Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Yyttraveler
So the check in agent "added" my number to the ticket, however it still didn't show up on my boarding passes. He said that he didn't know of a way how to add it. Oh well..
Usually works when you do online checkin; I've had much less success with agents at the airport.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
The Lounge Agent at YVR last week mentioned to me that they recently changed the system to not allow modifying the AP number on AP tickets. I didn't probe too much since there was a line. But from my understanding changes are afoot to stop numbers from being added and miles accidentally collected according to this one Agent.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My family and I have had issues with transborder flights. If one can not add one's frequent flyer number and/or nexus number, then the TSA may not recognize you as a frequent flyer - then one more often gets the dreaded SSSS printed on the boarding pass.

Several months ago, I flew transborder on someone else's Aeroplan award ticket. I could only add my (SE) frequent flyer number and nexus number at airport check-in - I got the SSSS.
Interesting. Had the exact same thing last week. As mentioned above, traveling on a transborder award ticket that Spouse had booked. Was only able to add my FF number and Nexus at airport check-in. Lo and behold, the dreaded SSSS was on my boarding pass. First time in ages I'd got that.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
A related issue. We also tried to get our ae numbers added to our award travel but was told cannot do.

All of these make me wonder how would they know that a passenger gets 1 free checked bag, on ae award travel, with the TD or CIBC ae infinite (or privilege) cards.

My wife and I travelled earlier in the year, in Apr. At YYZ, the agent would not give us any free bag (we only wanted to check in one, on my ticket). The agent insisted nobody gets free bag for reward travel but only revenue tickets, even though I showed him the printed T&C.

After we get to SFO, we called ae, and they said the airport agent was wrong, and proceed to put some notes in our ticket for the return segment. We were ok on the return, when we checked 1 bag each.

My wife and I both have new TD, and CIBC cards. By Aug., we also both have the CIBC transitioned cards to TD. So at that time, each of us have 3 ae infinite cards, all allowing us free checked bag on award travel.

We travelled again in Aug. My wife and I got 1 free checked bag each, flying out of YYZ. So we thought maybe the system is working now, to know my wife should get free checked bag. But on the return, at MIA the agent said only I get 1 free checked bag because that's what the ticket and boarding pass said. My wife's ticket did not have such indication.

So what exactly needs to be on the ticket and the boarding pass, for award travel, to indicate we get one free checked bag. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency.

When we get back, my wife called and got bounced around from ae to ac to td visa, all saying it's not their issue, although they confirmed my wife should get that 1 free checked bag.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
In my experience, it's only possible to add Aeroplan numbers to AP reward bookings for passengers other than the first one on the PNR. For example, I've never been able to add my number to a booking made with my wife's points when I'm the only passenger, but I do it all the time when we're on the same itinerary.
That applies when two people are travelling - if you use your wife's points but list yourself as the primary passenger, you are not able to add your FF number at any point (booking, OLCI or at the airport - no matter what the agent says). But if you list yourself as secondary passenger, it can be done at OLCI.

If travelling alone on someone else's points, you are SOL plain and simple. Your card will get you most privileges EXCEPT priority baggage. If the agent puts the tag on, chances are it will be ignored or removed. Been there, done that, several times.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC 25k, A3 *G, BA, Westjet Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Its funny how AC is the seems to be the only airline not able to change an award booking. This summer, I had a multi-stop award trip to Europe on AC, LH and OS. OS and LH had no issues with adding the FF number to the reservation on their system. I am A3 *G so entitled to 3 bags on AC but at the airport I was only allowed one and even though I should my card and said I got 3 bags, they charged me for the 2nd bag. I got the money back after I complain to customer relations and waited a month. The AC baggage query tool on the AC site clearly states I get 3 bags on my Aeroplan award ticket yet no one seems to want to recognize it. It appears that if my *G FF isn't on the ticket then I can't get my 3 bags but since we can't change it anywhere, this appears to be a problem.

I don't see why putting my FF number on the ticket is a big deal, Aeroplan purchased my ticket for me, I am pretty sure with $$, so what I want to do with my ticket shouldn't be a problem. Call it a reward ticket but lets be real here, AC is getting paid money for the ticket along with the scamcharges and taxes. The fare class will also prevent the awarding of miles so that seems like a red herring to me as an excuse.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by yyccdg
Its funny how AC is the seems to be the only airline not able to change an award booking. This summer, I had a multi-stop award trip to Europe on AC, LH and OS. OS and LH had no issues with adding the FF number to the reservation on their system...
I wonder if it's a case of AC's systems not being very good? It has been a couple years since I flew LH on an Aeroplan ticket but I recall on check-in the agent proactively asking for my FF#. I didn't need *G benefits since I was flying in F, but all the same the agent wanted to add my number. Presumably she could see it was a rewards ticket, but adding FF was still a part of the check-in process.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by yyccdg
Its funny how AC is the seems to be the only airline not able to change an award booking. This summer, I had a multi-stop award trip to Europe on AC, LH and OS. OS and LH had no issues with adding the FF number to the reservation on their system. I am A3 *G so entitled to 3 bags on AC but at the airport I was only allowed one and even though I should my card and said I got 3 bags, they charged me for the 2nd bag. I got the money back after I complain to customer relations and waited a month. The AC baggage query tool on the AC site clearly states I get 3 bags on my Aeroplan award ticket yet no one seems to want to recognize it. It appears that if my *G FF isn't on the ticket then I can't get my 3 bags but since we can't change it anywhere, this appears to be a problem.

I don't see why putting my FF number on the ticket is a big deal, Aeroplan purchased my ticket for me, I am pretty sure with $$, so what I want to do with my ticket shouldn't be a problem. Call it a reward ticket but lets be real here, AC is getting paid money for the ticket along with the scamcharges and taxes. The fare class will also prevent the awarding of miles so that seems like a red herring to me as an excuse.
At least you got your money back. My wife gave up after calling and got bounced between ac, aeropeso, and visa, each saying it's the other party's issue.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
We booked an A3 award ticket on AC's metal. In the initial reservation the A3 number shows up in AC's system. But not on the boarding pass. So when we checked in we showed the agent the passport and the gold card. The agent (a new agent I am assuming, African background serving the Priority checkin at T1), took the pp and pushed aside the gold card.

Then he did not add the Priority Tag. So I reminded him that this is a Gold passenger and entitled to Star Gold benefits at which point he barked back, then why didnt you tell your travel agent to add your gold card. OMG what a dumb a$$.
He also said that we will get miles if he adds the number. Ha ha ha, miles on a X class ticket, yah right.

So we reminded him that we the Gold number does show up in the PNR but not on the boarding pass. then he started on us, oh my,he eventually put on the tag. Very frustrating experience.

Now what happens if the Gold number is not in the boarding pass, then you will not be considered for operational upgrades as you appear as a non status ticket holder.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by djjaguar64

Now what happens if the Gold number is not in the boarding pass, then you will not be considered for operational upgrades as you appear as a non status ticket holder.
Exactly. I want my status recognized on AE bookings under someone else's AE points so that I receive proper baggage privileges, zone boarding, etc.

Kind of glad this thread got resurrected as I'll be travelling on an AE Reward Ticket booked with someone else's points again soon.

Has anyone found a way to get your personal AE# added to the booking to receive status benefits? Twice I have tried asking the check in agents @ the airport and they have said they're unable to add it. Perplexing. And annoying.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Exactly. I want my status recognized on AE bookings under someone else's AE points so that I receive proper baggage privileges, zone boarding, etc.

Kind of glad this thread got resurrected as I'll be travelling on an AE Reward Ticket booked with someone else's points again soon.

Has anyone found a way to get your personal AE# added to the booking to receive status benefits? Twice I have tried asking the check in agents @ the airport and they have said they're unable to add it. Perplexing. And annoying.
Wait a minute, miles in our case were booked from a Joint or together account and both members are Gold members. So if your ticket was booked by a status member and you do not have status then your FF # should show up not the the person whose miles were used to book your ticket!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

2 recent tickets booked for me as a gift and SE concierge was unable to put my # on one of them, but the second on worked. She did not know why.

I believe the Cow has an excellent understanding of this and can explain it better than I can.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
2 recent tickets booked for me as a gift and SE concierge was unable to put my # on one of them, but the second on worked. She did not know why.

I believe the Cow has an excellent understanding of this and can explain it better than I can.
I've never had anyone say "it won't work".

I've had them say "We're not allowed to" and "It won't show your status regardless" and "Okay here you go".

But never "I tried and it didn't work".

Mind you, the scenarios I've had were all tickets booked with my points that were just changed or screwed up in some way, so it could be different for a "pristine" booking using someone else's miles.

My father has about 60k miles that he's agreed to let me use, and I just found a booking I want to make that doesn't require IKK, so I may get the chance soon.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Wait a minute, miles in our case were booked from a Joint or together account and both members are Gold members. So if your ticket was booked by a status member and you do not have status then your FF # should show up not the the person whose miles were used to book your ticket!
Ticket was booked by an SE100K with his points, but I am E50k and it's a bit annoying having to fight / explain my status to get lounge access, baggage privileges, Zone 2 boarding, etc etc.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never had anyone say "it won't work".

I've had them say "We're not allowed to" and "It won't show your status regardless" and "Okay here you go".

But never "I tried and it didn't work".

Mind you, the scenarios I've had were all tickets booked with my points that were just changed or screwed up in some way, so it could be different for a "pristine" booking using someone else's miles.

My father has about 60k miles that he's agreed to let me use, and I just found a booking I want to make that doesn't require IKK, so I may get the chance soon.
Oh yeah that sounds different from my situation...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ticket was booked by an SE100K with his points, but I am E50k and it's a bit annoying having to fight / explain my status to get lounge access, baggage privileges, Zone 2 boarding, etc etc.

Oh yeah that sounds different from my situation...
Sorry I have lost touch with the multitude of AC's statuses, so if EK50 gives you access as a Star Gold then just display your card to get your benefits. But I have in the past been upgraded on Award tickets as AC Elite & A3 Gold, but now you will not be in the OP UP list as your number will not be in the system at the airport check in list or whatever its called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.