Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw the French wine (Corbieres, Bertrand) at Costco today. $15.00.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
I saw the French wine (Corbieres, Bertrand) at Costco today. $15.00.
is that before or after tax? here in BC it's $20 + 15% at BC Liquor Stores.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenSenise
is that before or after tax? here in BC it's $20 + 15% at BC Liquor Stores.
Probably before. So add 0.10 bottle plus 5%, end up with $15.85.

But remember, for international flights, not only do they not pay taxes, also not custom duties, so probably quite a bit less.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Probably before. So add 0.10 bottle plus 5%, end up with $15.85.

But remember, for international flights, not only do they not pay taxes, also not custom duties, so probably quite a bit less.

Either way no matter where you are a 15 to 20 buck bottle at retail. May as well just drink the champagne.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Either way no matter where you are a 15 to 20 buck bottle at retail. May as well just drink the champagne.
Sure. But I also like a glass of red wine. Anyway, I would be ashamed serving wines at that price point to hosts at home.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AC Altitude SE100K, HH Diamond
Sure. But I also like a glass of red wine. Anyway, I would be ashamed serving wines at that price point to hosts at home.
Although I enjoy a Corbieres I'd be more likely to serve it in a casual context, say, with cold cuts and cheese or a hearty stew - it's hardly a wine that is consistent with an "executive/first" experience and looks totally out of place next to even a modest Champagne.

I don't fly International often but when I do, I find the AC wines to be decidedly underwhelming (hence I drain a number of glasses of the Champagne.)

At the risk of raising the ire of the mods (although I do think the information to be relevant in helping to establish a reasonable expectation of what AC could/should offer), what are some examples of wines served on other lines?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by AleEat
what are some examples of wines served on other lines?
ANA and EVA post their menus online. You can find the wine list from there.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
ANA and EVA post their menus online. You can find the wine list from there.
They are not as good as they used to be. This said, price point is still at least twice the AC one, possibly more.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:19 am
Suspended

Wow, what a bunch of wine snobs!

what does the price of a bottle have to do with whether you would serve it to company or not? i've bought bottles of bordeaux here that were $50 and absolutely foul. So foul that I could not drink them and I poured them down the drain. Should I serve those anyway or a great tasting $20-25 bottle of wine?

I find it hard to believe that people could judge what should or shouldn't be served in AC J solely by its price. There are many great wines that are inexpensive and loads of lousy wines that are expensive.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:30 am

what does the price of a bottle have to do with whether you would serve it to company or not? i've bought bottles of bordeaux here that were $50 and absolutely foul. So foul that I could not drink them and I poured them down the drain. Should I serve those anyway or a great tasting $20-25 bottle of wine?

I find it hard to believe that people could judge what should or shouldn't be served in AC J solely by its price. There are many great wines that are inexpensive and loads of lousy wines that are expensive.
All true. But your guests at home are not paying customers.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously it's not solely by price. This said, I don't find that there is a better indicator of quality than price. To start with, there is a definite significant connection between production cost and quality. Yield being an important factor. Soil too.

Obviously exceptions happen, and there are better and worse wines at comparable prices, but only within reason. But if a $50 bottle is absolutely foul, then the issue is likely with that particular bottle, not the wine itself.

What can happen is that for similar prices, wines from a less known region end up better. But that's clearly not the issue here. Already factored in, and the AC selection is actually not bad for the price, not bad at all. But that does not make it acceptable.

Bottom line: I would not have taken the job of AC sommelier given their budget.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Bottom line: I would not have taken the job of AC sommelier given their budget.
I think it would be a wonderful challange. i'm all about value; finding the gem for cheap.
james dean likes this.

Last edited by BenSenise; Sep 25, 2017 at 6:47 am Reason: Too off topic
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:12 am

I think it would be a wonderful challange. i'm all about value; finding the gem for cheap.
It's certainly fun in the context of home use or for a small restaurant. Finding "gems" in the quantities required by an airline however adds a less fun dimension to the challenge.
james dean likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AleEat
It's certainly fun in the context of home use or for a small restaurant. Finding "gems" in the quantities required by an airline however adds a less fun dimension to the challenge.
Good point. I started thinking about AC doing a Canadian wine promotion but then I realized that the entire production from a single vinyard wouldn't be enough.

Does anyone have any idea of how many bottles of a particular wine AC buys? Any wild guesses?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
AC 11 YVR-TPE oct 6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.