the whole time, which she wasn't using until I asked. So she writes down what she was wanting to ask me: "is there anything we can do to assist you today?"
Duh - that! Write.
It's in this thread because it's weird and incorrect, since her whole purpose in approaching me apparently was because she WAS aware I was deaf, but her whole arsenal of skills was to ask if I could accommodate her by lip-reading, and having no training (or recall thereof) or the wherewithal to improvise a solution when her way failed. I can tell she'll be in the galley the whole flight.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I guess seat A was also on your left as your proceeded down the aisle.
Yes it is.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
When I'm asked for my bp on boarding, I deliberately feign searching for it for as long as possible while FOTSG blocking the entrance..
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
SD on AC034 claiming that the reason the PY service was so slow was because the 777-200s are the only aircraft with a 40J cabin and it makes it difficult to get help for PY. I asked about the 12 777-3000s that have 40J, and she said that I was wrong. All 777-300s have 28J. I tried explaining the the original 12 777-300s kept their large J, and only the HDs kept the small J, but she was insistent that all 777-300s have a 28J cabin, so it doesn't take as long to complete service and then help can be shuffled around the aircraft as necessary
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
SD on AC034 claiming that the reason the PY service was so slow was because the 777-200s are the only aircraft with a 40J cabin and it makes it difficult to get help for PY. I asked about the 12 777-3000s that have 40J, and she said that I was wrong. All 777-300s have 28J. I tried explaining the the original 12 777-300s kept their large J, and only the HDs kept the small J, but she was insistent that all 777-300s have a 28J cabin, so it doesn't take as long to complete service and then help can be shuffled around the aircraft as necessary
I wonder if the fact that there are fewer FAs on the 77L could make a difference though? Like the 40J 77W gets 5 FAs for main service, but the 40J 77L can only get 4 due to needs elsewhere?

I've noticed 33 on the domestic segments tends to have slower service than other domestic 77W flights I've taken.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by flyquiet
ACr FA just approached me with the iPads which I declined citing lack of captioned content. She said something, I asked her to say again, she said something, I pointed at my ears and said I don't understand. She's reiterated again, and I said I'm sorry, I'm deaf (a bit surprised to have to tell her because it's on the manifest and I'm in J and E75k) and she says "do you read lips?" (which is the one thing that is dead easy to lipread) And I say "obviously not!" And she tries to say again, and I ask could she write it down, and she had a pen and paper in her hand the whole time, which she wasn't using until I asked. So she writes down what she was wanting to ask me: "is there anything we can do to assist you today?"
Duh - that! Write.
It's in this thread because it's weird and incorrect, since her whole purpose in approaching me apparently was because she WAS aware I was deaf, but her whole arsenal of skills was to ask if I could accommodate her by lip-reading, and having no training (or recall thereof) or the wherewithal to improvise a solution when her way failed. I can tell she'll be in the galley the whole flight.
There's a few things at play here. First, we should be fair to the FA; I'm guessing as a Rouge employee, she's quite young and perhaps hasn't been offered the ancillary training beyond how to serve 200 passengers and then get them out of a burning aircraft. Yes, the general population contains a large & increasing number of people with physical, cognitive or sensory impairments, but universal access and sensitivity training has yet to catch up. To criticize the FA for a depleted arsenal of skills - and summing up her actions to a "Duh" - is not being entirely fair either. Let's remember that she found you - and went out of her way to offer individualized attention - and you were but one of hundreds of customers she saw that day. Being in J and a 75K member has zero relevance; the same treatment is and should be offered to a non-status flier in the last row.

Come to think of it, maybe there is relevance. Attaining 75K implies a lot of flying on AC, and if there's a single notable misstep in all your travel with them, I'd think that would be more indicative of the successes the company and its staff have displayed to date.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
There's a few things at play here. First, we should be fair to the FA; I'm guessing as a Rouge employee, she's quite young and perhaps hasn't been offered the ancillary training beyond how to serve 200 passengers and then get them out of a burning aircraft. Yes, the general population contains a large & increasing number of people with physical, cognitive or sensory impairments, but universal access and sensitivity training has yet to catch up. To criticize the FA for a depleted arsenal of skills - and summing up her actions to a "Duh" - is not being entirely fair either. Let's remember that she found you - and went out of her way to offer individualized attention - and you were but one of hundreds of customers she saw that day. Being in J and a 75K member has zero relevance; the same treatment is and should be offered to a non-status flier in the last row.

Come to think of it, maybe there is relevance. Attaining 75K implies a lot of flying on AC, and if there's a single notable misstep in all your travel with them, I'd think that would be more indicative of the successes the company and its staff have displayed to date.
I'd almost argue that being E75K would suggest that it's unnecessary to go out of your way to say hi. The same way it's "unnecessary" for me to see the safety video again (to date, I have had them log TWO instances of showing the __wrong seatmap__ in the video when explaining where and how to exit the aircraft - they never believe me until they watch it again for themselves).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.