Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Access to the Montreal (YUL) International Maple Leaf Lounge™ (MLL)

Latest news, as per The Altitude Report, "October Edition", sent on November 1, 2017:

Our Montreal International Maple Leaf Lounge™ next to Gate 52 offers a peaceful, sophisticated place to relax before taking flight. As a friendly reminder, eligible customers who are departing on an international flight may access the lounge, regardless of the departure gate. Those departing on a domestic flight may only access the international lounge if their departure gate is between 50 and 68. They can also access the domestic Maple Leaf Lounge next to Gates 1 and 3.

An aside from yyznomad: (November 1, 2017)

From my own insider information, there was a recent meeting to discuss access to the YUL International MLL. It was to discuss access eligibility for domestic flights, due to overcrowding. I found this out due to an experience where I was flying out of Gate 50 on a domestic flight and was denied by both a lounge agent and a concierge seated next to him. After patiently waiting for them to reconfirm the rules, only upon my insistence, did they let me in. The agent vehemently advised that it was Gate 52 and higher and told me to talk to the concierge next to him. The concierge then asked the same agent what the rule was, and sided with the agent without verifying. Two days later, another agent apologized on their behalf for getting it wrong as it was still Gate 50 to 68. In any case, the rule still stands for gates 50-68.

Also, if you got in, but as an exception to the rules, then consider yourself simply as lucky.

So don't be afraid to stand your ground, with or without printed proof. So as long as you are eligible, stand your ground! You are most likely to get an agent who won't know the rules and wrongly turn you away.
Print Wikipost

YUL International MLL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Not sure if this is the best thread, there are a few potential ones so please move if needed. I know the potential use of the Intl YUL MLL by gate 52 was recently hotly debated. I wanted to confirm, access it not permitted via a pass.

My source? Shockingly, no-one that I've seen has noticed this years passes were updated to take this new rule into account ... Which specifically excludes this lounge.

Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So YUL-YYZ-INTL gets you in, but what about INTL-YUL-YYZ?

I'll try and report back, as OSS will have me right there anyway, but I'll be really annoyed if I have to go to domestic, especially since I'll be on standby for a widebody flight which will likely be in the 50+ range.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I'll try and report back, as OSS will have me right there anyway, but I'll be really annoyed if I have to go to domestic, especially since I'll be on standby for a widebody flight which will likely be in the 50+ range.
i witnessed a couple get turned away from the International MLL last week who had just arrived from INTL and were connecting domestic.

If your domestic departs from gate 49 or higher and you are SE, you will be ok, but otherwise you are at the mercy of the agent at the desk.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

As per @Yhztraveller ...

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

i witnessed a couple get turned away from the International MLL last week who had just arrived from INTL and were connecting domestic.

If your domestic departs from gate 49 or higher and you are SE, you will be ok, but otherwise you are at the mercy of the agent at the desk.
However, when did this rule change again, this time to gate 49?

It used to be Gate 48 then switched to Gate 50 as per:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005144-post212.html

Is there an updated communique from AC... or has yet to be communicated?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50, AF Flying Blue

I do INTL-YUL-YQB very often, with OSS (which is great by the way). Tried a couple of times to get in INTL MLL when OSS was first implemented, and was always turned away. Mind you my flight to YQB always departs from gates <48. I guess, I'm fine with them enforcing the rule.

Last edited by run&fly; Sep 2, 2018 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by yyznomad
As per @Yhztraveller ...

However, when did this rule change again, this time to gate 49?

It used to be Gate 48 then switched to Gate 50 as per:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29005144-post212.html

Is there an updated communique from AC... or has yet to be communicated?
Not sure there is an official communique of the change. Each desk agent seems to have their own interpretation of gate 48, 49, or 50.

I got in a few weeks ago departing from gate 49, but not sure if that was a “friendly” desk agent or a new policy.

A less than friendly DA once told me that the domestic MLL was “on my way” from my arrival at gate 66 to my connection at gate 21!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller

Not sure there is an official communique of the change. Each desk agent seems to have their own interpretation of gate 48, 49, or 50.

I got in a few weeks ago departing from gate 49, but not sure if that was a “friendly” desk agent or a new policy.

A less than friendly DA once told me that the domestic MLL was “on my way” from my arrival at gate 66 to my connection at gate 21!

Yes, it's the gate agents and their own interpretations.

One of the oft-changed old rules was 48 (and it was also something like 51 or 52 before) and that eventually changed to 50. It's changed a few times, just to add to everyone's confusion. Even at 50 last year I was once denied but after several of us pressed the MLL agent and the concierge standing next to him, they "checked their emails" and agreed it was 50. But unless there is something that has changed, the published rule remains at 50 and is no longer 48. (I wrote about this a year ago way upthread)

Btw, all of this is also in the wiki.

Last edited by yyznomad; Sep 2, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those departing on a domestic flight may only access the international lounge if their departure gate is between 50 and 68.

So if you do something like domestic AC835 which I have yet to have flown from a gate lower than 50, you have access.
ffsim likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:49 pm

Those departing on a domestic flight may only access the international lounge if their departure gate is between 50 and 68.

So if you do something like domestic AC835 which I have yet to have flown from a gate lower than 50, you have access.
I'm confirmed on 419, a 320, departing from 48 today (65 yesterday).

I'll be on standby for 415, a 333, which also departed from 48 today (49 yesterday and tomorrow).

I guess if both flights are at 48, I'll really have no true entitlement, but if I'm coming in from OSS and will be leaving from 48 regardless, I'll be really annoyed if I have to walk to 2.

I guess my real question is if 415 is departing from 50+, but I'm only on standby, what will happen?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confirmed on 419, a 320, departing from 48 today (65 yesterday).

I'll be on standby for 415, a 333, which also departed from 48 today (49 yesterday and tomorrow).

I guess if both flights are at 48, I'll really have no true entitlement, but if I'm coming in from OSS and will be leaving from 48 regardless, I'll be really annoyed if I have to walk to 2.
If you get in based on this, then consider yourself lucky.

I guess my real question is if 415 is departing from 50+, but I'm only on standby, what will happen?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:32 pm

I guess I should hope 419 departs from 50+ again. Then I'll consider myself lucky
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
An annoying feature of the YUL international is that it only opens prior to the specific banks of departures like morning Caribbean etc or noonish TPACs etc.

We were at the door before 11:00am along with a number of others, but it only opens at 11:15. I am aware YVR has more flights in the various time banks and so it makes sense for their international to remain open and then just serve the hot meal in the lunch time window for example, but still have foods available for snacking until then (in this case breakfast)

How hard is it to leave the YUL International open for this who arrive on connections or whatever? I'm certainly not going to the Domestic MLL for a few reasons.

How hard is it for AC and Compass to put out a bowl of kibble or something and some coffee/tea/water/juice until mealtime? Even if we don't have enough time prior to the flight to actually enjoy a meal, at least a drink and a snack?

just saying......
Old Sep 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
I'm saddened to report that the great stir fry is no longer offered at the YUL Int'l MLL.

Instead, it has been replaced by the garlicky shrimp pasta that is also offered at the YVR Int'l MLL.

I know the change happened a few months ago, but I hadn't been in this lounge for a while, and was disappointed to learn the disappearance of my beloved stir-fry I am not sure if AC did this to be consistent with YVR, to save a few pennies or what.

Still it was reasonably tasty. I wasn't interested in polluting the existence of my fellow pax on a 15-hour flight, so I made sure they went easy on the garlic.

24left likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:14 pm

I like that garlic shrimp pasta! I think it's pretty good. ^
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I like that garlic shrimp pasta! I think it's pretty good. ^
Looks tasty for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.