Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Adding Frequent Flyer # to Aeroplan Bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS

Hey guys, relatively new poster here on flyertalk.
Just a question regarding Aeroplan reward tickets and adding my frequent flyer #. I have a ticket coming up tomorrow booked using a relative of mine's points, and there was no option to add my FF# to the booking.
I'm just wondering if at airport check in, if the check in agent could add my number to the ticket. I'm an E50k, and obviously won't be getting any miles for the travel, but access to the lounge and priority boarding etc would make having the # on the boarding pass useful.
Had a past incident where a check in agent wouldn't recognize my e50k status since it wasn't on the booking (using my brother's points) and despite numerous arguments and showing her my e50k card, she forced me to reduce the weight of my checked bag to <50 lbs on the spot.
Thanks !
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
There is a reason why you can't add it, and I know I saw it explained by Ben before, can't remember the exact word for word why. But basically it's an aeroplan ticket and the short answer is no you can't, and Airport agents aren't supposed to.

However, if you have your card etc, they should be allowing you lounge, luggage, etc without hassle.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
There is a reason why you can't add it, and I know I saw it explained by Ben before, can't remember the exact word for word why. But basically it's an aeroplan ticket and the short answer is no you can't, and Airport agents aren't supposed to.

However, if you have your card etc, they should be allowing you lounge, luggage, etc without hassle.
What you say makes sense but there is an inconsistency in logic. If you travelling on an Aeroplan ticket but did not do the booking the system does not recognize it and it can't be added. Let pursue the logic using a recent example I just experienced. I am E50 but am not pursing AP status this year. I am one flight away from *G with Agean. So I show up at the priority lane knowing I am E50 and get boarding passes that show my *S on Agean. OK that's what I want to do. At the desk I ask why I am not getting priority tags. I show my E50 card and the agent explains that if I use my E50 status on the booking I get the *G benefits and Altitude benefits that go with that status. But because I am crediting this flight to A3 and I am only silver at this point I don't get a tag. OK I get the logic.
Move to the lounge and show my boarding pass and my Altitude E50 card. Card is scanned no problem. But where is the logic? If I can't get a lil old priority tag but I can get access to the lounge I don't see the consistency of logic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about getting access to the lounge. I just wish I could understand the logic.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
Recent data point from flying last week on a reward ticket. Spouse had booked the flights using his points. I was able to add my FF number at check-in so it recognized my E50 status. It wasn't possible to add a FF number for Spouse's profile, but it showed the status properly on his boarding pass as well, because he had booked the tickets.

Suggest trying to see if you can add it on check-in.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by gcashin
Recent data point from flying last week on a reward ticket. Spouse had booked the flights using his points. I was able to add my FF number at check-in so it recognized my E50 status. It wasn't possible to add a FF number for Spouse's profile, but it showed the status properly on his boarding pass as well, because he had booked the tickets.

Suggest trying to see if you can add it on check-in.
I was unsuccessful adding my FF# for my reward redemption from YYZ-NRT using my mother's AC points.  
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
add FF on check in.

I added AP FF #'s on check-in. It was an on-screen option just prior to seat selection. For those who say it is not possible, I suggest looking carefully at the screen (hypertext) when on line.

What are the advantages:
- priority boarding;
- priority upgrades when available.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
In my experience, it's only possible to add Aeroplan numbers to AP reward bookings for passengers other than the first one on the PNR. For example, I've never been able to add my number to a booking made with my wife's points when I'm the only passenger, but I do it all the time when we're on the same itinerary.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:57 am
alc

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What are the advantages:
- priority boarding;
- priority upgrades when available.
I think I might have posted this before, but can't remember for sure. But another adv of having this in the system make a big diff during IROPS. Many many years ago, I have a reward ticket (YYZ-YVR-HKG) and AC007 was delay and delay and end up canceling at the end. During the early evening when AC still think they will make it, they are giving out meal voucher ($8 if I remember correct) to all PAX. After I used up the voucher, I headed to the lounge, that is when I notice they are asking PAX what food and drink they want from a list of choices - not the food from within the lounge. Based on the items on the list and the normal price that I know around YVR area, they are at least $12 to $20 (depending what you order). But this is not the biggest diff, when the flight got cancel, connecting PAX like me got put to hotel. I got the Fairmont at YVR with breakfast voucher, while the other PAX got Days Inn (and others that I can't remember) near by YVR. In both occasion, I had to show my AC*E card to remind them I am a status member, as they didn't automatically come to me and even looking for me. They tried to get me to go to Days Inn as they said "Fairmont only have limited rooms available" and then I said why other status who is in the line behind me (we are at the lounge) already got a room assigned and I didn't have one. She reply stating they didn't know I am a status member. After some going back and fore, they got a room for me. So, ever since then, I always try my best to put my AP # on all my reward ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. Looks quite variable in people's experiences. I will update once I've checked in at YFC
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

So the check in agent "added" my number to the ticket, however it still didn't show up on my boarding passes. He said that he didn't know of a way how to add it. Oh well..
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
My family and I have had issues with transborder flights. If one can not add one's frequent flyer number and/or nexus number, then the TSA may not recognize you as a frequent flyer - then one more often gets the dreaded SSSS printed on the boarding pass.

Several months ago, I flew transborder on someone else's Aeroplan award ticket. I could only add my (SE) frequent flyer number and nexus number at airport check-in - I got the SSSS.

My sister-in-law recently flew from YEG to KOA via YYC and LAX. She flew economy class on an Aeroplan frequent flyer award from my SE account. She could not (for some technical reasons) add on-line or through the AC telephone reservations agent her FF number and her nexus number; it was added at the check-in counter. The dreaded SSSS. Same thing happened a few months earlier with my daughter (flying with myself and my wife) - her frequent flyer number and nexus number could only be added at airport check-in; SSSS was printed on the boarding pass.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My family and I have had issues with transborder flights. If one can not add one's frequent flyer number and/or nexus number, then the TSA may not recognize you as a frequent flyer - then one more often gets the dreaded SSSS printed on the boarding pass.
Im curious if this is anecdotal or confirmed? I have had a SSSS once. I had my NEXUS and FF numbers on it.....but I am 1 data point
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Im curious if this is anecdotal or confirmed? I have had a SSSS once. I had my NEXUS and FF numbers on it.....but I am 1 data point
Did you add them on-line or by phone on the day before departure, or before that? When I have been successful adding them at least 1 day before departure, I have never got the SSSS.

I am wondering if the AC check-in agent at the airport for Aeroplan award tickets is able to send the information on Aeroplan number and nexus number to TSA, just printing out the boarding pass; and if the TSA can instantaneously decide how to give a normal security clearance, SSSS security clearance, or (for flights from USA to Canada) TSA precheck.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
In my experience, it's only possible to add Aeroplan numbers to AP reward bookings for passengers other than the first one on the PNR. For example, I've never been able to add my number to a booking made with my wife's points when I'm the only passenger, but I do it all the time when we're on the same itinerary.
I did experience this. Booked AP reward ticket for me and my wife. When I tried to check in, system allowed to update the AP number in my wife's FF#.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Did you add them on-line or by phone on the day before departure, or before that? When I have been successful adding them at least 1 day before departure, I have never got the SSSS.

I am wondering if the AC check-in agent at the airport for Aeroplan award tickets is able to send the information on Aeroplan number and nexus number to TSA, just printing out the boarding pass; and if the TSA can instantaneously decide how to give a normal security clearance, SSSS security clearance, or (for flights from USA to Canada) TSA precheck.

I provided the info via APIS at time of booking. Mind you, it wasn't an Aeroplan reward ticket. My 1 data point was a revenue ticket with my NEXUS # provided. My FF # would be included anyways as my BP did show 75k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.