Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
I've just started OLCI for my Y reward flight tonight. The "manage my bookings" on AC correctly shows my AE number (but cannot be edited), while on OLCI it is greyed out and marked N/A. I want to switch to my TK *G number so I can use those FFP benefits. Will this pose an issue or can they do it for me at the airport?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gregster
I've just started OLCI for my Y reward flight tonight. The "manage my bookings" on AC correctly shows my AE number (but cannot be edited), while on OLCI it is greyed out and marked N/A. I want to switch to my TK *G number so I can use those FFP benefits. Will this pose an issue or can they do it for me at the airport?
Good luck!!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: *$ Green

Based on my personal experience, you have a 100% chance of being told "no, because you can't earn miles on reward bookings".
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Based on my personal experience, you have a 100% chance of being told "no, because you can't earn miles on reward bookings".
Yeah, I get that angle. But are my odds still good at getting checked bags, priority security, lounge, zone 2 by showing the card?

Edit: Not sure what the agent did on checkin, but she was very helpful in getting my bags tagged as priority and zone 2 on the BP. *G did not print on the BP though.

Last edited by gregster; Apr 22, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Sorry if I'm repeating stuff, but 9 pages is too much to read while drinking...

For another datapoint, AE booking with a SFO-YVR segment in the middle that I did not fly. This is what my Altitude portal shows... Reverse-engineer away!!!

Mar 25 2016 Air Canada 561 San Francisco (CA) - Vancouver (BC) I 0 Not eligible
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:45 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Yeah, I get that angle. But are my odds still good at getting checked bags, priority security, lounge, zone 2 by showing the card?

Edit: Not sure what the agent did on checkin, but she was very helpful in getting my bags tagged as priority and zone 2 on the BP. *G did not print on the BP though.
you're entitled *g benefits by showing your boarding pass and matching membership card. that's it. that's all. it doesn't need to appear on your boarding pass. in other words, you are conferred *gold benefits by virtue of earning *gold and getting the card. and by having the card you get the benefits. showing it on a bp just speeds the process at boarding. i don't know why everyone thinks this is so complicated
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
you're entitled *g benefits by showing your boarding pass and matching membership card. that's it. that's all. it doesn't need to appear on your boarding pass. in other words, you are conferred *gold benefits by virtue of earning *gold and getting the card. and by having the card you get the benefits. showing it on a bp just speeds the process at boarding. i don't know why everyone thinks this is so complicated
It's not that its complicated. Its about the Stupidity of the Airline & Aeroplan that cannot get its act together. Other airlines have no issues for you to add your FF # onto an award tkt, they know you cannot earn miles on X & I class.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can be done (regardless of who purchased the X ticket) but it has to be done manually and it requires the agent to enter the information in the appropriate field(s) (not sure what the keystrokes are as I didn't watch them do it). It's annoying that you can't do it online but I didn't completely care as I had lots of bags to drop off.

But it can be done. And I made sure of it as few weeks ago.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cur
My favourite topic!

Merely showing the card will not get you priority baggage - even if the agent puts a priority tag on, the status will not be reflected in the bar code and the tag will be removed in the baggage room and the bag placed in with the regular stuff. It happens.

Many agents are not experienced in the manual entry of the data so you have to insist, but the one aspect that I not been able to achieve is to have the priority zone on all BPs on one booking when I am travelling on someone else's miles.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
I should note, that if a record like this flows to your Altitude, it looks like this.

So the argument that you'll earn miles if the number if put on the PNR is very likely based on untrue facts. I'll also note I didn't even fly this segment, and it "credited" significantly later than it would have if it was a regular taken flight, but as I was not expecting it at all, I don't know exactly how many days after.

One last oddity: There is nothing showing in my Aeroplan related to this flight, except that it was booked.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fin 645
My favourite topic!

Merely showing the card will not get you priority baggage - even if the agent puts a priority tag on, the status will not be reflected in the bar code and the tag will be removed in the baggage room and the bag placed in with the regular stuff. It happens.

Many agents are not experienced in the manual entry of the data so you have to insist, but the one aspect that I not been able to achieve is to have the priority zone on all BPs on one booking when I am travelling on someone else's miles.
Yep, thats what they did to our bags, the tags were removed when we got the bags in GRU.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I should note, that if a record like this flows to your Altitude, it looks like this.

So the argument that you'll earn miles if the number if put on the PNR is very likely based on untrue facts. I'll also note I didn't even fly this segment, and it "credited" significantly later than it would have if it was a regular taken flight, but as I was not expecting it at all, I don't know exactly how many days after.

One last oddity: There is nothing showing in my Aeroplan related to this flight, except that it was booked.
I am still super curious about the "you will earn AE miles" line.

I have gotten this answer so consistently (well, at least as far as a Sparse Flyer goes) (in different airports with different agents), that I can't believe that it's just an agent making something up.

IIRC, someone IRL or on FT (or both) mentioned something about how there are two fields where an AE can be entered.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by cur
Many of AC's standard processes (zone boarding, baggage allowance, lounge access) rely on the agents following standard procedures.

When the system (and boarding pass doesn't show the status, results can vary, especially at outstations). Thus, you end up with agents going by the system that say "computer says you need to pay for your baggage", or agents denying priority boarding because the status doesn't show up and the boarding pass says Zone 4.

There have been far too many examples of agents denying benefits because their computer says so, and agents who will only go by what's on the boarding pass.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I am still super curious about the "you will earn AE miles" line.

I have gotten this answer so consistently (well, at least as far as a Sparse Flyer goes) (in different airports with different agents), that I can't believe that it's just an agent making something up.

IIRC, someone IRL or on FT (or both) mentioned something about how there are two fields where an AE can be entered.
There are two lines on a ticket. One for status and one for mileage accrual. Ac has removed the mileage accrual line altogether for ap award tickets. so it is virtually impossible to earn miles on ac with an ap ticket as the mileage accrual line does not exist, No matter how many times an agent may rebook/reissue your ticket on ac metal. And that's all I'm going to say on that

Back in the good ol days it was possible to have your status reflected on your Bp (ie for upgrades, priority lines, lounge) while still crediting the miles to another *a carrier
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by gcashin
Many of AC's standard processes (zone boarding, baggage allowance, lounge access) rely on the agents following standard procedures.

When the system (and boarding pass doesn't show the status, results can vary, especially at outstations). Thus, you end up with agents going by the system that say "computer says you need to pay for your baggage", or agents denying priority boarding because the status doesn't show up and the boarding pass says Zone 4.

There have been far too many examples of agents denying benefits because their computer says so, and agents who will only go by what's on the boarding pass.
This is why it's better to have your bps already printed out before removing your status.

This manual process is documented in ac Aerojet (I'm trying to recal the line entry) as I've had to to point this out to agents before. Asking them to refer to their Aerojet database or tell them to call a supervisor if they don't know how to use Aeronet (which is a great way for them to admit their incompetence), should lend credence to your argument that a) you're knowledgeable time starved altitude member. B) delaying a time starved knowledgeable altitude member is not in keeping with Ac mission, values, or more pragmatically, their customer service plan.

Either tactics are good for getting the agent to relent and do the right thing, so that your journey no longer awaits, and are free to go far with AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.