Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
In December flew YHZ-YYZ-YVR and the return a week later on a reward ticket booked on my dads points. I arrived at the airport in Halifax and the agent had no problem adding my AP to the ticket so my few P25K benefits could be recognized. In YYZ boarding AC153 I was amazed to find out I had been op upped. I would think that is unheard of for a P25K on that flight. On the return when I checked in, in Vancouver I was surprised to see that my status wasn't on the boarding pass. I assumed if it was added in Halifax it would remain on the file. I asked if they could add my aeroplan, and the agent said it couldn't be done. I told her that it was done on the outbound, and she gave me some explanation that it couldn't be done because it was an AP reward. Didn't really matter anyways but she was wrong in saying it couldn't be done.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
In December flew YHZ-YYZ-YVR and the return a week later on a reward ticket booked on my dads points. I arrived at the airport in Halifax and the agent had no problem adding my AP to the ticket so my few P25K benefits could be recognized. In YYZ boarding AC153 I was amazed to find out I had been op upped. I would think that is unheard of for a P25K on that flight. On the return when I checked in, in Vancouver I was surprised to see that my status wasn't on the boarding pass. I assumed if it was added in Halifax it would remain on the file. I asked if they could add my aeroplan, and the agent said it couldn't be done. I told her that it was done on the outbound, and she gave me some explanation that it couldn't be done because it was an AP reward. Didn't really matter anyways but she was wrong in saying it couldn't be done.
A YVR agent telling you something's not possible that you've done as recently as a week ago?

Where have I heard that before?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ure-wrong.html
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I asked to put my AE# on a reward ticket once, and I was told I wasn't allowed to do it because I'm not allowed to earn miles on a reward flight.

Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have NEVER had a problem traveling on my own miles. My status has always showed up. This was true in December 2013, January 2016, and at many points in between.
WELL I HAVE and I wish those that have not had this experience would stop implying that it has never happened. Way back when, it was a given that status did not show, but then they made it happen, and it all went smoothly until they enhanced the system to benefit those travelling on someone else's miles. The system then took a giant step backwards. AC was aware of the problem. I am getting the impression that they may have since fixed some or all of it.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
A YVR agent telling you something's not possible that you've done as recently as a week ago?

Too many times.

Does it not state it right here on the AC website that when traveling on a reward to have the status added at checkin or has that been removed. (Can't find it now)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fin 645
WELL I HAVE and I wish those that have not had this experience would stop implying that it has never happened. Way back when, it was a given that status did not show, but then they made it happen, and it all went smoothly until they enhanced the system to benefit those travelling on someone else's miles. The system then took a giant step backwards. AC was aware of the problem. I am getting the impression that they may have since fixed some or all of it.
I'm not saying there has never been a problem, just that I've never experienced one.

You said that it stopped working for you after October 22.

I flew on my own miles on October 22 and October 25, and it worked in both cases. So there was no system-wide problem.

I've certainly flown enough to experience various issues, but I've redeemed over a 750k miles for my own travel in the past 7 months, and not once have I had an issue with my own status showing up, unless airport agents made changes to the reservation, in which case, they had to re-enter my number (but none refused, and it always worked).
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond

This should be AC's agents Mantra of 2016!!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:54 am

I'm trying to check in online in for an AC flight booked using United Points. I have top status with United so on the boarding pass accurately reflects this and says UA*G for Star Gold. However it's asking me to pay for bags.

I never entered in the UA # on AC it was simply passed on from UA. I'd rather not fight with them at the airport over my 3 bags. Can I assume this is a glitch? There is no way during check-in to modify the frequent flyer number for any of the passengers (5 of us).

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Youponder
I'm trying to check in online in for an AC flight booked using United Points. I have top status with United so on the boarding pass accurately reflects this and says UA*G for Star Gold. However it's asking me to pay for bags.

I never entered in the UA # on AC it was simply passed on from UA. I'd rather not fight with them at the airport over my 3 bags. Can I assume this is a glitch? There is no way during check-in to modify the frequent flyer number for any of the passengers (5 of us).

Thanks!
Just show your card at check in. Don't prepay, and don't agree to pay.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

Thanks!

Originally Posted by pewpew
Just show your card at check in. Don't prepay, and don't agree to pay.
I would also highly recommend that you have with you a printed copy of the *A rules and the Air Canada rules clearly indicating this privilege. the last thing you need is stress from a check-in agent who may well argue otherwise.

Here is the Star Alliance Gold Status page

http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status

PRIORITY AIRPORT CHECK-IN

Avoid the queues at check-in by going to the Priority counters, where available. Just look for the Star Alliance Gold sign.

AIRPORT LOUNGE ACCESS

Escape the crowds in over 1,000 lounges world-wide when you fly on a member airline flight. For details, check our lounge access policy.

PRIORITY BOARDING

Board at your convenience with First Class and Business Class passengers where this is offered at the gate.

EXTRA BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies. Note that some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. For travel within Europe on “Light” fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and “Check&Go” fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance will not be offered.

PRIORITY BAGGAGE HANDLING

Your bags are among the first on the belt, so you can move on quickly.

PRIORITY RESERVATIONS WAITLIST

If there are no seats on your preferred flight, your status puts you higher on the waiting list, except when you are travelling on an award ticket.

PRIORITY STAND-BY

If your travel plans change and flights are full, your status gives you higher priority on the standby list for the flight, except when you are travelling on an award ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2576 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'd generally agree to take that page, but I can easily see an agent interpreting that as saying you shouldn't get the allowance on AC only itineraries. Instead, a print out from the AC baggage calculator alone may be more effective
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by pewpew

I'd generally agree to take that page, but I can easily see an agent interpreting that as saying you shouldn't get the allowance on AC only itineraries. Instead, a print out from the AC baggage calculator alone may be more effective

That too. good point.

I posted the *A info in case someone else wanted it.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life

Thanks!
This is a problem in general with all *A airlines. When you check in, show your card and everything should be ok. I believe you only get 2 free bags, so you will most likely be charged for your 3rd bag.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by gcashin
Recent data point from flying last week on a reward ticket. Spouse had booked the flights using his points. I was able to add my FF number at check-in so it recognized my E50 status. It wasn't possible to add a FF number for Spouse's profile, but it showed the status properly on his boarding pass as well, because he had booked the tickets.

Suggest trying to see if you can add it on check-in.
Well market fare rewards don't seem to allow this--think there was a post to this effect on another thread. Tried last night on market fare reward booked on spouse's account--still got the dreaded Zone 4. Gate agent was not going to allow me to priority board despite having SE MM card for 2016! ...! She relented eventually but I don't want to have to do this again on the return. (this is econo on a Q400 where space can disappear)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
I called in the other night to add my AE number to a Classic/Fixed reward for s booking this Friday. It took >30 mins on hold to speak to an agent, via the priority line. I was told to checkin online, add my AE number there, and declare I wasn't checking any bags, then to proceed to the baggage desk (technically there is none at YHZ) to have the bags checked without fee. After beng on hold another 5 mins, she changed it. There's no way I'm going to leave this to the whim of a check in agent at a station where the staff have told me (last summer) that anything under E50K doesn't get any free bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.