Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested the original 2004 - 2014 thread on the topic may be found here.

That original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about other airline/hotel loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada Forum Lounge Thread (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
At least your organization was not reorged this morning
I see.
So... are you on the streets now? Busking?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I see.
So... are you on the streets now? Busking?
Who knows. Management goes rah rah rah this won't affect you rah rah, same sort of garbage. I'm not sure yet but whatever. I don't let this affect me anymore
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Who knows. Management goes rah rah rah this won't affect you rah rah, same sort of garbage. I'm not sure yet but whatever. I don't let this affect me anymore
Super Apathetic Penguin
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Super Apathetic Penguin
Ahahaha. I used to...not be like this. I used to freak out when things like this happen. Guess I'm indifferent at this point about what I do for a living Although you've made me lookup two words today that I didn't know from before, #naughtylist
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Quite a few people from YYC, so I thought I'd share this.

...[The Caesar's review]...

Originally Posted by ffsim
Absolutely unacceptable. It's a ridiculous policy and you were right to argue it. But here's how I would've handled it: one picks up the whole tab and leaves an appropriate (read <18%) tip while the other e-transfers his/her share of the meal to the person who paid.

No way I'm throwing money away in bad service because of a bad policy
It really was disappointing, the service was quite bad. For those of you that know Caesar's, I suspect it's because our waiter was only in his 40s; the old guys who've been there since it first opened in 1971 or 72, I've never had problems with.

But I was livid at the 18% mandatory gratuity to split the bill (which we needed to do so SAP could expense his share). I understand the concept of the mandatory tip for a large group, but to do that to split a very simple two-person bill, I have never seen that before anywhere.

In addition to SAP complaining to the Fairmont staff, we both complained to the manager who was there and he took our cards for follow-up by the head manager or whatever.

So we'll see what happens.

But for those of you not from here or who don't know much about Caesar's, I wouldn't put too much weight on this, it's not at all typical of the service there. The steaks are good and the decor is unique, so it's usually a reliably good place. And to be fair, I think the penguin at least enjoyed his steak.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adam.smith
But for those of you not from here or who don't know much about Caesar's, I wouldn't put too much weight on this, it's not at all typical of the service there. The steaks are good and the decor is unique, so it's usually a reliably good place. And to be fair, I think the penguin at least enjoyed his steak.
Yep, a one off for sure based on your comments The steak was excellent. So was the salad, which I usually do not eat!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll just go Hy's.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've had mixed experiences with Hy's so far. Service has generally been mediocre, food is pretty good but not quite as good as Caesar's, albeit slightly more modern. So I generally still pick Caesar's.

But if you're ever in town and want a steak, nomad, let me know and I'll take you somewhere good.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: *$ Green
失礼しますね。すみません。
よく東京のウェスティンホテルに泊まります。東京に行かなかったら、大阪に行きます。今東京にいるんです。 今スパースフライアーさんはどこですか。

(for those that try to Google Translate this, it's not that great for Japanese, btw )
Woah woah woah!

We may have severely overestimated my Japanese LOL

All I got was something about understanding that it was an error, saying sorry, and about staying somewhere in Tokyo. Then something something Osaka. LOL

Sorry I have failed you sir.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well just to follow up, the manager at Hy's called me.

1) Situation is resolved
2) It was an abnormal situation (like WRT to the 18% tip thing for splitting a bill). SOP was not followed

Offered to make it right as well. So will I try this place again? Probably. The food was good.

//moving along
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Sitting at YXJ ariport trying to get VDB'd lol. I encountered IRROPS on my last three attempts to fly this week. I got 2 hours of sleep in an air canada sponsored hotel last night. I just want my $800 and the chance to go to bed! The concierge was very apologetic last night at YYZ before he sent me to YYC...

Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Sitting at YXJ ariport trying to get VDB'd lol. I encountered IRROPS on my last three attempts to fly this week. I got 2 hours of sleep in an air canada sponsored hotel last night. I just want my $800 and the chance to go to bed! The concierge was very apologetic last night at YYZ before he sent me to YYC...

Y0 B0 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
This blows my mind. Someone who TRIES to get VDB'd. LOL

[I have no idea how you do it]
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh and Top Gear (the 3 of them + Wilman) is BACK!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=atv_pr...&pf_rd_t=12805
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
This blows my mind. Someone who TRIES to get VDB'd. LOL

[I have no idea how you do it]
Well I'm single now, and I have a tinder date tomorrow in YVR. I don't mind being a day late so I can stop in YVR on my way to YYJ.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Well I'm single now, and I have a tinder date tomorrow in YVR. I don't mind being a day late so I can stop in YVR on my way to YYJ.
Dude, you need pewpew to write your Tinder profile. (If you read the match.com thread in the Omni board and cross reference his posts), I'm just saying. Bros before....uhh, i'll stop there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.