FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weird or just plain incorrect things FAs/SDs have said while on board
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:20 pm
flyquiet

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
ACr FA just approached me with the iPads which I declined citing lack of captioned content. She said something, I asked her to say again, she said something, I pointed at my ears and said I don't understand. She's reiterated again, and I said I'm sorry, I'm deaf (a bit surprised to have to tell her because it's on the manifest and I'm in J and E75k) and she says "do you read lips?" (which is the one thing that is dead easy to lipread) And I say "obviously not!" And she tries to say again, and I ask could she write it down, and she had a pen and paper in her hand the whole time, which she wasn't using until I asked. So she writes down what she was wanting to ask me: "is there anything we can do to assist you today?"
Duh - that! Write.
It's in this thread because it's weird and incorrect, since her whole purpose in approaching me apparently was because she WAS aware I was deaf, but her whole arsenal of skills was to ask if I could accommodate her by lip-reading, and having no training (or recall thereof) or the wherewithal to improvise a solution when her way failed. I can tell she'll be in the galley the whole flight.